Injuries and auditions

meggy13

Just a question from a dancing mum that isnt sure how all this works.  My daughter is now auditioning for vocational 6th form places.  I wondered if any of you can be totally honest and advise me if the fact she has to take a physio letter excusing her from stretching/splits etc and leg height above 90 will go against her.  I was told by one mum this would.   I am worried I am letting her audition at a time when maybe we should wait for another year? Please advise if you can.

It depends why she can't do the stretches I would imagine. If you've already paid for the auditions no harm will come if she just does her best. If she doesn't succeed this year then at least next year she will have the experience of auditions under her belt.

• Like 1

I think it's really down to your daughter.

If she is slightly injured at the moment so knows she can't do her absolute best but doesn't mind just getting the audition experience as Tulip says above and she's happy with this then no reason not to have a go.

However if she is feeling particularly sensitive about being injured and not being able to do her best then may be best to wait.

Best to get to the bottom of how she really feels.

Is the injury she has likely to be pretty much only a shortish temporary situation or is it a more serious injury which may need more time to fully recover from........because this could also be taken into consideration when deciding what's the best thing to do.

The trouble is there seem to be so many chasing these sixth form places that from any particular schools point of view can they afford to be generous to a student who is injured however sympathetic they may feel about it?

Will she feel comfortable among students auditioning who are able to perform to their best ability?

Others on the forum will be able to advise more about the actual injury itself and how much it's likely to impact on performance. Sacrificing a bit of leg height sounds okay but will it effect jumping as well?

I would echo the advice to speak to the schools concerned in advance. We were in a very similar position several years ago and requested the latest audition dates possible abd all the schools were very understanding. Do remember they will be used to dancers having injuries. I would ask whoever is writing your advice letter to state that they anticipate the injury to have no long-term effects on a dancing career if they are happy to do so. Also it is less likely to be a problem if there are recall auditions and your dd will be fully recovered by them. It will be hard for your dd to restrain herself and not push beyond what she has been advised but tell her to concentrate on performance quality and keeping her leg lower etc will show them she is well disiplined.

• Like 3