English Youth Ballet (EYB) - Frequently asked questions

Anna C

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for your nice comments and well done to your DD's , I am very proud of her ! Twiglet I bet they might meet up lol!!

JLAEI yes I too could see the ones which would be in for scholarships , think my dd might have been one of those doing full plies in the centre Lol . Arabesques she's ok with but plies she gave her best shot and I don't think did too badly certainly not perfect though she is very bendy and she never stopped smiling and doing the steps she has never done before .

• Like 1

My DD was one of the ones called out for the scholarship - she didn't get one but she was soooo close - I was bursting!!  She did Swan Lake 2 years ago in Nottingham and is thrilled to be doing The Nutcracker this year....it'll be odd doing a Christmas ballet in July though ;)

For those who are doing it for the first time, your children will love it and all of them are sad when it's over (and so are the parents too!)

Edited by dtadmin
  • Like 4

My DD was one of the ones called out for the scholarship - she didn't get one but she was soooo close - I was bursting!!  She did Swan Lake 2 years ago in Nottingham and is thrilled to be doing The Nutcracker this year....it'll be odd doing a Christmas ballet in July though ;)

For those who are doing it for the first time, your children will love it and all of them are sad when it's over (and so are the parents too!)

I know what you mean....this reminded me when my DD did The Nutcracker with EYB several years ago on one of the hottest weekends West Yorkshire had ever known!! I was chaperoning all the snowflakes and the irony was not lost on me as I dripped in sweat getting them up and down the stairs from our dressing room to stage!!! :-D.  Hope you all enjoy yourselves.

• Like 4

Sorry lovetodance2003 didn't mean to quote you, I meant to reply! Congratulations to your DD. My daughter also had a letter offering her a place at stockport today, I didn't know she was on a reserve list so it came as a nice surprise! How did you find out about the reserve list? All very new to this so glad I found this forum when 'googling' EYB :)

hi, my daughter also auditioned for the nutcracker at Nottingham a couple of weeks ago, I have to agree I think the standard was exceptionally high and a lot of children there too! I'm not sure how they managed to select those children at the end for scholarship places, could anyone else tell? well done to all those with places, we can't wait! 

:)

• Like 1

balletqueen, I would have picked pretty much the same girls out for the scholarship (junior section) but then I've always done ballet and am thinking about going into teaching it myself (bit old really but you only live once and all that!). The girl who won it was extremely talented and I would have picked her too.  I dance with one of the girls who was picked out for the senior scholarship and know that she is fabulous! See you in Nottingham!

• Like 1

Hi Twiglet, my daughter auditioned for Stockport 11th March and was told along with any others that she was on a reserve list. There was a deadline in the letter of 25th March for those who were successful to respond by (2 weeks) and accept their place. My daughter then got her conformation on a Friday as some had dropped out by the deadline! If you can find out when the deadline is for Nottingham which will probably again be 2-3 weeks after audition (I assume it's Nottingham you are talking about), that should give you some indication. Hope this helps.

hi, my daughter also auditioned for the nutcracker at Nottingham a couple of weeks ago, I have to agree I think the standard was exceptionally high and a lot of children there too! I'm not sure how they managed to select those children at the end for scholarship places, could anyone else tell? well done to all those with places, we can't wait! 

:)

thanks twiglet, yes see you there!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Balletqueen.

All the rehearsals, except the technical and dress at the theatre, were held at the same school as the auditions last time that EYB came to Nottingham, so I would imagine it would be the same this time round. 

Yes, just checked our Acceptance Pack and although it says "venue to be confirmed" last time we did it at Nottingham all the rehearsals were at the school the auditions were held at which was lovely for parking, etc.  We literally only moved into Theatre the day before the shows.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyones dancing daughter appeared in an English Youth Ballet Coppelia?

My DD was in Coppelia in Newcastle a few years ago. She was a little friend/prayer. She thoroughly enjoyed it. Its a lovely production with nice parts for everyone.

Anyone who has done EYB in Wolverhampton, where are the rehearsals held? Im thinking of auditioning in June, but need to make sure getting to rehearsals by train (preferably with not too far to walk from the station to the rehearsal venue as I may be travelling alone) is feasible incase I get in!

It depends on what school they use. When my DD did that one, her first of 4, 11 years ago the school was a couple of miles from J2 and a long way out of Wolverhampton. It might be worth asking Miss Lewis.

Could anyone please tell me what parts a 10 year old may get for the nutcracker at nottingham? thanks

Hello newdancer and welcome to the forum. :-)

When my dd did her first EYB she was 10; her parts in Nutcracker were a Mouse and a Mirliton. :-)

• Like 1

My 11 year old daughter was in Swan Lake last year and as mentioned before everyone seemed to have an equal time on stage irrespective of their part. She absolutely loved the whole experience and is desperate to do it again. I just need time to save some more pennies though!

• Like 2

thank you spannerandpony, I will pass that on to my daughter, she is excited to start, not long really. rainbowmagic, my daughter loved the experience too last year and was desperate to do again this year along with my other daughter. it is expensive but well worth it, fortunately my younger daughter was awarded the scholarship this time  so that has helped a great deal!

• Like 2

SIze and height is always important when existing costumes will be used ;-) - as with children who appear as mice and party children in adult productions of The Nutcracker. I'm sure your DD will love the whole experience whatever part or parts she has.

• Like 1