John Cranko school of ballet

goldfish

It is an excellent school.  DD applied several years ago.  It was the year Rambert School asked for a DVD of the dancer to accompany the application form. So we filmed one. (However with the subsequent outcry, Rambert dropped this requirement.)  As we had the DVD already we decided to sent a copy to Stuttgart.  The only trouble was, they replied by e-mail saying they couldn't get it to play, and could we send a different format.  So if you do go this route, try to find a format that is universal.  Anyway, DD had by then accepted a place at a Vocational School in UK, so we didn't take it any further.

• Like 1

@tulte

we applied last year at rbs upperschool when my dd (was 15 years old) arrived to the finals but she didn't get a place.

We heard a lot of nice things from john cranko school, but at the same time my dd doesn't know german.

At the moment we would like to apply to the school with the best dance classes to improve the tecnique. We were thinking also on ENB school.

Any advice?

I recognise your dilemma as I am also looking further afield at training for my dd . The real consideration , as well as cost, quality of training, language etc has to be whether it is the right fit for own child and whether they can cope. I have nothing but admiration for the children who do seem to thrive overseas but not really confident it would be the right thing for my dd though always worth exploring avenues and opportunities as things can change. Good luck on finding more info and advice on this goldfish!

Worth checking whether the subsidised tuition fees apply only to children of German citizenship or who have lived in Germany for a certain number of years. I would be very surprised if the tuition fees are free for all students, regardless of nationality and residency.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

A friend of my DS is attending this school at the moment- he is 17?18?, from Brazil, this is his second year there. I might be able to get some questions answered via DS if that would be of any use? But maybe not if you are more interested in the experience for girls?

He is a beautiful dancer- he was at prix de lausanne last year and made it to finals - I think the offer came out of that. As far as I am aware from DS John Cranko is considered right up there with the best European schools....

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Came across this great article/interview with Tadeusz Matacz of John Cranko Schule.  Wasn't sure if I should post it here or under a different thread.  I enjoyed reading it.http://www.ilona-landgraf.com/2016/09/a-conversation-with-tadeusz-matacz/

The pictures in that article show ballets that were shown at the Gala of the John Cranko School in July :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/19/2015 at 07:06, balletsoccermom said:

Hi. I'm wondering if anybody would be able to provide a review for this school...what is schedule like. How is training? Thanks!

The only way to get into the school is to pass their examination. For 7-11 years old, they are required to take an examination which is once a year. For school year 2018/2019, their examination will be on May 5th, 2018.  For 12 years and up, their requirement is different. Here's their website in English : http://en.john-cranko-schule.de/admission/

Their cut off date for age is September 10, 2018 for next year entrance examination. For the training of my daughter's class, it's 6 days a week [Mon-Sat]. Hours are varied, depending on which class they are in. She's not in their boarding since we currently reside in Stuttgart. If you look up on their website, there are more information about their class. 

A dancer from our school has just gone there after 2 years of pre-professional training, so she must be 18. She was fundraising for living costs (ie not fees), but so far seems to be having a great time. It's a long way from NZ though!

I can't offer any advice either but I had looked at the school and was curious to know of how the English speaking students integrated with language and style of teaching etc. 

The results speak for themselves. 

Slightly put off by the 6 hours of travelling to get there!! 

My dd did end up going to JCS for her upper school training and just recently graduated from the Academy.  There was no problem with the language as an English speaker.  In the first year, Academy B, they are required to take German language class in addition to other classes in German.  My dd came from Russian training so the style of teaching was very similar.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, balletbean said:

Slightly put off by the 6 hours of travelling to get there!! 

A flight to Frankfurt and a train from there to Stuttgart might be an alternative if flight connections are tricky.

• Like 1