English National Ballet: The Nutcracker, Winter 2013/14

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I unfortunately dithered too long, and no RB Nutcracker tickets available any more at my budget :( So, Jewels it is, and I'm looking very much forward.

I would love to see Jewels. I spent all my ticket money on Romeo & Juliet though. :-(

I believe RB are broadcasting Nutcracker live to cinemas on 12th December, could that be an option?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's known as "thread drift" :).  Unfortunately, we no longer have the "branching" message structure which allowed a thread to diverge in several different directions at once while still keeping an "on-track" branch, so to speak. 

• Like 1

Isn’t this topic “English National Ballet - Nutcracker - Winter 2013/14”? Unbelievable how RB fans manage to divert almost everything to their performances!

We have gone off on a tangent - not unheard of.

Plus some of us are fans of both ENB *and* RB...

• Like 4

The ENB website now shows a returning Begona Cao as dancing Clara at the matinees on 28th and 31st December. Previously, the casting had only given the Prince (James Forbat) and the Nutcracker (Max Westwell).

Amazingly, Friends booking is already open for the 2014/15 run of this production at the Coli.

• Like 1

It looks as though public booking is, too, and for Swan Lake in January 2015, if the ENO website is anything to go by.

Glad to hear that Begoña is back.  Did she have a boy or a girl?  I don't think I ever found out.

Apologies for going off-topic and I promise to write a mini-review to make up for it! Inspired by this thread I’m about to make my first visit to the Coliseum (Friday 13th:( , Tamara Rojo :D) and I’d like to know how efficient the cloakroom departure rate is (always marginal as to whether I’ll get the last fast train home), as a point of reference I consider the ROH to be really fast!

I've never used the cloakroom there, but isn't it downstairs? If so, you may have to contend with people still coming down while you're trying to get back upstairs again. I can't imagine it would be anything like as fast as the ROH.

• Like 1

It's not as efficient I'm afraid having used both......also at the ENB I think you have to sort your own stuff out whereas at the ROH it's all taken off you. The area is also much smaller so although I don't remember being held up enormously I think I was one of the last to collect things.....perhaps if in a hurry and nearer end of performance might experience difficulties.

It is definitely faster at the ROH though.

Better get out quick at the end if wanting to get a particular train etc.

• Like 1

The London Coliseum cloakroom has racks of coathangers with those coin-in-the-slot-then-wire-through-your-coat-sleeve devices, you need a (refundable) £1 coin and you retain the key. It also has the usual West End small attended cloakroom for bags but I don't know the cost.

As noted above, it's downstairs with access via the main staircase unless you're coming out from the Stalls at the lower level. All in all, not the most helpful arrangement for a quick exit, but at least it's never been full in my experience.

• Like 1

I don't think that it can have sold that well as there was a 2 for 1 offer somewhere (for certain dates) and there seemed to be plenty of availability when I booked some tickets yesterday. I feel that there are too many performances of The Nutcracker in London and, unfortunately for ENB, the dates very much overlap with the RB's. ENB's production has it's flaws but, for me, the casts are much more appealing.

Edited by aileen

There were tickets available through the TKTS booth today, it is however selling very well, so not sure if it will be repeated (they currently have Friday as tbc but nothing for tomorrow).

In what price range are these available for, please? Not surprised that nothing is available for tomorrow: after all, it is Alina's London debut in this production

There was a rehearsal last night at the Coliseum but sadly only the Principals were in costume. The dancing was very good. 

For those going to the matinees on the 17th and 21st December, also the evening of the 28th December, this should be your cast. 

ENB%2B-%2BNutcracker%2B-%2BColiseum%2B-%

Nathan Young - Nutcracker and Shiori Kase - Clara 

ENB+-+Nutcracker+-+Coliseum+-+December+2

Shiori Kase and Yonah Acosta 

More pictures on www.johnrossballetgallery.co.uk  For full production see ENB at Liverpool Empire Album
  • Like 2

A sparkling opening night at the Coli from Daria Klimentova (Clara), Vadim Muntagirov (Nephew/Prince) and Junor Souza (Nutcracker) with delightful support in particular from Zsenia Ovsyanick (Louise and Lead Snowflake), Laurretta Summerscales (Lead Snowflake and Lead Flower), Alison McWhinney (Lead Flower), Shiori Kase (Chinese), and Ken Saruhashi (Russian). This Company (which always seems to give its all on stage) now has a further 38 Nutcracker shows over the next 3 and a half weeks and some leading dancers (such as Vadim and Junor) have a number of consecutive performances with different partners. Perhaps Carlos (ref. other thread) would care to reflect on that?

• Like 1

Foteini was also at the ENB Nutcracker rehearsal, and here are a couple of example photos:

11327159324_3a9b79a999_z.jpg
Shiori Kase - Clara, Yonah Acosta - Nephew
© Foteini Christofilopoulou. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

11327213863_6f26efe3c5_z.jpg
Shiori Kase - Clara, Nathan Young - Nutcracker
© Foteini Christofilopoulou. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr
See more...
Set from DanceTabs: English National Ballet - Nutcracker
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

• Like 2

I saw the opening night of the ENB's Nutcracker at the Coliseum.  The two principals - Daria and Vadim danced so beautifully it moved me to tears (a rare occurrence).  Everybody was in sparkling form, particularly Zsenia Ovsyanick and Ken Saruhiashi.  A super evening.  I endorse Capybara's comments above.

• Like 2

Hmm, in Graham Watts' review of last night's performance (in LondonDance) he strongly hinted that Daria would not be dancing very much longer. I'm glad that I've got tickets to see her next week (although I was torn between several other casts).

Just to record that Alina Cojocaru made a lovely return to the London stage last night partnered by the fabulous Vadim Muntagirov with Junor Souza as the Nutcracker. A far from full house, alas, but, by the end, a wonderfully enthusiastic audience and a standing ovation.

• Like 2

It was very remiss of me not to mention also the beautiful dancing of Elena Glurdjidze at yesterday's matinee - (oh, those bourrees; those soft arms!). She, and many of the supporting cast, also had an excellent reception with the multitude of children in the audience (who had been quiet throughout) rising to the occasion with screams and whistles for the curtain calls. It felt very Christmassy in consequence.

• Like 2

Clement Crisp's eloquence is very much on display in today's FT 4* review of both RB and ENB Nuts.  Whilst admiring young Mr Muntagirov's "beautiful classic dance," he dismisses his "quaint jerkin, a confection of nasty brocade suitable for Quasimodo's appearance in a TV Dance show."  When on form, there's nobody to beat him ...... and can we take that as confirmation that he might just have the odd glance at Strictly?

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/6b70816c-6316-11e3-886f-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2nLr8SWWC

• Like 1

Clement Crisp's eloquence is very much on display in today's FT 4* review of both RB and ENB Nuts.  Whilst admiring young Mr Muntagirov's "beautiful classic dance," he dismisses his "quaint jerkin, a confection of nasty brocade suitable for Quasimodo's appearance in a TV Dance show."  When on form, there's nobody to beat him ...... and can we take that as confirmation that he might just have the odd glance at Strictly?

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/6b70816c-6316-11e3-886f-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2nLr8SWWC

Ah, Clement - another masterpiece. Where would we be without you?

ENB have got themselves to blame for empty seats, on Tuesday nearly the whole back central row of the dress circle was empty, I used to be able to sit in these for £40 but this season they are £55, hence the cut-price offers, I got a side seat for £40, seems like others did too.

Although this production looks less impressive each time, the dancers are fantastic, especially as I had the chance again to see the flawless partnership of Daria Klimentova and Vadim Muntagirov, am really keen to see him dance with Alina Cojocaru next week.