Christmas/New Year - how will you cope with your ballet class withdrawal syndrome?

mimi66

I woke up this morning (miserable and grey!) at the usual time, only to realise that I do not need to rush to my usual Saturday morning class - Christmas is nearly upon us, and not much classes around for the next week or so.

I am fully intent on taking a 2 weeks break from all my classes over the Christmas period. Today is my day 1 of the break. 

But as you can see, the ballet class withdrawal syndrome has already kicked in - I am on the Ballet Co Board despite all the Christmas chores I meant be doing! 

How are you planning to cope with the ballet class withdrawal syndrome this Christmas?  One of my self-prescription is to watch various Youtube clips (dance - mostly ballet) I found and saved up for Christmas.....

Edited by mimi66

Haha glad I am not the only one with this problem! I have managed half a week of my enforced 3 week (!) break so far. I wasn't the one to make the connection but my family have pointed out I get really grumpy and depressed when I don't dance for more than a week or so. Oh dear!

Will also be sitting on YouTube lots, trying to distract myself by enjoying time with family I haven't seen for a while, and mostly being a menace by trying to do pirouettes and penchees where there really isn't enough space, and probably destroying a few things/people in the process (have been know to break fridge handle off with my knee trying to do pirouettes in the kitchen!).

Good job my family are used to my flailings and having to walk over the stretching me that takes up the whole free floor space in a room!

• Like 2

FullContratemps, wishing you a full and quick recovery from whatever you are suffering from!

I am resorting to my remedy #2 - cleaning my sitting room with Nutcracker CD on full volume!!

Edited by mimi66

Well if anyone is in the Brighton area next Saturday 28th there is just one class I know will be operating.

It will be at Alive gym just off the main Western Road shopping street(turn off opposite Argos)

It's from 11-12.30 and is a nice easy class about grade 4-6 standard......depending who turns up....but good if you want an easier class just to concentrate on the basics......however it's usually very dancey too with bits of instant choreography by the teacher! Very enjoyable.

And at £6-50 ......or maybe £7 as a drop in is very reasonably priced.

You can go for a walk by the sea afterwards.......though today was absolutely atrocious definitely not walking by the sea weather!!

Or if you fancy taking a risk or two there is always the ice skating down by the Pavilion.

Also that afternoon (and evening) there is the BTUK performance of Nutcracker at the Dome!!

So if you get really fed up with no classes and are in striking distance of Brighton come and have some fun here!!!

Alive Gym is on the Internet.

This is the only class on till 4th Jan in this area.

• Like 1

My elder DD, like Tulip's, is also sleeping, relaxing and adjusting to being back home.  Plenty of academic work to keep her occupied over the holidays though - both IPS and A levels.  Still doing gentle stretching though and working on a choreography assignment.  Younger DD is missing ballet already but today was the first day it was closed!!

• Like 1

For my DD it's : 1. Sleeping till 9ish 2. in her PJ till 12:30 (!!!- honestly this happen today, and when I gave her her lunch she said "oh I didn't have my breakfast yet (!!!) 3. Loads of Pilates and feet exercises/streches. And for me - I'm very happy to spent afternoons and evenings at home for a change :-)

• Like 5

I barely used any petrol last week at all!!

DD did her Pilates & yoga DVDs this morning and regretted not dancing since Tuesday - she says she won't do that again but I'm not convinced

Plus I have this large lumbering teenager all over the house - I'm not used to it - I generally barely see her ;)

• Like 2

Ive noticed that on the Alive Gym website it says the adult ballet is from 11- 12 but it actually goes on till 12.30 Just very occasionally finishes at 12 if there is a special event on in the afternoon which I'm pretty sure there won't be next Saturday on28th.

Ive noticed that if you're a first timer at the Gym you can do a class for £3!!

The studio is reasonably large you can see it in the pictures the one with the mirror along one wall and has a proper barre etc.

So if anyone has the non dance blues come on down to Brighton!!

http://www.adultballet.org.uk/saturdayclass.html

This is another class which will be on next Saturday the 28th a bit harder to find though and further from main part of Brighton.

This is a lovely huge studio in the middle of an Industrial estate and the class is at a much more Intermediate / Advanced level and run by a team of teachers who are all great including ex dancers.

I do this class as well but haven't recently because of my back injury which fortunately is pretty much back to normal.

Also very good value for money!!

I’m on the other side of the fence on the 28th, as I’m at the Royal Opera House to see Jewels, so no ballet for me until the 4th.

However no chance for a rest, at least I get to catch up with house work (when it rains) and garden (when it’s fine), at least I got most of the leaves clear up and the vegetable garden cleared of nettles etc before the storms hit. As they say a change is as good as a rest, however I do want to review and update my fitness related training while I have the chance, as this break will just wiz by.

• Like 1

Well I just had a phone call from DD's teacher asking if DD would like to come up to the studio for a couple of hours on Monday. Having watched the Bolshoi Sleeping Beauty at the cinema on Monday and both the ballets on tv yesterday,DD is getting very restless so I'm grateful that her teacher seems to be similarly affected! However, I may use this as a bit of blackmail material and tell her that she can only go if she does some GCSE revision before Monday........

• Like 5