Royal Ballet - Nutcracker (Christmas 2013)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It definitely wasn't the Hynd production. That was a dance for eight children from the Arts Educational School with parasols and fans. I think the production before was from Jack Carter, although I believe that what a reworking of a previous production. There was a beautiful film (without sound) of John Gilpin dancing in the end of the first act shown at the NFT a few years ago (15 maybe?) Not sure if that was Jack Carter's or earlier. The Hynd production was magic.

• Like 3

Sorry we seemed to have got onto a discussion about ENB ' s Nutcracker (or older versions of!!) and just remembered this is RB thread!

This marks quite a departure for balletcoforum. It is often the case that discussion of ENB's productions/performances turns into something about the RB!!!

• Like 1

Sorry to perpetuate the hi-jacking of the discussion, but I am sure the teapot featured in the Chinese Dance in David Lichine’s landmark production for London’s Festival Ballet in 1957.

I didn’t see the full length version, but, in the early 60’s Act 2 was often presented on the company’s regional tours under the title “The Nutcracker – The Kingdom of Sweets”. I must have seen it two or three times as a youngster at my local theatre, and, if my memory is right, the Chinese Dance featured two girls, and a “mandarin” character who emerged from the tea-pot. His silk parasol, I think, formed the tea-pot lid. The costumes were by Alexandre Benois.

James

• Like 1

This sounds familiar!

However although I was in the thick of it doing ballet in 1957 and went to one gala in London circa 1960 my London ballet watching days didn't start till 1972! So maybe they used this version at some point at the Festival Hall in this period or maybe round about 1975 at the Coli because I think from 1976 onwards it was Hynds production used which obviously then was not the one with the teapot!!

Curiouser and curiouser!!

Sorry to perpetuate the hi-jacking of the discussion, but I am sure the teapot featured in the Chinese Dance in David Lichine’s landmark production for London’s Festival Ballet in 1957.

I didn’t see the full length version, but, in the early 60’s Act 2 was often presented on the company’s regional tours under the title “The Nutcracker – The Kingdom of Sweets”. I must have seen it two or three times as a youngster at my local theatre, and, if my memory is right, the Chinese Dance featured two girls, and a “mandarin” character who emerged from the tea-pot. His silk parasol, I think, formed the tea-pot lid. The costumes were by Alexandre Benois.

James

Did steam come out of the spout? I just found a photo of a teapot in the Lichine production, taken from the back and saying 'note the apparatus for making the steam'.

• Like 1

Did steam come out of the spout? I just found a photo of a teapot in the Lichine production, taken from the back and saying 'note the apparatus for making the steam'.

How brilliant! I don't remember any steam, but it was fifty-odd years ago.

James 

How wonderfully coincidental!! At least it clears up which production the teapot was in!!

Swan66 so sorry missed your beautifully descriptive post about Lauren Cuthbertson in the Royals Nutcracker! Unfortunately I have never seen her dance but I will make a great effort to see her in something this year as she does sound like my kind of dancer. I am glad you got to see her anyway.

This ability to sort of "live" with the music is something I thought Margot Fonteyn did so well (sorry an example from so long ago but she stood out for me with her musicality) It gives the performance such a fresh feel and draws you in. I think Osipova may have this ability too who is dancing now but I need to see her in more ballets as well.

I am going to see Sleeping Beauty on the 5th of April. This is with Osipova but I'm going to look and see when Lauren is performing in another ballet and book to see it!!

Can someone tell me who the cast was on Friday night please. Sent one of my staff to watch as a Christmas pressy and they run out if the cast list

I've pm'd you.

Main ones were

Drosselmeyer Marriott, Clara Westcombe, Hans-Peter Kay, Sugar Plum Takada, Her Prince Hristov, Rose Fairy Stix-Brunell