Too-springy floor?

taxi4ballet

We know somebody who is suffering from sore shins, and they were wondering if the floor might be to blame. It tends to happen after dancing in this particular studio.

I can imagine that can happen - I felt it placed more stress on my body.

Sore shins often means you are not plieing deeply enough when jumping.

DS

I agree with this and would add that often a hard floor or insufficient warmup can be a cause fo sore shins.   I noticed when I took those classes on too springy a floor my body was more tired than it should be.

The floor was not wood but a thick springy (almost like a mattress) rubbery carpet placed over wood.  The studio was in a building owned by the City and I think a purchasing clerk was told to buy  springy flooring and over did it.

Floors that give too much can be as problematic as non-sprung floors. Changing from one surface to another is what causes problems, as opposed to being on one type of surface. Floors that are too springy absorb all the impact of landing (great) but do not allow any rebound so when you land from a jump it's harder to get into the next.

• Like 1

Recently bought my dd the pilates DVD Dynamic 5th, after it was recommended on another thread. DD has been enjoying doing some of the exercises from the programme but can't do all as they require equipment, one piece being a rebounder trampoline. So with Christmas looming have just ordered her a rebounder trampoline - now worrying is this likely to cause her problems? Does anyone have any experience of using a rebounder? Notice there were some in the background on the ENBS art stream programme the other week so assume they are used by some dance students too and not just the RBS students on the DVD.