He needn't ask twice

I definitely told him

Who's been naughty, who's been nice

A moment more, Mr. Santa!

Before you take flight

Fill carefully each pointe shoe

Merry Christmas - Good night!

• Like 12

That was lovely,Anjuli. Am on this Forum this morning killing time. Normally I like to prepare the vegetables on Christmas Eve so they are done with. But the TV in my son`s room is broken so we are sharing the one set that`s normally in the living room.I really enjoy Midsomer Murders and it was on last night;a feature length.Had to watch it on my laptop ,2 and a half hours after it was on the TV,so it wasn`t over until gone midnight.I know i should have prepared the veg before Midsomer Murders started to get it over with,but i was being lazy,just lounging around.! I couldn`t be bothered starting to peel the veggies at midnight so i set my alarm for 8.30 this morning.The roast potatoes,carrots,cauliflower,broccolli, and sprouts are done.Turkey breast in the oven [we always get a turkey breast every year from Sainsbury`s; there`s only me and my 16 year old son so a whole bird,even a smaller one would be a waste]. Only put on 9 sprouts to cook,just for myself, as my son hates them. Must do myself some Paxo stuffing in the microwave too,just enough for me. Why are kids such fussy eaters??? Anyway,I`m waffling a load of old nonsense. Have a great day,everyone.xx

• Like 3

Anjali that is brilliant! Made me chuckle. The quays I live your waffling! Children are definitely growing up in this house... This year it was hubby and I lying in bed wondering if it was too early to go and jump on their beds and wake them up shouting "it's Christmas! Can we open our presents yet?!" Dd hasn't been up before midday since getting home for the hols! Merry Crhistmas one and all x

• Like 4

I love your ode Anjuli.  I do hope everyone is having a good day.  Well Mum, Chunkyog and I have got the house back to ourselves as my nieces have eaten their lunch and gone off to do their own thing.

I'm not a great cook but the dinner must have been OK because it all got eaten.  Chunkydog and Marleymoo (G's large puppy) enjoyed plenty of chicken too!

• Like 3

My dinner is yet to come.  

We are going to our son's house so my six yr old grandson can show me all his new toys (trucks and more trucks) and then together with my daugher in law's parents - a big buffet at a hotel resort facing directly on the beach.  This has a huge advantage - when my grandson starts to get restless, he goes out and plays on the beach with other children (equally restless) and we can watch it all from our seats in the diningroom.

Hope everything went merrily for you!

• Like 3

Well the Christmas dinner was delish,if I say so myself. As usual,Sean[16 yr old son] was asleep, letting me get on with it.Was up at 8.30 am,and everything was on the dining room table ,including lovely candle lit,at about 1.30 p m.So I call up to Sean who has been in his room all this time that lunch is ready.No reply.I go up to his room and he`s still fast asleep.I wake him,telling him everything is set out,and he tells me he has been up all night chatting to his friends on the XBOX, or on the laptop or something or other,and didn`t get to sleep until nine this morning. He grunts,turns over covering his head with the duvet and says he`ll have his meal later when he wakes up. So I had a lovely,lonely meal. Then I fell asleep on the sofa [as you do on Christmas Day]. He`s only just woken up now [5.30pm] and said he`s not hungry yet. Feel a bit let down by him, to be honest after all the trouble and effort I went into making the damn thing. Teenagers can be so bloody selfish sometimes. Grr .Rant over. I`m going to eat some Quality Street.!!

• Like 2

Well the Christmas dinner was delish,if I say so myself. As usual,Sean[16 yr old son] was asleep, letting me get on with it.Was up at 8.30 am,and everything was on the dining room table ,including lovely candle lit,at about 1.30 p m.So I call up to Sean who has been in his room all this time that lunch is ready.No reply.I go up to his room and he`s still fast asleep.I wake him,telling him everything is set out,and he tells me he has been up all night chatting to his friends on the XBOX, or on the laptop or something or other,and didn`t get to sleep until nine this morning. He grunts,turns over covering his head with the duvet and says he`ll have his meal later when he wakes up. So I had a lovely,lonely meal. Then I fell asleep on the sofa [as you do on Christmas Day]. He`s only just woken up now [5.30pm] and said he`s not hungry yet. Feel a bit let down by him, to be honest after all the trouble and effort I went into making the damn thing. Teenagers can be so bloody selfish sometimes. Grr .Rant over. I`m going to eat some Quality Street.!!

I think every parent of a teenager has experienced some version of this - don't feel down.  It's part of the parenting of teenagers.  They just see the world so differently, it is hard for us to remember and to understand their view.  He loves you - he just doesn't realize how you pictured the day because his view of it is so different.  Teenage sons love their mothers - they just don't equate sitting down to a lovingly prepared meal as an expression of that love.  

As my son once told me (at age 19) "Mom this just isn't a guy thing."   A "guy thing" is going off with his friends - but in his heart he loves the fact that you are in his life.  

• Like 5

Thank you so,so much for that Anjuli.I feel better for having read that. I know you are right.He is a lovely boy;very patient,tolerant and kind to others,so i think he maybe,as you say, sees the day differently and just doesn`t understand it from my point of view.Yes,his mates are becoming increasingly more important to him.One in particular he was at school with.Sean has left school now and is at the local Further Education college,but him and his friend [also an only child] are as close as brothers.He spends any spare time he can down at his friend`s house,and sleeps over. Sometimes I feel like I have become a part time mother to him over the past year.But I accept that he is getting older,becoming more independant and it will be down to me to also make a transition.

• Like 2

Dear Lisa,my non dd was always a very difficult child as she had ADHD. When she was in her teens and very early twenties, I thought I had lost her permanently as we butted heads so often. Her ADHD has gone, by some miracle, and she is a lovely young woman. We are close again and I am so proud of her. Hang in there and if it gets too bad, you have us to vent with here. x

• Like 4

My youngest niece doesn't "do dinners".  The last time she had Christmas Dinner with the rest of us was when she was around 14.  She had 2 rounds of toast which she made herself!!  Imagine my total shock when she agreed to have some chicken, pigs in blankets and roasties with us today!!!  She even told me it was delicious!!!

• Like 4

Yes thequays this is so true they do come through it. I think the middle to late teens is the most difficult age to deal with judging from Friends children. I have been having some lovely conversations with twenty something's which used to be just grunts and barely hello when in teens!

Deep down he knows you have made this effort which he hasn't been able to appreciate but I'm sure it's in his memory bank and you will get a lovely surprise at some point in the future!!

Have a lovely Boxing Day!! Still haven't seen the ballet on tv but all recorded had to suffer Home Alone 2 instead which didn't seem so bad after a couple of large Baileys!!

• Like 3

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. Well he woke up eventually and ate all his dinner,even got a "Thanks,that was nice" off him. Actually to be fair to him,he always always says please and thank you. I taught him these two phrases when I was teaching him to speak.It was "yes please"and "no thank you".Not just yes and no,so he has always said them without thinking,really. Managed to prize the TV off him to watch Don Quixote which was fab,of course.He couldn`t get a taxi tonight so has cycled to his friend`s house in the neighbouring village called Bessbrook which is 3 miles away.His friend is moving house tomorrow,further away so wanted to see him in his old house before he moved.The two are inseperable so don`t know what he will do when his friend moves further towards Newry.The buses stop running at 6pm on normal days.Sean said he will be home definately tomorrow for his Boxing Day meal at some point. He`d better,or i`ll give him a clip round the earhole.!

• Like 2

Oh The Quays, I do so understand. I was just talking to my 27 year old ( and now lovely) son in the car - I drove a three hour round trip in pouring rain on the evening of Christmas Day to collect him and bring him home because he was working- about how when he was younger he really didn't appreciate the things I did, he was self centred and when I was young I was very self centred too! We concluded that it is not deliberate or in any way a slight on ones parents, it is a natural and normal part of growing up and finding out about yourself and who you are. Only when you have that figured out can you look outwards and appreciate those around you even if they aren't always of exactly the same opinion! I am sure that Sean absolutely loves that he has a safe secure home where he knows he is loved and cares for and can be himself, even though he hasn't yet figured out that you have put such a huge effort into making it so. He will and when it happens it'll bring tears to your eyes, as it does to mine to realise just how proud you are of the fine young man you have raised! Congratulations to you on being a great mum who can give him the support, love and space that he needs while he's figuring it out xxx

• Like 4

Oops Sorry! It's a good job I only went for the edited version, the full length version is a real ter-jerker . But I will just say that I didn't mind the drive one bit because the best Crhistmas present I could possibly have is Ito have my son at home, looking healthy and happy! there have been times when I thought it would never happen. I have all four of my children at home at Christmas for the first time in many years and it means the world to me! Xx

Edited to add .... Even though they are all still in bed while I'm cooking the lamb!

Edited by along for the ride mum
  • Like 2