parking in Oxford

taxi4ballet

There seems to be a Park and Ride from whichever direction you approach Oxford.  Because of the ban on traffic in central Oxford, they are great, except on a Sunday when the last bus back is about 6.30pm in the evening.  However, if you are approaching Oxford from the east, there is some parking to be found in the centre, pay and display until 6.30pm (seven days a week).  Where you have to turn up Longwall Street, keep following the road around until you come to Park Road.  Turn left and there are a number of parking spaces towards the junction with Holywell Street and Broad Street (where the Sheldonian Theatre is).  I have usually been lucky enough to get a space there and it is only a five minute walk to the theatre. Alternatively, the train service for Oxford is great and, again, it is only a five-minute walk to the theatre.

If you haven't been to the New Theatre before, be prepared that they sometimes don't open the outside doors until 15 minutes before the performance (happened to me this year when I went to the Saturday matinee of ENB's 'Beauty') and the main doors are actually in the side street, not on the main road, so you end up waiting beside the rubbish bins! However, the auditorium is fine for sightlines and the acoustics are very good.

The train is only 5 minutes from the theatre?  Not when I tried it.

Of course, the Oxford Tube coach service also runs through the night (from almost just behind the theatre), and I think calls at one of the P&Rs, doesn't it?

However, the auditorium is fine for sightlines and the acoustics are very good.

Actually beware of sitting in the middle part of the first 8 or so rows as the orchestra "pit" is not a pit, so if you're right behind the orchestra you have to watch through a forest of violin bows etc.

The train is only 5 minutes from the theatre?  Not when I tried it.

Of course, the Oxford Tube coach service also runs through the night (from almost just behind the theatre), and I think calls at one of the P&Rs, doesn't it?

Guess I must have walked fast!

• 5 months later...

Can anyone help with a little advice, I need to go to Oxford which I am totally unfamiliar with and will need to find parking in the evening from about 5:30 for a few hours. Any suggestions? 

Definitely Park and Ride, there are several. Very efficient and operates after Theatre has finished. City Centre parking very expensive.

Have you tried parkatmyhouse.com?  People essentially rent out their driveway by the hour/day/week.

I've used it when in Oxford in the day time and it works out very cost effective.  I also use it as an alternative to station car parks which can also produce fairly eye watering charges ..

• Like 1

We always battle into the centre and park - we get home (Windsor) more quickly after the show that way. But Oxford is the most car hostile city I know and its not an inducemnt to go. Neither is the New Theatre come to that - akward and zippo social space. ATG operated too - not a great website. But ENB's Corsaire is worth it!

• Like 1

I'd vouch for Brighton being more car unfriendly than Oxford!!!

At least your city has a decent Park and ride scheme! Cambridge is great for that too!

Sorry bit off topic.....hope the parking goes well and enjoy Corsaire! :)

• Like 1