EYB Sleeping Beauty

Lemongirl

No idea..yet! DD did Nutcracker at that age but hasn't done Sleeping Beauty before.

Might be worth looking at EYB's facebook page - people tend to put a lot of photos there and you may get an idea of rough ages.

My advice is to not worry too much because whatever part they get, they will enjoy! :-)

• 1 month later...

Casting date is tuesday 19th June; rehearsal dates too numerous to remember! If I recall they start on 8th August. They are definitely sending letters out though; you should have one soon.

• 4 weeks later...

DD managed to break her pointe shoes yesterday, and I've rung round every shop I can think of today without success - ordered a pair over the phone though, so here's hoping they come in the morning... :blink:

Otherwise we'll have to go through all her old ones and pick out the least knackered!

• Like 1

Thanks! She had a lovely time and is going to be a Guest, on pointe. I had no idea what that was but Dominic said it's a lovely part because they have bits to do in all the acts, some acting, pointework, and nice costumes. She's with her best dancing friend so all good. :-)

• Like 9

Thanks Charlie! Yes, she was happy - I think she was at a slightly awkward in between stage this time; too advanced for some parts but not old enough for others. But isn't that 13 year olds anyway - slightly awkward and in between! :-)

She's just delighted not to be wearing an animal head, so is happy regardless. :-)

• Like 5

My dd had a lovely time too at yesterday's casting. She's going to be a jewel or something like that, no idea what that entails! I was very surprised that she's been cast en pointe although she's only been doing it a very short while. She thinks it's a 'semi pointe' part. I hope her feet will be ok.

• Like 1

They were put into 3 divisions, youngest, juniors & seniors. All had numbers, not the audition ones but alphabetical I think.

Half-hour warm up and then about an hour and a half when they did different dances, and were shuffled back and forth between groups. Some changes due to height, experience on pointe etc and at the end were called out in groups and told what they were cast as (according to dd in the car on the way home, who was in seniors).

Thanks, she's really looking forward to it!

Seniors at the original audition is 12+ , although they do very occasionally put a few 11-year-olds in that group too. I think it depends on their ballet grade.

DD has only done the senior auditions, so we don't know what they are looking for in juniors, but the senior one is about grade 6 upwards (I think?).

The auditions are a great experience, as I'm sure others on the forum will agree, and parents get to watch too. You get told whether or not you are in straight away, so there is no nail-biting wait for the postman.

• Like 2

My dd also had a lovely time at the casting and was really pleased with her part (though won't be told the exact role until rehearsals start - not sure why.)

The staff make things so nice for them all. We live well outside of the area so she was pleased that she already knew a couple of very nice girls from a previous production.

I am new to the forum but have really enjoyed following all your stories . My dd is 9 and also attented the EYB casting at Aylesbury. She is going to be a Songbird and a mini Cinderella.(she thinks!) This is her first time doing anything ballet related apart from her dance school shows. We are really looking forward to watching her perform and she is very excited about the rehearsals although she doesn't know anyone else. I hope she has the best summer ever! Do they normally give the younger girls two roles?

• Like 3

They all have 2 roles or changes of costume, it keeps them involved in the whole production! The little Cinderella's are lovely, so sweet and a lovely costume as well, as are the songbirds, she will have a ball!! They have a warm up class first for an hour and then into rehearsals. She will come out tired but you and her dance teacher should see a whole lot of improvement in how quickly she learns, her confidence and her performance presence. Hopefully she will be adicted and you will find yourself booking holidays around the country where EYB is performing!!

• Like 1