English Youth Ballet (EYB) - Frequently asked questions

Anna C

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi meggy, not a ballet mum but hope I can help;)!

the big pointe group in coppélia is the morning hours, who are also in the czardas.

some of the more experienced dancers en pointe are swanildas friends. there's usually around 6 girls for this role.

then there's also the coppélia doll.

however EYB doesn't really consider age with people en pointe if your able and strong enough and what they're looking for you'll get that pointe whether you're 11 or 18 :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi does anyone have any experience of which parts my daughter may get in EYB sleeping beauty? She's just been 13 and had a pointe part in the last production they did in our area. She Is keen to find out what the different parts are.

Thanks in advance ????

When I was around that age I was a guest in their sleeping beauty and there was a range of ages for this- it was on point and we had quite a few scenes, there were also some more featured roles for people but they were mostly a little older - hope that helped :)

• 3 weeks later...

At the casting, you all have a ballet class and are then divided up into groups and are taught short bits from various dances. They then shuffle the groups around a bit and do the same again, matching people up by height, age, experience etc until they have things the way they want.

Quite often, everyone is told what dances they are going to be in by the end of the casting, although a few won't hear until the first day of rehearsals.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi all

This is quite an old thread but I thought I'd try posting.  DD would like to audition for the EYB and I wondered if the children were usually at a certain grade?   Given that the bottom age is 8 upwards could the children who apply be anything from Grade 1 up.  DD is tall and aged 9 and about to take Grade 2, wondering if she knows enough ballet at Grade 2 for her to get through the audition?

Maybe I am worrying for nothing and should just see it as an experience but just want to set her expectations.

Thank you 

Miss Lewis expects children auditioning to be the standard they have put on the form. You will get all levels in both juniors and seniors, and usually around 100 juniors auditioning for 50 places and the same for seniors. My advice would be to let her audition and enjoy herself. DD has auditioned 5 times, the first two occasions she didn't get in but that didn't put her off. She learnt a lot after each audition and become more determined to succeed. She is currently rehearsing for her third production with them and has been given her dream part, she is one of the soloist.

So my advice with EYB is to go to the audition and enjoy it.

• Like 1

Miss Lewis expects children auditioning to be the standard they have put on the form. You will get all levels in both juniors and seniors, and usually around 100 juniors auditioning for 50 places and the same for seniors. My advice would be to let her audition and enjoy herself. DD has auditioned 5 times, the first two occasions she didn't get in but that didn't put her off. She learnt a lot after each audition and become more determined to succeed. She is currently rehearsing for her third production with them and has been given her dream part, she is one of the soloist.

So my advice with EYB is to go to the audition and enjoy it.

That's reassuring to hear your daughter will be a soloist after not getting through previously. Well done to your daughter!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, it's good to know all levels are considered.  I've picked up from the threads they want dancers that look like they enjoy to dance.

She is happy enough to go with the flow, I just feel nervous for her but am hiding that well.

How lovely about your daughter Pointetoes and her dream part :-)