Recommendations for ballet classes over Christmas hols?

Rizzo

Can anyone recommend the equivalent of a summer school but basically for the Christmas holidays? the only one I sort of know about was at Tring Park (DD did it 5 years back now). 

There must be some other options? We are London & Herts area. Thank you for any ideas for keeping the ballet going through the Christmas holidays. DD's dance school shuts for a month and she wants to keep busy.

xx

• Like 1

thank you Tulte - we have actually already applied for that one. They emailed back a few days later saying they had received so many applications that they are going to have to be more selective, but would be in touch soon. I've not heard anything since. I am wondering how they are going to be "more selective" seeing as we were only required to submit name, age, address, dance school on the initial application....??

• Like 2

Taxi4Ballet, thank you we may do that. It just takes a bit more effort to go to a series of individual classes than to sign up for a course, so to speak, where the same people will be there every day. Dd always keen to make the effort when needed, though.

I must say, regarding the Tring Christmas thing, when DD did it, she found it very tiring because they went to a show in London very late and then had class the next day. She was quite a bit younger then of course. I remember watching her at the final "parents watching" session and she was knackered!

Guest Autumn days

can i be cheeky and ask where your dd is going, rizzo?  My dd would love to know of somewhere where they are making early decisions as we may add it to the list!!

my dd likes pineapple as they are more "fun"!!

A lot of recommendations for Danceworks.....

so my next question is which classes at Danceworks for a 15 yr old who is going to vocational school next Sept? just any class is fine do you think? As long as it's ballet?!

Raymond Chai and Anna du Boisson ...?(with apologies for incorrect spelling if wrong!) - my dd has been taught by both and enjoyed their classes.

Danceworks class timetables are online with the teachers biographies too, but they do cover for one another especially during the holidays but if you call them they will check for you who is teaching a particular class.

• Like 1

You could check out the Urdang Academy for holiday classes.....Raymond Chai sometimes teaches there as well and about 10 min walk from the Urdang is Central Ballet School.

Some teachers may be away on certain days etc but just ave to check out who will be around and when.

http://www.centralschoolofballet.co.uk/aectimetable.php

This is centrals programme......Raymond Chai teaches on Wednesdays

Renato Peroni is also popular

However these are not daytime classes.....so Anna du Boisson at Danceworks might be better and her classes are roughly lunchtime....(1pm) I think.

There is also a good Russian Teacher who teaches in the daytime at Danceworks too.

• Like 1

A month seems a long time to be off for - however a rest is always very important, especially in the run up to important events such as auditions and shows. Most athletes will start to 'taper' their training down before a big event so that they are well rested and have taken time for their training to take effect (ie gains in strength, skills etc).

• Like 4

Is Danceworks suitable for a younger child (11?).  If not, is there anything similar that anyone knows of for that age group.  My DS is otherwise off for a month at Christmas which does seem too long, especially with auditions coming up.

Thank you!

thank you Tulte - we have actually already applied for that one. They emailed back a few days later saying they had received so many applications that they are going to have to be more selective, but would be in touch soon. I've not heard anything since. I am wondering how they are going to be "more selective" seeing as we were only required to submit name, age, address, dance school on the initial application....??

Sorry to go off topic but just wanted to say we had our email tonight and DD is in Silver group. Has anyone else had there email yet?

• Like 3

I think a lot can be done with conditioning exercises at home interspersed with social and festive activities. It's important for young people who have so many other pressures on them to unwind and have fun. It also in my opinion develops a more resilient dancer as having meaningful relationships away from ballet is important through the ups and downs of a dance career.

• Like 4

I think a lot can be done with conditioning exercises at home interspersed with social and festive activities. It's important for young people who have so many other pressures on them to unwind and have fun. It also in my opinion develops a more resilient dancer as having meaningful relationships away from ballet is important through the ups and downs of a dance career.

DD not doing auditions so it's more a case of keeping things ticking over til September. More than a month off over Christmas is a long time. She's not currently at vocational school so has a lot of time to be "normal." She also has very good relationships away from ballet. I am happy to say she has also been lucky enough to get a place at the Wells Masterclass next month, Gold group. That's something to look forward to!

• Like 2

Is Danceworks suitable for a younger child (11?).  If not, is there anything similar that anyone knows of for that age group.  My DS is otherwise off for a month at Christmas which does seem too long, especially with auditions coming up.

Thank you!

No SuzysZoo I don't think Danceworks is suitable for children as young as 11 although others may correct me! Sometimes local teachers do things like holiday workshops - can your teacher advise?

You actually don't have to commute as it is set on the grounds of a hotel I think...

What would you like to know?

The planning is not quite ready so I only know the times and the levels...

Edited by afab

Thank you!

No, I wouldn't have thought so Suzysoo. My dd did Anna's class one day last summer with her friend who is at YDA and she said it looked as if most of the younger students were around yrs 9 -11. There were also adults there. It's aimed at Intermediate level if I remember rightly.