Beatrice Parma - Turkish State Opera and Ballet

Claire Souet - National Theatre Ballet Brno

Eneko Amoros Zaragoza - Estonian National Ballet

Matteo Di Loreto - Estonian National Ballet

Daniel Martinez - New York Dance Theatre

Rimbaud Patron - Scottish Ballet

Kevin Poeung - Northern Ballet

Vincent Tapia - National Theatre Ballet Brno

Found this the other day on Royal Conservatoire of Scotland's website under "Overview". Their BA programme started in 2009.

"Our first cohort of students is about to graduate, with several going straight into the profession with contracts from the likes of the Vienna Festival Ballet, the National Theatre of Scotland, and Northern Ballet."

Anyone know anything of the destination of students from the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland?

You've probably already looked at the website - and all they've said is this (hopefully someone with have some "inside information" for us):

Graduate Destinations

The programme aims to provide the professional skills and network of contacts needed by graduates to embark on a professional dance career. Graduates from the Royal Conservatoire are working all over the world in a huge variety of careers, and over 90% of students are in employment or further training within six months of graduation.

Interesting to note that Chase O'Connell who went from RBS to Paris Opera (in the 2011 RBS list of graduates) actually trained for as many years at Kirov Academy in Washington as he did at RBS. I only happen to know about this particular young man because DS noticed me reading the RBS list and said Chase was actually a Kirov graduate. It just shows that listing graduate contracts doesn't tell the whole story...

You are right. And sometimes graduates leave to go elsewhere or re train, others stay another year if they havn't been able to find a job. Many times or example the RBS have claimed 100 employment but this isn't the complete picture And yes, some students are only there for a matter of months before getting contracts.

I believe all the schools have pretty much the same success rate in this very tough job market and the standard of the graduates is high accross the board but there are a variety of reasons as to why they don't all find employment which should not be seen as a reflection on themselves or the schools. It really is tough out there.

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 3

It used to be that Northern Ballet would always take one (sometimes even two) graduates from Central on....now it seems that they're "shopping" at ENBS and other schools. I wonder why that is? A historical link that has fallen by the wayside?

Cannot be sure of this information but I have been told that RBS students do not actually 'graduate' until they have managed to secure a contract. This would make sense of the 100% employment rate. As has been mentioned previously many of the contracts new graduates gain (from all the schools not just Royal) are short-term or only for a certain production as well as the apprentice positions which at least Central is honest enough to state as such.

• Like 2

I note that ENB has not taken any students from ENBS this year, which I don't think happens very often There could be different reasons for this. I do know that ENB took on a couple of new artists this September but they may not have been new graduates.

Ribbons, you could say the same thing about the RB and the RBS. Regarding ENBS, I think that you have to take into account that it only has an upper school.

Yes I know, but they don't call themselves 'english national'. I just find the irony mildly amusing but maybe it's just me :)

Currently at ENBS first year there are 6 British girls and 6 International girls. Currently at RBS first year Upper School there are 5 British girls and 10 International girls. The way I look at it is in 3 years time so many students around the World will be trying to get contracts, so you might as well see what your competition is before you get to that stage and it just goes to show how fantastic the training is here in the UK for the International students to want to come. Obviously this is purely my opinion. LTD

Most of international student at RBS and ENBS..are well trained before arriving in UK......They are coming here just to use schools name to get a job.....

I have heard the same said about the Bolshoi School, a lot of foreign students are coming to the school so they can add this to their CVs.

Primrose - I have always noticed lots of international students on the ENBS lists - one of the reasons why we chose Elmhurst (don't tell me off, just a personal preference!)

Definately true, There have always been lots of international students at ENBS. Same is true of RBS Upper school but they do seem to have more British students actually graduating.

Just to add, there are very, very few young British RBS trained dancers in the Royal Ballet. I can only think of Yasmine Naghdi.

Well I can think of at least half a dozen straight away, including for example Ruth Bailey , Francesca Hayward, Tierney Heap and the wonderful James Hay.

And thats before looking at the list of current dancers! Incidently some of the international dancers (Laura Morera for example) did actually train at both lower and upper school.

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 2

I am not disputing the training in Great Britain is not one of the best, just wondering why they take so many students from outside their own upper schools? Why take these students with their wonderful potential and not use them.I for one would love to see them in a company performance. I am also sure that I would be just as happy to see a majority of our own students as apposed to the ones from abroad or would I?

My question is: why would you assume someone is not British because of their name? You might be able to guess their ancestry or cultural background although you might not be right in your guess. However, it's not clear to me how you can know what passport someone holds or where they grew up or really much at all about them by their name alone even if it you think it is a "foreign" name. (I'm not addressing the merits of admitting international students or not - just saying that it seems a bit presumptuous to characterize people based on their names.)

Edited by Natalma

My question is: why would you assume someone is not British because of their name? You might be able to guess their ancestry or cultural background although you might not be right in your guess. However, it's not clear to me how you can know what passport someone holds or where they grew up or really much at all about them by their name alone even if it you think it is a "foreign" name. (I'm not addressing the merits of admitting international students or not - just saying that it seems a bit presumptuous to characterize people based on their names.)

There is no suggestion that any assumptions about people's nationalities, British or otherwise, are made on the basis of name and I am insulted that you think that i might be so ignorant of British culture and heritage! Equally, many dancers from abroad do not have 'foreign' sounding names as you put it! e.g. some from America or Australia may have very British-sounding names.

All comments on dancers are made on the basis of knowledge e.g. all companies have biographies that clearly state where dancers are from and where they have trained and many of us have dancers at the schools and know which students are British and which have come from other countries.

We are talking about whether schools/companies take British or foreign students, regardless of what their names sound like!!!!!!

You can check the names of the dancers through company websites and it usually states where the person is from/trained. I would prefer and this is my own opinion that the greater majority of pupils should be born in Britain. I am sure there are schools around the world where they will only take their own nationalities. I understand that companies will want the best dancers from all over the world and I have no problem with this, however I do think our schools should be training our own dancers first. I know I may sound like I have a cheek as my own dd trains abroad, but again thats because its one of the best schools in the world and she was accepted so of course like many students coming into Britain we had to take advantage of that.

• Like 3