Advanced 2 RAD.

debbie

Interesting hearing all your suggestions and completely agree! I used to do dances twice through in class before exams - killed me at the time but our teacher was right, it really helped to be able to do bit once in the exam without dying! AND I started swimming once a week and running with the dogs (and I despise swimming and running!) but it made dog walks quicker and improved my stamina.

Then I took my grade 8 and inter exams and am now back to unfit condition with adv 1 looming next year... Time to dust off those trainers! X

Good for you Sheila. It's great you are enjoying your ballet. Grade 8 is an interesting grade as I think it had much to offer in terms of learning about performance, musicality and developing a fluidity of movement in addition to the typical things in syllabus work. It used to be my favourite grade to teach and each dancer in a way made the solos their own which is lovely to see.

Aerobic interval training is what I used with a ballet company (which has to remain nameless) - easy to do anywhere and fairly fun if you use music. Basically 1 minute of fairly tough aerobic exercise but can be dance specific or not - MIDAS students like to pick the silliest things they can like giant gallopy step-ball changes or bunny hops or flick kicks etc but basically it needs to be fairly low skill but high intensity and about 7/10 exertion level. Follow this with 30 seconds to 1 minute of rest (as it would be in an exam so standing fairly still trying to regulate breathing etc). Repeat the 1 min on, 1 min off cycle for half an hour or so. Starts easy but gets hard quite quickly and is a really good way of boosting the exact recovery systems needed.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I posted up about my worries of doing the Adv 2 RAD exam.

I've only 2 weeks to go now!! Still worried! Now I have developped shin splints :o but feel I cannot stop. 

I would just love to know how intense the barre is? I find getting through it so tough, but can manage when I only do a few of the exercises at the barre!

Anyone out there taken this exam recently? Would love to hear from you.

Thank you

Debbie

Could you get an appt with a dance Physio or a more general Physio to get a professional opinion. You certainly do not want to put yourself in a worse place if this is likely to happen if you work through pain. Certainly do not give up but get advice. Will you dance your best whilst in pain or is it better to delay a term?

• Like 1

What a great website- thank you.

I know it will right itself when I stop - I can get through allegro and pointe which is odd. Adage and barre are painful.

I will try to get to a physio but time is against me and I just want to do the exam and forget about it!

Thank you for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Taking this exam in a couple of weeks. Does anyone know how many of the set exercises are seen in the exam?

How many from the barre?

Also, are the adages seen on both sides?

Are all centre practise exercises seen - same for allegro??

Taking this exam in a couple of weeks. Does anyone know how many of the set exercises are seen in the exam?

How many from the barre?

Also, are the adages seen on both sides?

Are all centre practise exercises seen - same for allegro??

Exam done and survived! However not a good experience. My shins held up and free work was ok. However I found it so hot , as the others in the exam did. I did have a throat infection , so thought it was me! At one point, I thought I was going to be sick and one of the other girls , who never has a problem with stamina, was so hot , she had to swallow hard to stop herself being sick.

We were the last group of the day, was there really a need for 4 heaters with the examiner having her own heater??

Anyone else experience this ? Or was my group unlucky?

Glad it's over but I know I won't have done as well as I could.

• Like 1

Well shins not too bad- probably the heat and pain killers I took!! Will go to physio but I think the rest over Xmas will be good. Plus won't be dancing as much. I love Dance but not as a career. I have now taken my adv 2 istd ballet and modern ( with distinction) so passing my RAD would be great. Fingers crossed.

Well shins not too bad- probably the heat and pain killers I took!! Will go to physio but I think the rest over Xmas will be good. Plus won't be dancing as much. I love Dance but not as a career. I have now taken my adv 2 istd ballet and modern ( with distinction) so passing my RAD would be great. Fingers crossed.

Free work was fine- adage a bit unsteady - pointe work ok.... All pirouettes poor????

Will let you know how I get on - or don't as the case maybe! I completed the exam - not at my best but made it to the end- didn't think I would!