Preparing for College/Upper School Auditions

Katymac

Good old Rescue Remedy!!

The cream is very good too for bites and wounds or itchiness.

I like the Bach Flower Remedies(some of which Rescue Remedy is made up from) and used to take them regularly a few years back.

Very good if going through any big changes in life.

My cat went to a Homeopathic vet as the normal one had sort of given up on him and he lived a further 18 months after having been given three! So whether the "placebo" effect came through us and got passed on to the cat I don't know!!!! But I think there must be something in it......perhaps clinical medicine will get to the point in the future of being able to measure what goes on but because they can't at present they tend to dismiss it.

Frankincense and lavender are very good aromatherapy oils for general calmness and grounded ness. There's another oil Ive combined with Frankincense which has a very earthy smell but will,have to look up the name. It's another one good for grounding.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vetiver is the other oil.....a very earthy one. Petitgrain also blends well with Frankincense and/or lavender or neroli(very expensive one)

Very good for keeping calm and relaxed and more centred so don't get pulled out by others panicking etc

I love Lavender Essential Oil.A few drops in an oil burner diluted with water makes the room smell lovely .I also used to put a few drops of Lavender oil on my son`s pillow when he was younger if he was a bit restless. It always worked in helping him get off to sleep.

• Like 1

I thought a post about managing worry in run up to auditions might be timely. Firstly, it is totally normal to worry. The more you try and tell yourself not to worry, the more you think of it. It's like telling yourself not to think about a 'pink elephant' what happens? You keep thinking about it. A well researched strategy for managing worry is to set a timer for 20 minutes each day and spend the time writing down every worry that comes to mind. After 20 minutes, ask yourself if any of these worries can be solved in the day and if so then act on it. All the others are then parked on your worry list for the rest of the day. Every time these worries come to mind at other points in the day, or new ones emerge, you just tell yourself "I have had my worry time for the day and can come back to it in my 20 mins tomorrow" then move on with your day. It can take a bit of practice and working out when is the best time in the day to have the worry time but it is a highly useful strategy which enhances focus. Some prefer to do at the beginning of the day whilst others prefer to do at end of day.

If you are starting to deal with worry in the days approaching the audition, it is then useful to confront some of the thoughts which will emerge on the day of the audition. The audition setting can bring up a whole 'cocktail' of anxieties and the tendency to compare self to others. Again the challenge is not to avoid these thoughts but to see them coming, notice them and then draw upon more helpful thoughts, images and beliefs. TBC...

• Like 5

When my DD was younger she used to worry a lot, about everything.  She really had no confidence for years after being bullied at school aged only 6.  We found her some 'worry dolls'.  Its from Mongolian folklore I think - though I may have the country wrong.  There were 5 tiny dolls in a bag and the idea was that you told each doll one worry before you went to sleep and that put it under your pillow so the dolls could help you find a solution while you slept.  Although aimed at children, I guess the principle is the same - take 5 worries at a time and manage them.  It certainly helped my DD develop ways to cope with stress and worry and she certainly was able to view her auditions positively.  Regardless of their outcomes she was determined to enjoy each one as a learning opportunity and a chance to visit and dance in new studios that she would not ordinarily have access to.

• Like 9

I am icing my injury so another strategy..

So you are prepared with all your shoes, tights, leotards but how can you prepare for the audition to give yourself the best opportunity to manage nerves along the way.

The whole set up of auditions, the changing rooms, dancers watching other dancers etc provide the potential for your mind to wander in directions which will not help you to do what you are really there to do; JUST FOCUS UPON YOU.

The great thing is that no matter what environment we find ourselves in it is possible to train the mind not to engage with distractions which interrupt our focus and impact our mindset.

The first thing to try is a mental rehearsal of the audition. Take yourself in your mind to the setting-the journey, being in the dressing room, warming up, doing the audition and even leaving at the end. As you visualise all these stages make a list of all the thoughts and issues which you anticipate might crop up on the day. You will be the expert in noticing the things which are likely to come up. Are you someone who tends to compare yourself to others? What thoughts/beliefs might come up as a result of this? When you have thought through all the potential sneaky thoughts that you predict might come up it is useful to write them down. See what you come up with. It is highly likely that these thoughts will come up but it's all about whether you engage with them.

The thinking behind cognitive behavioural therapy is that what we think about a situation determines how we feel. The goal is not to eradicate the thoughts you might have identified but to think about how helpful these will be to you if you choose to engage with them on the day. Start to make a list of some of the things it might be more helpful to focus your mind upon. With enough practice when you turn up on the day you will be able to thank the 'less helpful' thoughts for their contribution but then introduce the thoughts which you have come up with as more conducive to a good performance. This can be paired with imagery in advance of the audition so it can be called upon to reduce anxiety at any point in the day. Be interested to hear if there are common thoughts which come up in dancers prior to auditions. The very act of sharing some of these might help reduce anxiety in itself as it helps to realise you are not the only one who has these thoughts.

• Like 4

All sorted. She thought we wanted to delay it & I said I was happy for it to be earlier - so we decided on 2 days later.

Mind you - it's a hard one! 2 solos, 2 monologues & 2 songs!!

I have worked out I think we can manage with 2 leotards, one one audition want pointe (so I'll replace the ribbons & elastic and give them a bit of a clean) but do you think 1 pair of satin shoes will be enough for 8 auditions & her Grade 6 or shall I get a second pair & alternate them?

Just thought of something else to take along,just in case. For those of you whose daughters are at a certain age,remember to take along sanitary items. I came on my period on the day of an exam,while i was in the changing room getting ready. Luckily my mother,knowing i was "due" in a few days packed sanitary towels to be on the safe side. Thank goodness she did.!

• Like 1

I would echo the need for spare shoes and tights in case of mishap. At one of DDs auditions there was a lot of snow and ice and just about everyone had to change tights when they got there. The poor girl who slipped right over was typically the one who brought no spares and no-one had anything dry for her to borrow.

• Like 1

My DD always went with ballet clothes underneath but that was for 6th form. Most places did not have anywhere for them to change, except the meeting/waiting area or the toilets, which as you can imagine, were always quite busy. It could well be different with a younger child, especially if you arrive in plenty of time.

I would have one pair of shoes for the auditions and keep another "immaculate" pair as spares and for the exam!! MT colleges won't mind if the shoes are a little bit worn...they're only interested in the dancing!!

DD didn't wear her dance things underneath....but all the colleges she auditioned at did have changing rooms, and she didn't always know which group she was in before the audition, so she didn't know which leotard to wear (classical or jazz) before she got there (it was her first experience of tights over the top of leotards too....which was interesting!!).

At my daughters' school they often go straight into a jazz or contemporary lesson with no time to change. They wear transition tights which they roll up and then put back footless tights over the top and on top of the leotard and a pair of black shorts. Black microfibre shorts knickers from Primark work extremely well as dance shorts and fit little ones as well. They are far less bulky than traditional shorts too! Just an idea. You could also quickly remove the shorts and black tights if the ballet was afterwards. Some auditions ask you to arrive already changed due to space issues. :)

Discreet....not DD so maybe nothing  she would wear an entire bouquet

She's a bit flamboyant really - we are currently arguing about a second leotard for Jazz & tights over or under :unsure:  :rolleyes: 

If we have one what colour & style or should she stay in her nice black one or change to a different black one

It's all too complicated and messing up my spreadsheet

• Like 3

Hi Katymac

Having" been in your shoes"  last year my advice would be to have all the leos ,tights and accessories in an  "audition case", dd had one of those with wheels, and let your dd get on with it.

Conflict over leotards  with an auditioning teenager is futile and will only serve to upset you. I have been in this very situation and she did what she wanted anyway.

I tried to post to you on NAPM but couldn't remember my password, here is what from our experience dd needed although she didn't do as many auditions as your dd.

Classical leotard and  convertible tights for ballet

Brighter colored leotard and black tights for jazz/ own solo.....tights worn over top of leotard ,would also recommend this for tap.

Hair accessories put in some pump action gel spray as some buildings don't allow use of aerosols.

Clothes used for singing were anything from nice tracksuit to dresses nothing too formal.

Whether your dd can change clothes in between classes will be governed on which groups she is in and the running order.DD arrived at Bird immaculate bun for ballet only to find she was in the group that sang first and had to take it all out.

My dd used the same solos,monolugues and songs for each audition.

A major item, and one we didn't have for Bird ,red lipstick  ;)

If your dd has everything with her she can see what others are doing and follow their lead .

My DD 's second leo was a lovely long sleeved lace one.....I let her choose this one ......my dd has a generous bust and for the ballet she had a Capezio bra-tek gave her a lovely shape.

You made me smile about messing up your spreadsheet......It is a very stressful time indeed ,wishing you and your dd lots of luck ......PM me if you want to know anything as we were just MT not ballet.

• Like 5

Classical leotard and  convertible tights for ballet Check

Brighter coloured leotard and black tights for jazz/ own solo.....tights worn over top of leotard ,would also recommend this for tap. This is the problem she doesn't have coloured leotards & I'm not entirely sure we can afford any new ones (I bought her a lovely one for Christmas but it all washed up) so it's either the Bratek one or her normal class one both are black - because the auditions are so clustered together I had to buy an extra Bratek as her dad wouldn't have time to wash it and get it dry

Hair accessories put in some pump action gel spray as some buildings don't allow use of aerosols. Check; but no gel/spray as she is afro & that really wouldn't work

Clothes used for singing were anything from nice tracksuit to dresses nothing too formalLoose trousers with a smock/dress

Whether your dd can change clothes in between classes will be governed on which groups she is in and the running order.DD arrived at Bird immaculate bun for ballet only to find she was in the group that sang first and had to take it all out. <gulp>

My dd used the same solos,monolugues and songs for each audition. Monologues will work but Arts Ed & Brit have stuffed up the songs

A major item, and one we didn't have for Bird ,red lipstick Never worn red but a nice dark brown is packed

PM me if you want to know anything Thanks I will

I'm going to put a plain leotard, shoes, pink & black tights plus a spare copy of her music/monologues/CDs in her rucksack with her lunch as well as her main stuff in her wheely bag/case

• Like 1

My DD only did dance, not MT but she did have contemporary and jazz classes as part of her auditions.  She stayed in her black leotard as she went off her brighter leotard a few days before her 1st audition and added black tights for jazz when she had time.  She was certainly not the only one who did not change.  Good luck to your DD.  Getting closer now.

• Like 2

Gosh you look very organised anyway Katymac. Ive seen this argument over leotards back in the summer when friend from Oz was over with DD. She coveted one of these expensive Degas leotards but mum wasn't too keen as she was only just 13 and in a growing spurt!!

The same argument came up with pointe shoes!! I think DD wanted to try the expensive Gaynor Minden ones but again mum not too keen ......growing girl and all that. That 12-16 spot is difficult because obviously cheaper to buy more than one (if online) but DD could be next size up 6months down the line!!

Re auditions all things being equal and she doesn't want you to pay £100 for a Leo may be best to go with her decision as she has got to wear it and feel comfortable etc. In the end the performance is the thing whatever style of dance doing and all the schools probably aren't THAT bothered in the end about what leotard they are wearing so what DD feels happiest in is best.

I love your "gulp" at the change of hairdo. This would definitely have been my undoing if going for auditions. I'd probably have cried if I'd had to take my perfect bun down!!! (Although in my case probably would have been a slightly sub standard one) Is your DD quite good at hair.....or do they all help each other out?