• 1 month later...
  • Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not on SkyArts but PBS America (available on Sky or Virgin) is showing a doc. 'American Ballet Theatre: a history' tomorrow night (Saturday 9th July) from 9.15pm to 11.35pm. (The times are in the Radio Times though elsewhere the doc. is listed as lasting 1 hr 45 mins)

'Ric Burns’ documentary on the 75-year history of the preeminent ballet company combines rehearsal footage, virtuoso performances and interviews with ABT's key figures including Alicia Alonso and the late Donald Saddler and Frederic Franklin; Susan Jaffe and Julie Kent, Misty Copeland, Gillian Murphy, Marcelo Gomez, Hee Seo, choreographer Alexei Ratmansky and Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie.'

Sounds good!!

• Like 4

Not on SkyArts but PBS America (available on Sky or Virgin) is showing a doc. 'American Ballet Theatre: a history' tomorrow night (Saturday 9th July) from 9.15pm to 11.35pm. (The times are in the Radio Times though elsewhere the doc. is listed as lasting 1 hr 45 mins)

'Ric Burns’ documentary on the 75-year history of the preeminent ballet company combines rehearsal footage, virtuoso performances and interviews with ABT's key figures including Alicia Alonso and the late Donald Saddler and Frederic Franklin; Susan Jaffe and Julie Kent, Misty Copeland, Gillian Murphy, Marcelo Gomez, Hee Seo, choreographer Alexei Ratmansky and Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie.'

Sounds good!!

Also available on Freesat channel 156

Sounds good!!

Thanks for finding this for us jmhopton (on a channel I didn’t even know I had). I enjoyed it a lot and slow motion ballet is marvellous! The ballet philosophy and history voice overs by Jennifer Homans* and others were also surprisingly interesting.

*author of my favourite ballet book, Apollo’s Angels.

• 4 months later...

I see Sky Arts are showing the following ballets next week

Sunday 27 Nov 14.00 The Nutcracker (2012 recording with Gary Avis, Meaghan Grace Hinkis and Ricardo Cervera)

Monday 28 Nov 17.40 Les Patineurs

19.10 The Nutcracker (repeat)

Tuesday 29 Nov 15.00 Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Wednesday 30 Nov 09.00 Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (repeat)

11.15 Les Patineurs (repeat)

Thursday 1 December 06.35 Bolero (POB)

10.00 Don Quixote (Australian Ballet 1973 Nureyev)

Sorry this is in the terrestrial TV thread but I couldn't find the Sky one.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it anywhere but Sky Arts next Saturday is broadcasting Graeme Murphy's SL with the Australian Ballet (seemingly taped at the Coliseum - hopefully with Amber Scott) next Saturday at 1.30 pm.  They also are showing the RB's Nutcracker later that evening.  Sky Arts list it as 'new'.  Don't know if this means it is the latest cinema release .. or just a more recent (or older) one that is 'new' to Sky.  

They also are broadcasting 'Billy Elliot: THE MUSICAL' on 19th December.  (Realise that is not a ballet ... but included as it may be of 'dance' interest.)

Forgive me if all this is a repeat.  Don't have time with all the work on my desk to go ploughing through a long chain.  Just wanted to list this if it had not been mentioned. 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

Thanks for drawing my attention to this, Bruce.  In the chaos of having my kitchen re-built I hadn't had time to check TV listings but I shall really look forward to seeing it as a little light relief to cleaning up all the dust!

Sky don't seem to be listing Nutcracker on that night but it may be updated later - they're not infallible.

Linda

This version of Peter Wright's production appears to be by the Australian Ballet. "Peter Wright's the Nutcracker (Arts)

Created for Birmingham Royal Ballet and now performed by The Australian Ballet, Peter Wright's production of The Nutcracker is considered the world's most beautiful. Recorded in 2008."

I got this from the this listings site:

http://www.mydigiguide.com/dgx/wbl.dll?a=2&h=35&dt=58566ae0&ch=50529&cname=Sky%20Arts%20HD&el=http%3a%2f%2fdigiguide%2etv%2fgeneral%2fliteads%2feg1%2f

• Like 3

Darn, I don't have Sky Arts but would sooo love to see SL again as I was smitten by it last summer. I assume there's a DVD....and I still just have enough time to write to Santa!

I have a DVD of the Murphy Swan Lake by Australian Ballet so one does exist.

Edited by Don Q Fan

• 5 months later...

It’ll be interesting to see what this turns out to be. I think POB usually do Le Palais de Cristal ( a full colour version of Symphony in C) and New York City Ballet’s Symphony in C, performed at the Paris Opera, has just been released on disc. I do hope it’s the POB actually performing – only because I’ve just bought the NYC recording (which is very good).

• 5 months later...
22 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

19th November at 3.00 pm - Ashton - Rhapsody/Two Pigeons ... :) ... A little touch of Ashton magic to brighten up anyone's day ... 

Thanks for the heads up Bruce. Sky Arts has had very little of late to make it worth continuing to subscribe. Perhaps the winter season will bring some new broadcasts.

• Like 2