Women dancers ‘spatchcocked and inverted, genitals to the fore’ by some male choreographers

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From dancers' tweets, it seems that they are desperate to perform McGregor. Perhaps it's a generation thing; perhaps it's a 'cool' thing; perhaps it's a total unselfconsciousness about their own and other people's bodies thing. One thing's certain though: if one has a daughter who wishes to become a ballet dancer she really needs to see this kind of work before she gets too far down the line.

I agree that knowing what she might be letting herself in for would be a good thing. However, (judging by what I have read on here) some of it might not be suitable viewing for under 16's...?

Well, I don't know at what age vocational students would be expected to dance work by choreographers such as Forsythe, McGregor, Galili etc. Perhaps they are over 16. They do need to know, though, that ballet isn't just tutus and fairy tales. It's not (no longer?) a decorous art form.

Well I liked the Judas Tree......even though was uncomfortable and shocking! The tension had me on edge of seat. A very dark ballet. It may be down to your overall life experiences as to whether you are wanting to see such ballets I suppose.

No Aileen I didn't see that ballet. I would go if it was not to be missed for choreography or music or wonderful theatre I suppose but I would have not really been happy with the nudity.....women's or men's!!!! I wouldn't want it banned or anything but just puts me off unless absolutely necessary as part of some plot. Brings to mind a certain production called "the Romans" !!!

Somebody mentioned Anastasia. They were repulsed by some part of it. It's now so long since Ive seen this ballet that was trying to remember. Must have been in he second Act when she goes mad. I saw Lyn Seymour in this and thought she was wonderful. What I'm trying to remember is being repulsed......does something happen here Ive forgotten perhaps?

• Like 1

Lin, did you see Bella Figural performed by Boston Ballet this summer? Both men and women were topless.

I would not want to see a ballet performed topless. I've never seen Bella Figura - is the topless aspect integral to the story?

• Like 1

No it isn't.  In fact there is a film of it with NDT (possibly on Youtube) where from a long shot the dancers look splendid with their red bottom halves, but as the camera comes in closer you realise that even the slimmest dancers can't get rid of the jiggle factor and to my mind it looks silly.  In the 1960/70s NDT produced a nude ballet and John Percival a major critic at the time damned it by saying men shouldn't dance nude unless they had control of every part of their anatomy.

• Like 3

Ugh. I honestly can see NO need for toplessness or nudity in ballet. Even when there is a top yanked down in Mayerling, it's cleverly done so that it's left to the imagination. I don't have a problem with that, but I cannot see the appeal of nudity for the sake of it when a cleverly designed costume would do the trick.

• Like 4

Europeans seem to be much more more comfortable with nudity than the British and the Americans. Having said that, as PdQ said, there is the issue of the 'jiggle factor' in a ballet performance. Moving this thread on, I'm surprised that none of these hipster choreographers has created a ballet based around a relationship other than a heterosexual love affair eg a gay relationship or a relationship between friends or a parent and child. Even in Raven Girl the eponymous heroine met/married a Raven Prince.

Edward II had a number of close relationships with men (Gaveston to name but one) that are depicted in the Marlowe play and in Bintley's ballet.  Apart from scenes between the 2 men there is also a pdt with Isabella where she is treated almost like a rag doll (but is entirely appropriate to the plot) and I know a number of people who have not watched Edward's execution in the ballet.

David Nixon's Swan Lake depicts a relationship between two good friends - Anthony and Simon and how Anthony's subsequent marriage to Odilia causes him to fall apart at the seams (I think I got the names the right way round).

Then, of course, there is also the interaction between Dracula and Harker (in both the versions shown by NB).  And an interesting take on brides of Dracula taking advantage of Harker.

Slightly o/t but one of Alan Bleasdale's plays, Having a Ball, is set in a vasectomy clinic.  The leading man is having second thoughts and does a long soliloquy as he is getting undressed ending up standing at the front of the stage stark naked for some time.  It was a bit disconcerting sitting on the front row of the Liverpool Playhouse during this section of the play!

• Like 2

I would definitely be too embarrassed to go if they start dancing regularly in the nude though! However am of the older generation so perhaps younger people take such things in their stride!

Lin, and Spanner, you must be mighty relieved that Tamara Rojo never (or hasn't so far, at any rate - who knows what may happen in the future?) got her wish to have the RB dance Mats Ek's "Giselle".  I certainly was :).  It might be all right to have some unknown Albrecht dancing naked, but when it's the "home team" who you're going to have to watch for years afterwards, and might even bump into in the street, it would be weird, and distinctly embarrassing, I think.  I'm hoping she doesn't bring it in for ENB, either, but think the type of audience they get would probably make that impossible anyway.

• Like 2

I believe that Tamara is a big fan of Mats Ek's work (I think that I read somewhere that his Carmen is one of her favourite ballets) and so there must be a risk........!!! Why is Albrecht naked though? I agree that it would be more embarrassing if it were someone who we were likely to see for years afterwards. It doesn't bear (bare!) thinking about. But perhaps we're all too prudish.

Going back to topless women, I don't think that there was too much of a problem in the jiggling department in Bella Figural because it was quite a lyrical piece (not that I used my binoculars much because I didn't want to come across as a perv). I think that toplessness in a more vigorous piece would descend into 'Carry on Camping' style bawdiness.

Meunier I HAVE seen The Judas Tree-twice! and I was sneakily not mentioning it.

I didn't like it overmuch...

But- that is one work among so many by Macmillan I have found endlessly enjoyable .

Whereas McGregor hasn't done even one work I want to see again.

I don't object to nudity or "rudeness"_I think we are all objecting to a kind of dehumanising/objectification/lack of depth, superficial sensationalism.....that lacks the human angle.

It's not that there is anything wrong with nudity but it is usually gratuitous, doesn't add anything to the dancing and can be a distraction or even add unintentional comedy value.

Sadly I think we will be seeing more nudity and more spatchcocking in the future to try to capture audiences through shock value.

Some of the Facebook comments I have read today were in praise of Stuttgart Ballet's 'tricks' with splits etc at Sadlers Wells last night.

• Like 1

I have no problem with nudity if it is entirely voluntary.  The audience can then decide whether or not they wish to buy a ticket.  However, can you picture the pressure on young dancers if they are uneasy about stripping off?  I can imagine they would be anxious about future casting or career prospects if they refused.

• Like 1

Well there are obviously lots of issues surrounding nudity in the entertainment industry, but I think generally British people, and perhaps older British people (though that is a huge generalisation) have a funny attitude to it. When I was at school doing my art GCSE (so around 15/16) we had the option of going to a life drawing class. We had to get parental approval and I was surprised that many parents refused to let their teenage children go, and even complained to the school about it, as I cant think of anything more natural and less threatening than a nude model in a drawing class.

I think there is a difference between a nude model in an art class who is fairly static and nude people dancing around a stage!! Especially if the female is then placed in certain positions that have been talked about on this thread!!

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with being nude of course but some people naturally prefer some degree of privacy. its actually quite interesting as I think one is possibly born more shy in this way........my mother had no qualms about her body but right from a child......so certainly didnt learn it from my mother.......I have been more fussy about being nude in public whereas she had no such worries!! There are probably quite a few on here who have sunbathed nude given the chance. I have myself if we can find a wild enough beach...... the costa del Luz in southern Spain used to be a great place as miles of beach and not many people!!

But I wouldn't on a crowded beach or swimming pool not even topless!!

I don't mind at all when having a massage as its a requirement of the purpose and again private.

It is partly cultural as unless you are a naturalist we don't usually in everyday life wander the streets in the nude so why would this suddenly be or normal in a theatre unless there is a specific purpose for it.......as there is in an Art class......with students studying the human form.

• Like 1

I know there's a big difference but the point I was trying to make was that some people find something as innocuous as a life drawing class embarrassing/ offensive/ inapproporate/ whatever, which to me is a bit weird.

I think the issue of nudity and the issue of modern choreography are for the most part separate