Ballet schools in Copenhagen

afab

Hi all,

DH just dropped the bomb that he might be working in Copenhagen next year!!! :wacko:  :blink:

He needs to act quickly on it...

I know it is far stretched but...

Does anybody know of good ballet schools for DD2 and DD3?

DD2 wants to be a ballerina and is 14. It's essential for her that the school has a very good level...

DD3 wants to dance in a good school because she loves dancing but acting is her thing (she's 11)... If you know of English speaking theatre classes as well, that would be fantastic...

DD1 needs a good dance/MT school. She's nearly 16 and will be auditioning in the UK for +16 MT schools this time next year. But for a year, she needs to keep up her level of ballet, jazz, contemporary. She also does singing and theatre...

I realise it's a very strange call for help but one never knows. Someone might know of someone who went somewhere good...

I'd be grateful with any slither of information!

I assume that the Royal Danish Ballet have a school? But I have no other knowledge I'm afraid.

I saw their website but academic school is attached to it and DD2 doesn't speak any Danish of course and has no time to learn enough to go to school there but I'll ring them tomorrow anyway. It's worth a shot! Thank you Legseleven!

If that doesn't work out due to the academic school and language difficulties (maybe it is do-able as it must be at the Bolshoi school for foreign students), perhaps they could suggest alternative schools which don't have academics in-house? I shall keep my fingers crossed for you x

If your DC are doing a certain syllabus it may be worth contacting the headquarters in the UK as they will have a list of schools in Denmark. Years ago I found an excellent school in Cyprus where I did classes whilst I was on holiday. I am sure you will find somewhere and the Bournonville style is very elegant. A lot of Danes speak English but from my own encounters with Danes that have re-located to the UK there will be a few cultural adjustments such as crossing the road etiquette. It is frowned upon to try and cross the road without lights telling you to even if there is no traffic.

• Like 1

You might also try contacting Danish Dance Theatre.  The Artistic Director is Tim Rushton (British).  I saw him at a post show talk a couple of years ago and he seemed a very nice approachable person.  He is making quite a name for himself as an international choreographer - his work Monolith is currently being danced by Rambert. 

• Like 1

Update:

Xmas is looming and things have come to a standstill on a job point of view... More news in the New Year!

As for ballet schools, thank you so much to all the lovely people who sent me ideas and names, privately or on the forum...

I'm sorting through things on the Internet, brushing with difficulty on my Danish thanks to Swedish and the whole thing doesn't seem as impossible nor daunting as it first was...

If you have other ideas, I'm still very much interested. And if things don't work out, who knows I might be able to pass my Copenhagen ballet knowledge onto someone else. I'm a firm believer of help going around and being passed as it is on this fantastic forum...

x

• Like 4

I read an article about the Danish Ballet school and its close links with the theatre there and company etc it did look very good.

However dancers obviously have to be selected for this.......however perhaps they do affiliated classes like our associates scheme here in UK for non attenders of the school itself.

I'm sure you'll also find other ballet schools following schemes like RAD etc in Copenhagen. I get the feeling the Danish are proud of their Company and heritage so I'm sure you'll be okay!

Copenhagen a lot nicer than Reading at any rate!!!

Definitely nicer LinMM! If it doesn't work, we still might have to go to Reading though! I have to say that now that Copenhagen has been mentioned and has had time to settle in me, I'm quite excited by the idea...

Yes there is a selection of course for the Danish Royal Ballet and finding about the level is a bit tricky... DD can always try at least. Another problem is that the ballet school goes with the academic school. One cannot do one and not the other! I'm all for learning the language of the country you live in but it takes time and I don't know how flexible they are with non Danish speaking foreigners...

I have to say I watched the last episodes of Borgen with a new eye!

• Like 1

There's a new episode of The Bridge coming up......a sort of Swedish/Danish conjunction........are these two countries really linked by a bridge?

Anyway was great last time so really looking forward to these new episodes!

Sorry way off track!

It's funny with these subtitled programmes you do almost think you understand the language by the end of a series!!

I also love the French one we get here "Spirals" and learn at least a bit of colloquial/slang French by the end of it!

Unfortunately don't know anyone living in Denmark at mo so no grapevine for this!!

Hello Afab,maybe you have done this already,but Ijust went on the Google.dk search engine and searched for Ballet Schools in Copenhagen then translated the page to English. There is the Kobenhauns Ballet Acadmy.Susanne Heerings Balletskule, Copenhagen Contemporary Dance School,and a link to RAD certified teachers at www.oeis.dk. I didn`t read through any of them so i`ve no idea of language/entrance requirements etc.Good luck.!

• Like 3

Thequays you're wonderful!!!

No i didn't think of doing that...  :(  I only went through google.co.uk! What a silly billy I am!

Thank you so much! I'll have time to browse during the holiday...

Have a very merry Xmas!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update on the Copenhagen front...

Unfortunately, the project fell through so we're back to square one! It's a shame as I was warming to the idea...

Thank you so much for all your answers! As always the forum has been a wonderful help and so many people took time to help me and I am very grateful for it...

I'm sure I'll need your help again in the next future!

Cheers

• Like 8