Young Dancer of the Year Award

Jaylou62

It's called the Young British Dancer of the Year Award and it's organised by the Royal Ballet School (well, it always used to be). Here's a link to the info on the ROH site (for the final) http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/young-british-dancer-of-the-year-award-by-the-royal-ballet-school Here's the Wikipedia page. I can't find anywhere that tells you how to enter, but I think it may have passed for this year as the final's in March - hopefully someone else can shed some light on it, or you could try ringing the RBS and asking

Slightly off topic but connected.....inspite of having put the date in my paper and electronic diaries(I always get a diary for my birthday which was last week) that today was the booking opening date to see this competition in March for the 2014 competition Ive managed to miss it!! So no doubt already sold out now!

DD is an SA and got her application form through RBS - they are encouraging all to apply. Closing date is 27th January. seems a bit daunting to me, with auditions GCSE's etc and i would have thought more for vocational students. On the other hand, the experience of entering sounds like fun and she would like to have a go, just have to see if we can fit it in to this busy year. Has anyone else on here had experience of this ?

My dd did this a few years ago. She actually competed 3 years running, the first year was before vocational school. It is a great opportunity to see inside RBS. The first round was on a Saturday and was in the form of a class. There were 3 groups, the final group being mostly non-vocational students. The semi final is held on the Sunday so if you get through that you have to stay overnight if not local to London. The finals are held the following weekend. The competition has a lot of RBS students!

3 (I think) scholarships to summer schools were awarded to the best non-vocational students.

Edited by Strawberyy
  • Like 1

When my dd competed. The first round was a class - semi finals were a solo and a class presentation. The finals were 2 solos, same one as semi final plus another. There was a list of the solos you could use. I am sure if you ring RBS upper school they will send you the details.

If you google YBDY there is a blog from a competitor - not sure of the protocol about copying the link.

• Like 1