JA auditions 2012

Happymum

My dd wore a nice camisole leotard & satin ballet shoes with her hair in a bun. Dont think it matters too much about leotard as long as its a good fit. Number is worn on back & front of leotard. Dd found audition enjoyable & not too hard. They do look at feet & legs quite closely.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure a child could wear the most scruffy leotard and worn out shoes but if they had the "x factor" that the panel is looking for they would still get chosen. The only value in getting a nice leotard for the occasion is if it makes the child feel comfortable and confident. And of course most girls like getting new leotards. Well mine certainly does anyway! But as others have said, I'm sure audition wear very rarely influences outcome. Good luck to all auditioning - have fun and enjoy yourselves.

• Like 1

I have to agree with Jellybeans and Pups_mum. It won't matter what you wear. There's no need to go to the trouble of getting a new leotard or new shoes - unless you needed them anyway, of course! And don't worry about waist belts either. If you don't have one, it doesn't matter. A simple bun will be fine for hair too - for the girls, that is! Enjoy!

• Like 1

Speaking as the mother of a boy ...

The only comment I would make is that hair should be in a bun - but not with lots of adoration/fluffy bits/flowers. I can't remember if the letter specifies. Also, don't do what I did and send your child in with shoes where the elastic collapsed half way through the class! Galienne Stock ended up pinning them together for him.

Having said that, he got a place so maybe it got him noticed ..

Above all, enjoy. We have always looked upon auditions as a practice run for next time.

But then I am eyorish (if there is such a word) by nature.

meadowblythe

• Like 2

I have to agree with Jellybeans and Pups_mum. It won't matter what you wear. There's no need to go to the trouble of getting a new leotard or new shoes - unless you needed them anyway, of course! And don't worry about waist belts either. If you don't have one, it doesn't matter. A simple bun will be fine for hair too - for the girls, that is! Enjoy!

Don't the Royal Ballet run the Primary Steps scheme where they go into primary schools sourcing talent? I'm sure those children aren't in brand new leotards and shoes, school PE kits at best. Good luck to everyone trying :)

Hello , I m a newbie !!!! 1st post !

I took my youngest daughter to the JA for a day , it was lovely , quite informal and a really nice atmosphere. The little ones (mine was 7 at the time) seem to have a lovely time although i would say that a huge amount of the children , if they were to audition would find the dicipline side a bit of a shock !! They did bar work and a little in the centre with stretching to finish. There was a productive Qand A session at the end which children and parents/teachers are encouraged to participate.And once everyone got involved answered a great deal of those questions you have always wondered . Very difficult to determine the standard though.

Hi I'm new here too- I took my 8 year old to JA for a day in Leeds and she loved it! She is going into year 4 in sept and we have took the plunge and are auditioning in Leeds 2nd May. I'm a bit worried as she seemed quite a lot bigger than some of the other potential year 4s and hope that won't put her at a disadvantage! She seems happy to go along and enjoy the experience though so we are going to go with the flow!

• Like 1

Hi mumstheword, my daughter is a yr 6 JA and she is around about 5 foot. We haven't met another JA as tall ( except for a boy in her JA class) but there are lots who are almost as tall( and lots that aren't). As has been said many a time on this forum height doesn't seem to have too much bearing on selection it is the proportions that count. So don't worry too much x

• Like 2

Hi all

Another newbie here. My son is auditioning for Elmhurst associates next weekend, after his ballet teacher asked me to apply, and thanks to all of you I now have a bit of a better idea what to expect. It's all rather scary for a mum who hasn't ever done any kind of dancing before!

• Like 1

Im still in two minds whether to let my DD audition at all , as her normal classes are on a saturday , meaning she would miss her RAD ballet , modern and jazz . This would mean at the age of 8 i would be limiting her avenue s somewhat .. Also i dont want to stand in the way of her ballet which she adores . Decisions decisions .

2littledancers - is this for RBS JA??

If so, and you don't want her to miss her normal classes have you looked at other JA programmes? I'm sure I read somewhere that you are in Leeds?

If so, there is JA with northern ballet in Leeds on a Friday night, SLP college in Leeds once a month on a Sunday, Yorkshire scholarship centre in York on Saturday morning.

Think there may be others Manchester way?

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

I've received RBS audition details today. My DD is getting more excited now! I just wanted to wish good luck to all DDs and DSs and their parents. Auditions start in few days - 1st May in Newcastle. We need to wait till 20th (Bristol). All the best and let as now how it went.

• Like 2

Any of the classes look for potential rather than technique!

Definitely potential more than technique.... My daughter auditioned for the last year of JA's and was very behind in her technique due to very limited ballet classes, she was definitely offered a place on potential. :)

• Like 2

hi happymum, we got our info through last week ... my dd doesnt seem excited or nervous yet ,she read the letter to tell her what to expect, not sure what she will be like on the day though as this wll be her first audition. i think i am more nervous and excited than her :) she understands how many go and how many get places so she is prepared for not getting in and so am i!!... but theres this litle glimmer hope in me that she will get in :) 50/50 chance i suppose!!!. her audition is the 9th may so not long now!! good luck to everyone for their auditions xxx

hi it depends on the age younger JA potential year 5 now going into yesr 6 September technique but not necessary to be in a high grade one of the most important things is concentration span as the classes are very focused good luck to all auditioning and let us know the outcome . I am talking about RB JA S