Birmingham Royal Ballet - The Nutcracker - Winter 2013

IMO this is the best production of Nutcracker ,I see from the casting that Laura Day is due to perform Clara a perfect casting , I have seen this young lady through her years at the RBS a super dancer (wondered if her size would hinder her) but she has found the ideal company ,just wish I could see the performance.

• Like 2

Went to see this on Saturday evening and loved every minute - not just because my DS was one of the boys , but because the whole evening was magical and carried me away to memories of childhood . Thought Karla Doorbar was outstanding as Clara , and time fails me to mention everyone else who impressed ! Loved the scenery the costumes and specially the way the tree grows and the soldiers become real not to mention the fireworks and magic tricks !

What a memorable evening !

IMO this is the best production of Nutcracker ,I see from the casting that Laura Day is due to perform Clara a perfect casting , I have seen this young lady through her years at the RBS a super dancer (wondered if her size would hinder her) but she has found the ideal company ,just wish I could see the performance.

Totally agree with you about Laura Day. I will be seeing her at matinee on 4th December

• Like 1

Just back from today's Nutcracker matinee. Miki Mizutani made a delightful Clara, acting well in Act 1 and dancing very well throughout, with a lovely quality in her movement. Celine Gittens was a radiant Sugar Plum, well supported by Tyrone Singleton. It was good to see Michael O'Hare, as the Grandfather, a warm characterisation, more subtle than some, and Valentin Olovyannikov made a sympathetic Drosselmeyer. Samara Downs was a gracious Snow Fairy followed by a spirited Spanish dancer. Luke Schaufuss  appeared twice (a Wind and in the Arabian Dance); his resemblance, in looks, to his father is uncanny. What a wonderful production, charming in Act 1 and less cheesy or vulgar in Act 2 than some productions.

• Like 4

I saw the two performances of the Nutcracker yesterday and BRB is looking to be in dazzling form.

In the afternoon Arancha Baselga was a delight as Clara and her dancing partner at the party was the dashing Lachlan Monaghan.  Cesar Morales was a wonderfully elegant and eloquent Nutcracker Prince with both Clara and a radiant Elisha Willis as Sugar Plum.  Alys Shee as the Snow Fairy and Celine Gittens as the Rose Fairy were both superb too.

Last night was a truly special performance.  Laura Day was just sublime as Clara, acting and dancing with clarity and feeling.  Rory Mackay was more sinister than some as Drosselmeyer in this production and was terrific in the role.  Joseph Caley was handsome and romantic as the Nutcracker Prince.  I particularly enjoyed last night's Russian Dance with James Barton, Lewis Turner and Max Maslen.  What can I say about our Sugar Plum - the very, very wonderful Momoko Hirata.  She was sublimely exquisite in the role and brought tears of joy to my eyes.  She and Joseph Caley just look wonderful together.  This is another performance to be stored away in the memory box and cherished forever.

The opulence of this production and the amazing transformation never cease to thrill and alongside the top notch performances yesterday make this the one to see for me!

After last night's performance Robbie Gibbs and Carmen Flores from the orchestra serenaded the departing audience and dancers Jonathan Caguioa, Max Maslen, Ruth Brill, Jade Heusen, Momoko Hirata, William Bracewell and Benji Soerel stayed in costume for a bucket collection in aid of the Philippines Appeal.  I hope they raised a lot of money for this worthwhile cause.

• Like 3

So tonight is the last performance and the Elmhurst upper school are going to watch !

I'm sure the cast will be giving their all and I'm sure my DS will be enjoying this one especially ....wish I was there in body as well a spirit ! Happy Christmas to te BRB and many thanks for giving the children such a lovely experience both dancing and watching ????

• Like 2