Dance direct - caution

drdance

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used Dance Direct for years and never had problems, REALLY fast delivery, etc. Unfortunately I returned something two months ago and haven't had the refund yet and only one automatic response email saying they were having issues and would get back to me but no response to my other emails. It is a shame as it genuinely SEEMS to be a authentic problem with the system.

I ordered two little skirted leotards from Dance Direct a couple of weeks ago that I needed for a festival the next week (I know, very last minute!!) and I paid for next day delivery. Three days later I started to panic and rung them, they did indeed have a problem with their computer system as it showed they had dispatched said dresses 3 times!

However they were extremely apologetic, sent them out imediately and refunded my postage costs as a goodwill gesture.

Very good service I thought and my DD and her duet partner went out and won their class in the dresses????

I do use Porselli quite regularly and find their service very good. Planet Dance I find a bit slow, most things tend to take two weeks to arrive. I have only ordered from our lovely Just Ballet once so far and received very quick service. Bloch are really quick too.

The Tring CBA leotard is expensive but it's by Wear Moi and their leotards are all around the same price and more.

• Like 2

I ordered some bits for DS from Planet Dance recently and I had to chase to find they weren't in stock and would be another week which was far to late for us.  Cancelled order from them rung Dance Direct and paid for next day delivery and the items promptly appeared the next day.  

I do feel for them if it is a new computer system when ours at work was just upgraded we had terrible problems and just the last week changes were made which have caused real issues as well.  We never expect these things to go smoothly anymore.  

• Like 2

I have used Bodies-in-Motion, their website address is www.bodies-in-motion.co.uk and the telephone number is 01159835934.

They don't have all the products on the website but if you phone them they are very helpful and I am sure will be willing to help with prices.

They supply Bloch, Capezio, Katz, Roch Valley, Grishko, Tappers&Pointers, Arabesque, Freeds of London, Danskin, SoDanca, some Mondor items and their own in house brand.

I have taken my daughter to them to have her pointe shoes fitted and the service was fantastic.

• Like 1

I ordered some dancewear from dancedirect a couple of weeks ago, and, apart from one leotard that was listed as out of stock when I ordered, it all arrived within a few days.

HOWEVER... 

They overcharged me 2p! I know it's not a lot but I'm annoyed and slightly confused because we were charged £16.96 for a leotard listed as £16.95, and more oddly, I bought two pairs of tights priced at £6.50 each but on the invoice that arrived with the items it was listed as 2 pairs of tights £13.01, so it was 1p extra across 2 pairs! If I'd have just bought one would they have charged me £6.50 and a half I wonder?!  :wacko:

I haven't complained because I feel like I can't really complain about 2p but if they are doing this on every order it would add up to a lot of extra money for them, which I feel is wrong. 

It says on the website that the prices are inclusive of VAT, so surely the correctly rounded price should be listed on the website? And the two pairs of tights, I just don't understand how it can come to an amount not divisible by two. What would they have charged me if I'd only bought one pair  :wacko:

I've never had any issues with dancedirect before, it's all a bit strange.

It says on the website that the prices are inclusive of VAT, so surely the correctly rounded price should be listed on the website? And the two pairs of tights, I just don't understand how it can come to an amount not divisible by two. What would they have charged me if I'd only bought one pair  :wacko:

I've never had any issues with dancedirect before, it's all a bit strange.

But it depends on how their computer system is configured.  VAT is usually held as a separate amount even if the price shown is the overall one.  Some systems have "automatic tax calculation" switched on so when the invoice is generated the exc-VAT price has the VAT calculated and added on.  This would be invisible to you, the customer.  If the company's issues are due to a new/upgraded computer system then this may be one of the side effects.

• Like 2

But it depends on how their computer system is configured.  VAT is usually held as a separate amount even if the price shown is the overall one.  Some systems have "automatic tax calculation" switched on so when the invoice is generated the exc-VAT price has the VAT calculated and added on.  This would be invisible to you, the customer.  If the company's issues are due to a new/upgraded computer system then this may be one of the side effects.

Normally for a business which quotes prices net and then adds VAT on afterwards, they will adopt either one or the other system, and either charge VAT line-by-line on the invoice, or add it to the net total at the end.

When a business is selling direct to the public and quoting prices including VAT they should charge it line-by-line. I agree, their new system could be incorrectly set up and this is why the odd pence discrepancy has happened.

However - if the items bought are child size clothing and shoes there should be no VAT charged anyway!

(Sorry - don't know what came over me - day job taking over!!)

• Like 3

We had dreadful rounding problems with a system that was configured with automatic tax calculation switched on and ended up having to use bespoke APIs to correct the problem and achieve a match between the purchase order and the incoming invoice.

I was under the impression that a VAT invoice required the VAT to be shown only as one amount for the whole invoice, although I am aware that many companies show it line by line.

I'm afraid that I would expect to be paying the amount quoted and not have extra pence added to my final invoice, even if it is down to the computer system.  I would not go into a shop and pick an item priced at 99p and expect to be charged £1 at the till.  It sounds to me like their computer issues are not yet resolved.

I'm afraid that I would expect to be paying the amount quoted and not have extra pence added to my final invoice, even if it is down to the computer system.  I would not go into a shop and pick an item priced at 99p and expect to be charged £1 at the till.  It sounds to me like their computer issues are not yet resolved.

You are quite right, if the 99p quoted includes VAT then that is what you should pay. The only time there could be a difference is when the price quoted is before VAT has been added.

When you are installing accounts software there are many different ways the system can be configured, and the VAT calculation method is just one of hundreds of tick boxes - it can be easily missed! :o

Reminds me of a quotation:

"To err is human; to really foul things up you need a computer"

I have a plaque with that on my desk. And after however many weeks it is trying to deal with the aftereffects of an absolutely horrible virus, I can confirm it!

• Like 1

Hi - I just saw this message on Facebook from Dance Direct and thought you'd all be pleased to see it too :

Whether you have just recently purchased from us for the first time or you are a long-standing Dance Direct customer – we want you to know that giving you the best dancewear shopping destination, quality products and customer experience is our top priority. That is why our recent issues with a technology upgrade have been so difficult for us – and even more so for you. We sincerely apologise to you for any experience that has not met your expectations and for the difficulty you have had trying to contact us.

In September, we set out to improve our entire internal ordering, transaction, payment and tracking system to prepare for the launch of a new Dance Direct website in 2014. As you may have heard or experienced, we encountered issues during the changeover that caused orders to backup, slow package processing times and delays in refunds.

Our operations are now nearly back to normal and we are focused on addressing all customers who had a less than satisfactory experience due to the changeover. If you are one of the customers waiting on resolution, please be assured that we are working around the clock to resolve it.

This was the message on facebook from Dance Direct this morning - hope this information helps those still waiting for refunds

"Whether you have just recently purchased from us for the first time or you are a long-standing Dance Direct customer – we want you to know that giving you the best dancewear shopping destination, quality products and customer experience is our top priority. That is why our recent issues with a technology upgrade have been so difficult for us – and even more so for you. We sincerely apologise to you for any experience that has not met your expectations and for the difficulty you have had trying to contact us.

In September, we set out to improve our entire internal ordering, transaction, payment and tracking system to prepare for the launch of a new Dance Direct website in 2014. As you may have heard or experienced, we encountered issues during the changeover that caused orders to backup, slow package processing times and delays in refunds.

Our operations are now nearly back to normal and we are focused on addressing all customers who had a less than satisfactory experience due to the changeover. If you are one of the customers waiting on resolution, please be assured that we are working around the clock to resolve it."

Huddsballetmum and dtadmin, I got the same message earlier. I also noticed that I've now had a refund into my account too. I had asked for an exchange, but it wasn't an essential item, so I'm just happy not be be out of pocket.

• Like 2