Royal Ballet Nutcracker casting

I don't think it affects other performances.  I just spoke to the Box Office and it appears that it was made available to the general public by mistake.  It was supposed to be a performance at a special price which was only available to people who'd never before visited the ROH.  I don't know if they're going to leave it on sale or not but I imagine that, if they were to take it off, they'd have to honour existing bookings.

I'd originally phoned about a similar situation with the Nutcracker Insight on November 17. It appears that, after Premium and Supporting Friends had booked for this insight, they took it off sale as they'd decided to make it part of this programme for people who'd never before come to a performance at the ROH.  Since, however, it has now put on sale to the general public (by mistake), it appears that they intend to honour the £5 bookings.  I was even told that I should return my full price ticket so as to be able to exchange it for a ticket at the lower price.

Edited by Bluebird

I booked for the Insight and have had my booking confirmed at the reduced price.  But since they went invitation only and then exclusively for Friends I can only get seats for Insights, rehearsals etc. if someone sells on their seat.  So I am a rare visitor with little realistic chance of attending such events.

Judging by the last few booking periods, Friends are frequently unable to find affordable seats for any of the performances they want to see, so why on earth is the ROH trying to reach an even wider audience?   They need to put on more performances and not restrict some of the precious few for a mythical audience which may not exist.

Frankly, I think the Royal Ballet needs another auditorium or should even consider separating from the Opera.  The company could still perform at the opera house sometimes but should have another home for its exclusive use.

What do others think?

Linda

Edited for typo.

Edited by loveclassics

Would it really be so uneconomic?  Most arts organisations like the ROH have to spend a sizeable proportion of their income on maintaining the building they use. If a ballet company had its own modest rehearsal studios and could rent a reasonably sized auditorium where it could put on more performances wouldn't more income be available for actual productions?  I'm not saying that a niche interest like ballet could manage without any sponsorship but it would be interesting to see some real-life cost/profit projections that didn't include maintaining a listed building.

There's obviously enough demand for more ballet performances but sharing the venue with opera doesn't seem to have much to recommend it beyond tradition.

NB the moderators may wish to put this in a different thread.

That paying rent at another theatre would be uneconomic, unfortunately.  I keep saying I'd like to see them doing a season of smaller-scale works at Sadler's Wells, but doubt it will happen.

I have discussed this with senior RB management (but referring to the Linbury rather than SW and as an addition to the season rather than instead of it) and the issue is time for rehearsal and availability of dancers generally.  The RB is already one of the busiest European companies outside of Russia and when educational engagements are included I wonder when the dancers have any spare time!  I think a season of smaller works outside of the ROH would not be economically viable as public interest in them tends to be limited (there's a reason there are so many Swan Lakes, Sleeping Beauties and Nutcrackers!).

I think the RB have 129 performances at the ROH in the 13/14 season (including H&G in the Linbury), excluding open rehearsals and the like.  I wonder where Linda thinks the dancers would find the time for more shows whilst still rehearsing a varied rep and avoiding injuries.

I'm also puzzled as to why Linda thinks more shows at a smaller venue would provide more "seats".  There's a lack of available space suitable for ballet in London anyway and most of the smaller venues have a stage that is too small to perform the larger ballets in an appropriate fashion.

• Like 2

Hello everybody. 

I dont know if this is the right place to ask my question, but well, I've thought it was here, if not, please excuse me.

Well, the thing is this: I have my plane ticket, my hotel booked, everything arranged. and I go to the website and is says SOLD OUT :-(

Really¡¡¡ 

I only stay in London the 4th 5th and 6th. so, that was perfect, specially for me, as I am a great fan of Lauren Cuthbertson, and also of Iohna Loots, that her Clara is IDEAL  in the DVD I've seen a few times. sooo, it was the ideal cast for me, I mean, Ideal¡¡¡  and I read, SOLD OUT.

I've read of the website that the day of the perfomance there are 64 seats sold from 10 am. 

ok. I will definitely go and try to get one for me, of course¡¡¡ but my question is anybody here knows at what time start to be people stading in queues 

to get the ticket? 

I have booked a hotel near St.Pancrass Station, so well, I suposse that I will have to wake up early, to go till the opera house , but I would not want to be too early or too late....:-(  and I've been told that is quite cold in december in England. so....:-) I prefer to stay in the hotel a little bit longer before I go to the convent garden to stand in the cold. 

By the way, if I finally manage to get a ticket for that performance , those 64 seats that they sold, where are located?  and what is the cost of each ticket, as I've been looking that information in the website but I can't find it anywhere. 

thank you very much for your answers. 

:-)

Swan66, may I suggest that you repeat this post in the Ticket Exchange section of this forum and make sure that your new post has the heading 'Nutcracker Tickets wanted'. Others will be able to advise you about day tickets in this section of the forum. Good luck.

Don't worry. You will get a ticket.

There are 67 day tickets available to the queue from 10 a.m. If you are there by 9 you would be very unlucky not to get a ticket though I think one or two people do go earlier. I do this quite often and rarely seem to arrive before 9.30 and have never been unable to get anything.

It is only one ticket per person but you can go to the back of the queue again and get another if need be.

By the way, if I finally manage to get a ticket for that performance , those 64 seats that they sold, where are located?  and what is the cost of each ticket, as I've been looking that information in the website but I can't find it anywhere. 

Dayseats are in various different locations.  These are the prices for The Nutcracker:

Stalls Circle row C side bench seats £34

Stalls Circle standing £10

Balcony standing £10

Rear Amphitheatre £24 and £15

Some of these places have a restricted view.  You should check when buying. 

It’s hard to say what time you should arrive.  Obviously, the closer you are to the front of the queue, the more likely you are to get a good ticket.   As John says, you will probably be able to get a ticket if you arrive around 9.30am but you might get more choice if you arrive earlier

Edited by Bluebird

As far as I know you queue inside the opera house for tickets......so shouldn't have to worry too much about the cold!! Probably no point in getting there before 9 am as doors won't be open and then you will have to queue outside. Probably 9.15 will be fine.

If for some reason you don't get a ticket you want in the morning you can then queue again in the evening.......the queue usually starts forming around 6pm. This queue is for returns and could be for seats anywhere in the House. When I have done this I have rarely not got in. The tickets come back till right up to 5mins before the start of the performance but Ive usually got one by 7.15!!

Good luck and as someone else said already do see if someone from the Forum has a spare ticket for the dates you want. If not now try again nearer the date when people may have to pull out from going at the last minute. :)

As far as I know you queue inside the opera house for tickets......so shouldn't have to worry too much about the cold!! Probably no point in getting there before 9 am as doors won't be open and then you will have to queue outside. Probably 9.15 will be fine.

The Opera House doesn't open its doors until 10am so you will need to queue outside until then.  You will, however, be in a covered walkway. Although it might be cold, you'd be sheltered from any rain.

• Like 1

If for some reason you don't get a ticket you want in the morning you can then queue again in the evening.......the queue usually starts forming around 6pm. This queue is for returns and could be for seats anywhere in the House. When I have done this I have rarely not got in. The tickets come back till right up to 5mins before the start of the performance but Ive usually got one by 7.15!!

There's actually a cut-off point of half-an-hour before the start of the performance, after which time the Box Office won't accept any further returns.  I'm not sure what happens to tickets brought back after that time: I have a feeling some people will try and sell them to the queue themselves, but believe this is officially frowned upon.

Ive definitely been offered a ticket by the box office on more than one occasion after 7 pm.

However it's true the public can approach the queue with tickets but if you decide to buy one you have to go out of sight of the box office.

ROH Box Office now displays notices stating that ticket returns and exchanges are deemed valid by ROH only if handled by the Box Office. On two occasions in the past I have sold returned tickets to someone waiting in the queue. I would not do this again now.

Apologies if this should now be in a separate thread.

If you sold a ticket to someone in the queue after 7pm how would anyone know its "not valid"

If this really is the attitude of the ROH that nothing is to be sold effectively after 7pm when it's often their loyal fans in the queue then things have gone downhill.

The last time I did this was about 18 months ago as am a Friend at the moment. But on that occasion especially as I'd allowed an American women and her son to jump me twice( he was a ballet student in US) the Box office were very sympathetic and they came running over at 7.20pm with a ticket at the back of the orchestra stalls which I bought.!!

However if someone from the public had offered me a legit ticket we would have just moved away and completed the transaction outside the Shop or something and no one on the door would say that's not a valid ticket!! There is certainly nothing morally wrong with this as long as they approach the right end of the queue!!

I have no idea if the box office have suddenly gone all draconian about this ......7pm is certainly too soon to cut off resale of tickets!!

But I used to find them reasonably friendly toward the queue!

I once had to resell a ticket directly to another patron as it was later than the 30 minutes cut-off, ROH staff very much told us it was forbidden and said the tickets wouldn't be valid (although their first comment was that we should step outside to proceed with the transaction); but it turned out not to be the case, they let that person in.

As with many things, the ROH don't want to be seen to condone unofficial re-selling of tickets. It makes sense to conduct transactions discreetly and away from the box office area. Unless a ticket is exchanged under the nose of a member of staff there is no way of anyone knowing that it has changed hands. And, of course, people often buy tickets for friends and relatives and it is difficult for a staff member to know whether money changing hands is reimbursement of the ticket price or one person selling his/her ticket to another.

• Like 1

Either way the ROH are not being cheated of any money!!

If a friend can't come say who has already paid for her ticket and I try to resell her ticket......the money would go back to her....she hasn't used " the goods" so to speak! And a member of the public has a delightful evening attending the performance........think how delighted Swan66 all the way from Spain would be!!

If I resell via box office.......presumably they don't take the money twice for the same ticket but just offer to the queue.......but my poor sick friend doesn't get her money back for not being able to attend!!

And moreover if there is now this new 7pm rule I would be very miffed to have to give to the box office and it just sits there and lovely lady Swan66( sorry just using you as poor member of queue example) does not get in to see performance!

From a human perspective which is what I try to operate by.......and why I let two Americans, admittedly ballet mad ones in before me as their possible one and only chance to get in to ROH.........it makes sense to me to resell discreetly to the queue members both morally and humanely so to speak.

What is this 30 min cut off rule......it's ridiculous maybe a 10 min rule to give people time to get to seats but anything more is just them being self satisfied........they've got their money who cares about the queue members many of which may have already tried for tickets and failed.

Often if the box office do say they still have tickets to sell they are restricted view or just over some people's affordability.

Sorry a bit off thread as Swan66 is hoping to get in to see her favourite dancer Lauren Cuthbertson and she is the sort of person I may consider allowing to jump me if I was in the queue!! This is the enthusiasm you have their and is to be rewarded and not frowned on by the box office from where I'm standing.

What is really annoying is if one returns a ticket some days ahead of the performance but the Box Office doesn't put it back on sale because the decision to do so is (quote) "at their discretion" or (quote again) "we sometimes hold them back in case we need them".  Suspecting that my returned tickets had not been offered online, I have twice enquired as to the reason and those were the answers I received. In fairness, following my protests (not least because the performances were sold out), the said tickets did go onto the ROH website pretty quickly. 

• Like 1

Lin, the half-hour rule has been in place for years, and I suspect it merely has to do with the practicalities of box office staff accepting returned tickets and putting them back on the system within half-an-hour of curtain-up, when there usually tend to be lots of people waiting to be seen.  It takes about 5 minutes to do each ticket in my experience, and it's probably not practical to process them that late on.

Having said that, this thread has gone way off its original subject.  Could we perhaps get it back on course?

• Like 2

Hello Everyone.

I am overwhelmed by so many answers to my questions.You are all VERY kind.

A friend told me that the British people are very helpful, and yes, I do can attest to that. Really ¡¡¡ I did not expect so many answers and so perfectly clear with such detailed information.

So, many thanks to everyone, you're all super friendly.

That makes me remember the 4th nov 2004, when I asked my parents to go to the première of Sylvia , as I really wanted to see live the famous star Darcey Bussell, and well,finally I got the permission and went to London that same evening I landed the same 4th november and enjoyed that big success première with Jonathan Cope (Fantastic dancer¡¡¡) and the great Darcey Bussell, and if that was not enough  , the 5th I saw Zenaida's performance as Sylvia, so great too¡¡ and I still remember when she took the curtain calls, she smiled so beautifully, that I still have the photo¡¡ as I was seated just near the orchestra and just 2 meters from her¡¡ so, well...as you can read, I have wonderful memories of that première of Sylvia, by the way, a wonderful version¡¡¡

It was a real complete trip  3 big dance stars in just one trip¡¡¡ ;)  COPE,BUSSELL and YANOWSKY 

So, I do hope to return home with the same good memories as that trip.

First for Lauren which,I think ( it's my humble opinion) She has something so unique, so distinctive; an intangible quality that seems to surround this beautiful dancer whenever she is on stage that makes her so unique and captivating the looks of everybody. Well, that's my feelings when I see her dancing. of course, there are wonderful dancers in the company, but as Darcey was unique, I think Lauren is that kind of dancers, that one  important and experienced friend told me: that's the kind of dancers that appears one every 10 years. Also I am very happy to see live the same cast I have at home on the DVD Loots and Cervera, which is PERFECT. I simply love those two fantastic dancers. so that 6th december performance will be a night at the ballet to remember, that's for sure¡¡¡

Thank you¡¡ :)

John Mallinson, Ailin, Bluebird : thanks a lot for your detailed information, now I have it all more clear, you're very kind¡¡¡

• Like 1

Either way the ROH are not being cheated of any money!!

If a friend can't come say who has already paid for her ticket and I try to resell her ticket......the money would go back to her....she hasn't used " the goods" so to speak! And a member of the public has a delightful evening attending the performance........think how delighted Swan66 all the way from Spain would be!!

If I resell via box office.......presumably they don't take the money twice for the same ticket but just offer to the queue.......but my poor sick friend doesn't get her money back for not being able to attend!!

And moreover if there is now this new 7pm rule I would be very miffed to have to give to the box office and it just sits there and lovely lady Swan66( sorry just using you as poor member of queue example) does not get in to see performance!

From a human perspective which is what I try to operate by.......and why I let two Americans, admittedly ballet mad ones in before me as their possible one and only chance to get in to ROH.........it makes sense to me to resell discreetly to the queue members both morally and humanely so to speak.

What is this 30 min cut off rule......it's ridiculous maybe a 10 min rule to give people time to get to seats but anything more is just them being self satisfied........they've got their money who cares about the queue members many of which may have already tried for tickets and failed.

Often if the box office do say they still have tickets to sell they are restricted view or just over some people's affordability.

Sorry a bit off thread as Swan66 is hoping to get in to see her favourite dancer Lauren Cuthbertson and she is the sort of person I may consider allowing to jump me if I was in the queue!! This is the enthusiasm you have their and is to be rewarded and not frowned on by the box office from where I'm standing.

Dont' worry using me as an example, it's ok ¡¡ I'm sure that morning will be lots of people to manage to get a ticket to see that special CAST which in my opinion is the ideal one.

by the way, you wrote: a nice lady...

but Iam a boy¡¡¡ :-) ;)

dont' worry¡¡¡ hehehe

best regards¡¡

• Like 1

Thanks LinMM. Yes, I will do my best to get a ticket for that performance.

it is such an ideal cast that I wouldn't miss it for the world¡¡¡ Of course, Cuthbertson is the main interest going . I've seen The nutcracker a few times, but I also have great interest in another cast member : Iohna Loots as I've seen her many times on videos ( Sylvia, Sleeping Beauty ) and of course, her SUPERB performance, I'd say, the ideal one of Clara at the Nutcracker DVD that I enjoy so much everytime I watch it.

So that cast is fantastic.Another Cast that  I would have loved to see is the one with Sarah Lamb¡¡¡ but well, unfortunately I will only be 2 days in London. Best regards¡¡ :)

• Like 1

Yes I saw Iohna Loots when she was a student and thought she was very expressive then. It wasn't even in her final year so must be very talented. Don't forget to try for a ticket through this Forum wishing you luck :)

Linda