Natalia Kremen Ballet School

tomuchtallent

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lilac, I hope your DD has "Russian" turn out... 

I do know some adults who have been taking lessons from one of the teachers who works there (may not be the same one your DD took a lesson from, though).  I will PM you later.

DD went for private lesson today, with one of Natalia's teachers. She felt that she was corrected for a lot of what she did, even when it was how she'd been shown to do it previously. For example, in fifth, she was told to have the front foot completely parallel to the back foot. Apparently at associates they were told only to do that if it was completely comfortable, and so on with other positions etc. I am looking for options to supplement her local training. Would this arise from the teachers there being Russian so have different methods? In that case could it be detrimental to DD to be exposed to this at 15?

Lilac, I think that depends on what exam/vocational school entrace audition your DD is aiming for.  Plus how your DD responds to learning different school of ballet at the same time.

I think Natalia's teachers are all trained in Russia or former USSR (Vaganova-method), and yes, (for instance) RAD and Vaganova-method are different.

Is she hoping to get into vocational school in the UK next year, for instance?

edited to say:- ps, I have pm-ed you.

Edited by mimi66

• 2 years later...

My friends DD did this summer school last year and very much enjoyed it too inspire of being spoken to in Russian on occasions!!

She also didn't mind catching a glimpse of Muntagirov the younger one day when he came to see/pick up,his dad!!

I'm sure this is a very good school but I do find that teachers who are very recently from Russia have this tendency to go for the flat turn out position in 5th.....there is often no suggestion that the strength of turn out comes from the hip and not the feet!!

Obviously it is something to be worked towards and probably not something to do immediately if a very young student. But I suppose in Summer Schools or occasional one off lessons maybe the teacher who may not be working with the student ever again may be just trying to convey the ideal I don't know.

Some people ( as has been pointed out on this forum many times) may never achieve the completely parallel 5th position.....it does not mean they cannot dance!!

In the end a student has to find the 5th position they can actually work from and this means having the control at the top of the leg/ hip area etc.

However when you do see someone lucky enough to be able to use a near flat turn out 5th it does look VERY nice!!

Again you have vocational and recreational students studying ballet. The RAD are rightly more cautious in their approach because it's a system for ALL students not just those who go on to make ballet a career. Hence there is no forced turn out imposed.

My dd did the summer school this year and really enjoyed it!

That's good to hear, Sam.  I taught the Ballet History module and I was really impressed with the classes I watched and by the fact that no-one fell asleep during my class, even though it was very hot and they were very tired!  :)

• Like 7

My daughter trained with the Bolshoi in Moscow. The turn out is very much taught from the hips and most certainly not the knees. In the two years she was there she had no injuries. The stretching gymnastics they are taught seems to build remarkable strength and flexibility. My daughter was very lucky to have the desired flat turn out, banana feet with sway back legs so found the desired turnout natural for her. Don't forget these students are selected to train at these schools. It's a shame that you felt your dds turnout was being forced from the knees as that is a big no, no at the Vagonava and Bolshoi.

Edited by primrose
  • Like 1