• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Link to Sky Arts 2 Listings:

http://search.sky.com/tv/?term=sky%20arts%202&channel=main

Today:  2pm Swan Lake (Yanowsky/Kish) &  8pm La Bayadere (Rojo/Acosta/Nunez)

Thanks for the heads-up. I had the RB Swan Lake recorded over Christmas and loved it, but then my V+ Box broke and too the recording with it. Boo! I though Yanowsky was incredible. :)

• Like 2

The Radio Times listings appear to be all over the place. Last Friday I got excited about an Ashton bill which turned out to be La Bayadere, ( I was alerted on these forums this was unlikely to be correct). Next Friday the listing says Les Patineurs. At least it agrees about Giselle on Wednesday.

I recorded the 8pm showing of La Bayadere and it had a really distracting Sky Arts logo and something like "8pm Show" in the top left corner of it. However, when I happened to switch on the TV this morning in the middle of the re-run, this logo was missing. So my suggestion if you you're recording it and want the best version, go for one of the early morning repeats instead of the 8pm one! :)

I also recorded La Bayadere on Friday. Yes, the Sky logo in top corner is annoying but I can live with it! Just great to see this wonderful ballet production on Sky TV, which I pay for principally in the hope of getting stuff shown like this. Seriously, Sky Arts was my main reason to have Sky installed and for me, overall, it has proved good and value for money for me!

• Like 3

By accident I recorded the sign language version of "Good Swan, Bad Swan" - very distracting.  I can't help wondering whether subtitles wouldn't be a better option for this type of programme.  The constant movement really distracts while trying to watch the dancers because, of course, it isn't in time with the choreography.

Just finished watching Osipova/Acosta Giselle. Just as sublime as when I saw it at the cinema. A great treat and amazing to see it so soon after the broadcast, especially as it's going to be released as a dvd later in the year. I can't recall any other ballet that was shown so promptly. Usually you've got to wait about a year. I think the Polunin Beauty they showed at Christmas for the first time was filmed about 2011. Also they seem to have edited it slightly from the cinema version. They edited out the rake falling on Hilarion when he tries to break into Albrecht's cottage. Also I seem to remember something happening to Myrtha and her flowers which didn't appear. They also showed the bits of the audience who were giving them a standing ovation at the end. I just wish the camera was a bit higher when the corps cross the stage in the second act. You lose a bit of the magic by seeing it on a level and you definately didn't need close ups then. But that is a very minor point for a superb ballet experience. Is it too much to hope Reid Anderson will relax his no filming rule for her Tatiana?

• Like 2

I didn't get to see Giselle at the cinema recently so was thrilled to see it on TV last night. Only caught it by chance though! Thought Osipova was amazing, but at the risk of resurrecting the old debate again, the very high developes and battlement lents in wili costume just seemed out of place!

Ditto the 1940s red lipstick. This may be a minor quibble or a matter of personal taste but I found it a tad distracting.

I would like to add my pleadings for a broadcast of Onegin. Equally, could the next be cast a bit wider and include other companies, such as ENBs Le Corsaire. That would be a great change from Nutcracker every year with the same production.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This week SkyArts2 are repeating the Dutch National Ballet Cinderella (with Matthew Golding) on Thursday afternoon (10th) at 2pm

Followed by A Beautiful tragedy at 4.05 to 5pm, a doc. about a young Russian ballet dancer

5pm - 6pm BalletBoyz: a chance to dance. repeated Sunday 7pm

NEW on SkyArts 2 Friday 11th 6.40 - 8pm To Dance Like a Man: 11 year old Cuban triplets dream of dancing for the Cuban National Ballet; repeated Saturday at 1am and also 9.40am.

Saturday 12th 6.40 - 8pm Nacho Duato Danse la danse repeated Sunday 8.30am.

Tuesday 15th  7-8pm Destino: a contemporary dance story.

Wednesday 16th 7-8pm Making of La Dame aux Camellias

8-10.20pm La dame aux Camellias POB repeated 2pm Thursday

By accident I recorded the sign language version of "Good Swan, Bad Swan" - very distracting.  I can't help wondering whether subtitles wouldn't be a better option for this type of programme.  The constant movement really distracts while trying to watch the dancers because, of course, it isn't in time with the choreography.

This programme will have carried subtitles as well as sign language - the two aren't interchangeable. And there will have been another (standard) version of the programme without the in-vision interpreter (signer). There are strict regulations on the percentage of programmes that need to be signed or subtitled. Only 5% of programmes are signed, so it actually can be quite difficult to hit upon the signed version! For many Deaf people, British Sign Language is their first language - it is an official independent language in its own right - and subtitles can sometimes alienate those with poor literacy skills.

• Like 1

Have seen To Dance like a Man - it is lovely and I would recommend it to everyone.

Rowan, I completely understand that different people have different needs. Maybe it was shown somewhere that it was a "signed" version , but it wasn't apparent when I hit the record button.  I would simply have liked to have it clearly labelled so that I had the choice.

And ditto on the programme guide - although you may need to go into the Information section for that. I try and remember that anything programmed in the early hours of the morning is liable to be a bit suspect (but got caught out on the Sylvie Guillem repeat :( )

• 4 weeks later...

Just seen in the Radio Times there are several 'new' dance programmes on SkyArts 2 next week.  

Monday 19th May

6pm South Bank Show featuring Tamara (this is a repeat)

8pm Nureyev and friends (NEW) Gala type programme with solos and pas de deux that Nureyev danced. According to Locate tv website which lists 2 weeks of programmes ( a useful website if you're going on holiday and want to set your dvd recorder), pas de deux include, Bayadere, Manon, Swan Lake and Marguerite and Armand and dancers include Tamara, Aurelie Dupont and Vadim Muntagirov.

Wednesday 21st May

7pm Merce Cunningham: a legacy of dance (repeat)

8pm Solo (NEW) performance by Sylvie Guillem

8.15 Shift (NEW) Performance by Russell Maliphant.

8.35 Two (NEW) Performance by Sylvie Guillem

8.50 Push (NEW) Duet with Russell Maliphant and Sylvie Guillem.

9.25 To dance like a man (repeat)  Doc. about triplet boys at ballet school in Havanna.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Once again, apologies for the late notice, but "tonight" (actually in the early hours of Sunday):

Sadler's Wells on Screen:

4 am: Push

4.35: Solo

4.50: Shift 

5.10: Two

Sunday 27th, 9.30 pm: RB Swan Lake (Yanowsky/Kish)

Monday 28th: 8 pm: La Bayadère (POB? - my guess) (repeated at 3 am and 8.50 am on Tuesday)

10.10 pm: Bolero (POB)

Then nothing for the rest of the week.

The Bayadere is the old Royal Ballet Acosta/Tamara version and they are showing it several times the week after next also.

On Tuesday 5th August at 3am and 8am  they are also repeating  the Osipova/Acosta Giselle.

There is a very good website called locatetv.com which has 2 weeks of programmes. Very useful for forward planning or if you're going away and want to set the dvd.

• 2 weeks later...

According to the Radio Times SkyArts 2 is showing the Cuthberton/Bonelli Romeo for the first time this evening at 8pm so I've missed it! However,  it is repeated at 3am tomorrow morning ending at 5.35 am. It is repeated again tomorrow at 8am. Also Saturday 16th August at 2pm and Sunday 17th at 9.30pm.

• 2 months later...

SkyArts 2 is showing 2 new ballet programmes next Monday at 8pm-11pm. There is a  one hour documentary presented by Deborah Bull called The Bolshoi:dancing for Russia. This is followed by a 1991 performance of Giselle starring the wonderful Nina Ananiashvilli.

Deborah is also hosting a new radio  series starting this Saturday at 2pm for one hour a week for 6 weeks called Classic FM at the ballet.

• Like 3

Thank you for drawing attentiin to this. Nina is one of my absolute favourite ballerinas. I still rate her Raymonda at the Coliseum as the greatest individual performance in a full length classic I have ever seen. It is rare to see someone that classical, intelligent, musical and beautiful all at once.

Ooh, lovely. Wish they showed some of this on free-to-air TV. 

'Free-to-air' that is by way of a mandatory tax ... oh, sorry, license fee.  (Without that, even more would surely be able subscribe to, say, Sky Arts and allow their already established arts programming to further flourish ... for the greater edification of an even greater number.)

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

The Bolshoi Unseen series continues next Monday with a 1978 production of Don Q starring Nadezhda Pavlova and her husband Vyacheslav Gordeev shown at 8pm and repeated in the early hours of Tuesday and then again the following Saturday.

BBC4 on Friday 14th November shows a repeat of the 'Darcey Bussell dances Hollywood' programme.

I enjoyed the telecast last night but found the lack of cast information very irritating. If seems to me odd that we are told who was Giselle and Hilarion but not Albrecht or Myrthe. I recognised Fadeyechev so can anyone help me with the rest? I wish Deborah Bull would include this in her introduction.

I just saw Giselle tonight and I too am sure that Albrecht was danced by Fadeyechev yet it was billed as Victor Barykin. If they only mention 2 members of cast it's not very good to get one of them wrong! Nina was amazing; up there with Alina and Osipova as one of the great Giselles. I didn't think the production as a whole as nearly as good as Peter Wrights. I didn't like the lack of mime and the first act costumes were more like ball gowns than peasant costumes. The 2nd act lighting also made things difficult to follow at times. In a recent Dancing Times article Osipova said that in St Petersburg Giselle is not seen as a peasant girl in the first act, more as a spiritual creature, a princess (perhaps this accounts for the female costumes) but surely that lessens the impact of the difference between the acts. Surely the whole point is she is a real girl with real emotions but with a physical frailty which also lets her down her when she is let down by her lover.