19 year old boy starting again!

Ally158

I echo what others have said. So sorry to hear you had a rotten time. But don`t let it put you off. There will be better teachers out there, and hopefully you will find one who doesn`t treat paying customers like crap ! The best of luck to you and do let us know how you get on. Perhaps Manchester or North West based Forum members will know of someone suitable ?

• Like 1

This seems to be a problem that crops up quite a lot - a class that's supposed to be for beginners but tends to be the same people going time and again and again until it's more like a social group, and they resent outsiders.

A teacher who tells a pupil in public, however obliquely, that he should give up and go away is a teacher who isn't worth respecting.

• Like 3

I don't know if you can get to Leeds but Northern Ballet offers a course for complete beginners as well as beginners classes.

I'm on my phone so posting links is problematic.

I'm not a dancer myself but I have chums who are and I know how much pleasure it gives them. Please don't give up because of this dreadful experience.

• Like 1

I fully support everyone who has posted here so far.

A good teacher would have been at your side giving you quick adaptations throughout the lesson .......only seven others ......if there had been 27 others may be it would have been more difficult to get round but even then a word of encouragement here and there would have helped.

If the teacher did think the class was too difficult for you she may have helped you at the end to find another class.

Also what about the other students in this class? They could have been more helpful too......perhaps they knew of other classes you could attend in your area.

Altogether a poor show and please don't give up .......I don't know how far away you are from Leeds or Huddersfield but there do seem to be some good classes there(a bit too far to Brighton unfortunately!) from things other posters have said on balletco.

Perhaps you could also back up the ballet with a Pilates or yoga class to help with core strength etc.

• Like 1

I'm sorry to hear of the way you were treated and I agree with what other people have said - that is not a typical ballet class and the teacher you had was not a real teacher. You deserved better.

I have seen classes start out as proper beginners' classes, but have become a bit more advanced over time as the same people have stayed on, and so the teacher moves the class on. This may have happened in the class you went to, and a real teacher would have explained this. But this definitely doesn't excuse that teacher's attitude.

I am very shocked at the way you were treated. I really hope you are able to find a better class.

• Like 2