Saying Goodbye

Fiz

When I returned to ballet eighteen months ago, I danced at a local school in my country town for three months. The adult class folded and I began to go to another school ten miles away. I didn't much like it the first few times I went but that didn't last. I grew to love it. I liked the teenagers that we did the show dance with and the show itself was great fun. Over the summer I did some private classes with a new teacher and a new pupil and it was terrific. However during the autumn, I've been unwell off and have only been to a couple of classes. Today was the last one as we are moving in January. I managed to pull my shoulder whilst packing books so my husband drove me up to give in a couple of presents. When I walked out and we drove off, I felt so upset and I still do. I don't know if I will be that lucky again when we move.

Are you moving to Lincoln itself or nearby Fiz?

It is sad when you have to leave somewhere youve enjoyed yourself especially as it was associated with your return to ballet an important event for you....and have you been actually living in the area you are now for quite a long time especially if its where you brought up your children because that must be sad too and then suddenly the reality of it all comes through and overwhelms you.

I was a bit like that last year when I had to retire. Right up to the day it was almost as if it was happening to somebody else and I was completely lost the following September when all the kids went back to school! It felt so strange not going in to work as usual.

It took about three months to adapt in the end and accept was in a different phase of my life.......which I'm very happy with now!

Where ballet is concerned I'm sure there will be classes in and around Lincoln. I think Michelle goes to at least one there.

Anyway you may need time to settle into your new home first.

Hope you feel better soon

Linda xx

• Like 3

We will be in Lincoln itself, Lin. I will be about four minutes walk from Michelle's school. She has kindly given me the teacher's email address but I would like more than one class a week which is all there is here unless I commuted for miles in several different directions!

You are quite right about what you say about changes. We have lived here since October 1984 and our children were born here. We have lived in this house since 1993. It's a beautiful 17th century house which I adore. It is breaking my heart to leave it but we have lovely buyers who love it just as much, so that is big consolation. At the same time, all the packing makes me feel as though we are only camping here now. Mary, my old teacher, was so nice when we said goodbye that I was hard pressed not to break down and cry. I hope we will be as happy as you and your partner are in your new life. Thank you and All4Dancers for being so kind to respond to my whining. This site is a Godsend. Thank you, dear Bruce. x

• Like 5

It isn't whining, Fiz - it's a lament for what is now past, especially as you are going into the unknown. It would be very odd if you didn't feel upset. Perhaps Mary can suggest ballet school possibilities in Lincoln, in addition to your having Michelle's school recommendation? Michelle is at least one person you 'know' in Lincoln - and a fellow ballet student to boot - so that is a comfort. Virtual hugs to you x

• Like 2

A slightly different situation but I definitely recognise the emotion... When dd (the youngest of four children) left primary school in summer. I had been doing the 'school run' for twenty three years and it felt like the end of an era, made all the more poignant by her imminent move to vocational school. It seemed like weeks of 'last ever's and goodbyes and was incredibly emotional. It took me quite a while to pick myself up and I am definitely still adjusting but new adventures await, new friendships to be made and others to be strengthened by a shift in focus. I hope the move goes as smoothly as possible and you enjoy your new horizons x

• Like 3

Hi Fiz

New beginnings, onwards and upwards. I think you have the details of other classes in Lincoln other than the one Kat my teacher runs, I know there is GoDance, as I was due to go to the Sleaford one tonight, but with the thick fog I didn’t go. I hadn’t made any arrangements with them as they are just a fill in when my Angles Theatre class is on break, which it now is. I will see the girls at GoDance Sleaford next week to wish them a happy Christmas etc and probably take some chocolates in too

If you are coming to my class, you had better get your pointe shoes ready as Kat is starting a half hour pointe class after Christmas and she needed at least four students to make it feasible, she has three already with me, so you should make the fourth, as I know you were keen to do pointe work.

All I can say is welcome in advance, and you take care.

• Like 2

It is sad to close some doors, and it is difficult to stand in the "hallway" for a while before things settle down - but new doors will open, Fiz.

Keep these memories tucked away in your heart.  Sometimes the most amazingly wonderful things happen when we least expect it.  And you are the kind of person who will cherish the past and welcome the new adventures when they come along.

Lots of luck, Fiz.

• Like 3

Oh Fiz, change is wonderful full of new opportunities & experiences and it's scary full of challenges & obsticals and it's sad full of loss and regret.

What AnjulBai says about pausing is really useful; don't stagnate but reflect. It's easy to rush into things (especially a mind set) and harder to get out of them.

If you can't find a ballet class straight away consider another type of dance or exercise (ballroom/pilates/yoga) to keep up your flexibility and strength. We moved somewhere with no Ballroom & DH took up Line dancing and Tap; he eventually went back to Ballroom but it took a few months to find a new place & he loved the others in the meantime.

Good luck - & remember 'change management' is a degree subject so doing it well needs research, planning and thoughtful decision making; don't just 'jump'

(Goodness my spelling - I think I fixed most of them - sorry)

Edited by Katymac
  • Like 2

Michelle, the last thing I am thinking about is pointe shoes! This is a good size house and beside the normal family clutter, there is nineteen years of accrued books, CDs, DVDs, books and dance wear. Our daughters have moved out taking the minimum and expecting me to sort it all out, pack it up and get it all moved to Lincoln :-!