English youth ballet - the nutcracker

threeleftfeet

My daughter was this age when she did EYB. In the second half the younger ones were all sweets. In the first half the smallest 6/8 were chosen to be the dolls in the workshop and the others were snowflakes. The way it is organised all children, younger or older get equal time on stage. My daughter was one of the youngest but ended up having a 30 second solo and starting off the whole performance before being the last doll to be carried off stage at the end of the scene (upside down!) It is a great experience and definitely worth doing. Good luck at the audition.

• Like 4

With regards to the audition, my personal view is that EYB are more interested in performance quality than the very best technique. The steps they do on stage are often quite simple but they need to be performed well to make a good show. So smiling and performing is crucial in the audition. Enjoy it and don't worry if a few steps don't go perfectly. If you look as if you are enjoying it, then other people will probably enjoy watching you. At the end of the audition they pick several children who have danced well to come to the front and remember and dance again one of the exercises. This is to see who will be awarded the scholarship! My daughter was not the best but is confident and smiley as well as being tiny so I'm sure this is why she got the solo. She loves being carried off by Drosselmeir!

I think there are about 10 rehearsal days and they use a local school.  Each day is 6 hours long, usually 12-6pm or 1-7pm.

Then on Thursday evening preceding the performances, they have a rehearsal at the theatre, this is normally around 6-10pm.  Friday they are needed pretty much all day, dress rehearsal in the afternoon and first performance that evening.  Then 2 performances on Saturday.

• Like 2