• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Royal Ballet: Ashton Triple Bill, Three productions, including an adaption of Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream, an Ashton masterpiece and a performance of Marguerite and Armand
Sky Arts

Sky:122  Virgin:123  BT:348

Wed 8 Jul
6:55am-9:05am 

• 4 weeks later...

Australian Ballet: The Merry Widow A performance of the ballet based on Franz Lehar's romantic operetta, created for the Australian Ballet in 1975 by its principal dancer and choreographer Robert Helpmann 

Sky Arts

Sky:122   Virgin:123  BT:348

Sun 2 Aug  11:15am-1:00pm  and  Wed 5 Aug  7:15am-9:00am

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Janite said:

Australian Ballet: The Merry Widow A performance of the ballet based on Franz Lehar's romantic operetta, created for the Australian Ballet in 1975 by its principal dancer and choreographer Robert Helpmann 

Sky Arts

It was commissioned by Helpmann who created the scenario and the choreography was by Ronald Hynd

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stucha said:

It was commissioned by Helpmann who created the scenario and the choreography was by Ronald Hynd

Thank you. I copied the blurb from the Sky Arts page. I have not seen this one before so I am quite excited. 

Yes, still available - I bought a copy very recently. The Australian Ballet version is also available on DVD. I haven't seen either yet, but I really enjoyed the Teatro Colon stream with Marianela Nuñez.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DanJL said:

Yes, still available - I bought a copy very recently. The Australian Ballet version is also available on DVD. I haven't seen either yet, but I really enjoyed the Teatro Colon stream with Marianela Nuñez.

Me too! I thought Marianella terrific. The role could have been made for her. if only she could do it at the ROH with Vadim!

• Like 2

REPEAT

Australian Ballet: Cinderella

A production of Prokofiev's classic work based on the fairy tale, choreographed by Alexei Ratmansky
Sky Arts HD    Sky:820  Virgin:156  BT:363       Sun 9 Aug    10:30am-12:30pm

On 23/07/2020 at 08:23, Janite said:

Sky Arts

Janite, a while ago I think you gave a link to Sky Arts advanced programming. Could you give it again, please as I saved it as a favourite but later I couldn't get it to work. At the moment I can only get programming a week in advance and though it's not currently a problem it would be great to know a bit more in advance if we ever get round to going on holiday again.

Also, is the Merry Widow they're showing the 1993 version with Steven Heathcote as the young Count or the more recent version that was shown at the cinema about 18 months ago when he was playing the older gentleman? I think I marginally prefer the older version though until seeing Marianella my overall favourite was the Canadian Karen Kain version. However, Marianella was stunning and made it her own. Would love to see her do it with Vadim though it was great to see her with the person I assume is her current partner. It seemed to be his last performance and got many flowers and much applause so was obviously wonderful to see her with him for that special performance.

Also I see SkyArts is going to launch on Freeview in September. Good news for those who don't have subscription TV. No news of ballet or opera but we can but hope.

Sky Arts director Philip Edgar-Jones said: “There’s never been a stronger need or demand for the arts, nor a more important time to champion and celebrate creativity.

“That’s why we’re throwing open the doors to make Sky Arts a free channel. During lockdown we’ve seen audiences to the channel increase by 50% and our weekly live paint-along show, Portrait Artist Of The Week, reached 4.6 million people with over 20,000 portraits painted.”

“As a free to air channel I hope that Sky Arts can help arts organisations and cultural institutions of all shapes and sizes across the UK, providing them with a platform to create and showcase their work to a broad audience.”

As part of this commitment, Sky Arts will launch a series of bursaries worth £30,000 ($39,000) each, pairing leading figures from the arts world with diverse and emerging new artists on a mentoring initiative.

Although the channel is moving out from behind the paywall, Sky Arts On Demand’s library of 2,000 hours of content will remain exclusive to Sky and NOW TV customers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Also I see SkyArts is going to launch on Freeview in September. Good news for those who don't have subscription TV. No news of ballet or opera but we can but hope.

Sky Arts director Philip Edgar-Jones said: “There’s never been a stronger need or demand for the arts, nor a more important time to champion and celebrate creativity.

“That’s why we’re throwing open the doors to make Sky Arts a free channel. During lockdown we’ve seen audiences to the channel increase by 50% and our weekly live paint-along show, Portrait Artist Of The Week, reached 4.6 million people with over 20,000 portraits painted.”

“As a free to air channel I hope that Sky Arts can help arts organisations and cultural institutions of all shapes and sizes across the UK, providing them with a platform to create and showcase their work to a broad audience.”

As part of this commitment, Sky Arts will launch a series of bursaries worth £30,000 ($39,000) each, pairing leading figures from the arts world with diverse and emerging new artists on a mentoring initiative.

Although the channel is moving out from behind the paywall, Sky Arts On Demand’s library of 2,000 hours of content will remain exclusive to Sky and NOW TV customers.

Whoopee!!  ??  Actually, haven't we been complaining about how little actual arts there are on Sky Arts these days?

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, alison said:

Whoopee!!  ??  Actually, haven't we been complaining about how little actual arts there are on Sky Arts these days?

Yes, there's a reasonable amount of ballet on their equivalent of the IPlayer but the back catalogue is not being put in the free domain (I've just had an email about my NOW entertainment subscription).

19 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Janite, a while ago I think you gave a link to Sky Arts advanced programming. Could you give it again, please as I saved it as a favourite but later I couldn't get it to work. At the moment I can only get programming a week in advance and though it's not currently a problem it would be great to know a bit more in advance if we ever get round to going on holiday again.

jmhopton, There seemed to be problems with that link, here is the one I use now.

https://www.tvguide.co.uk/mobile/search.asp?title=ballet

it doesn't go as far ahead as the other link but it does seem to cover a lot of channels. 

Search and enjoy.

On 28/07/2020 at 12:46, jmhopton said:

I'm very much looking forward to being able to rename this thread :)

• Like 1

Thanks to Janite's SkyArts link I can say they are showing Northern Ballet's Puss in Boots on CBeebies Saturday 15 August at 9.30am and also Australian ballet's Coppelia Sunday 16th August at 10am. Coupled with the Australian Ballet Merry Widow mentioned above (which is the new version shown at the cinema last autumn) they are showing some ballet at last. Long may it continue!

• Like 3

On 24/07/2020 at 21:03, jmhopton said:

Me too! I thought Marianella terrific. The role could have been made for her. if only she could do it at the ROH with Vadim!

I agree Marianela was terrific in this role, and it is worth watching for her alone.   I think the partner needs to be someone more mature than Vadim, even Bonelli might be too boyish for the role, though he is super in Onegin.  Thiago Soares would have been perfect. And Ryo Hirano would be great too.  Fun to be hypothetical!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, loveclassics said:

I think I may have seen this before.   Is it in 20th century costume?

Linda

I believe that this is the ca-2014 production by current A.D. David McAllister, which was issued on commercial DVD a couple of years ago. It’s a big, luxurious traditional production (tutus & tiaras). If it’s the same film as on the DVD, it stars Lana Jones & Kevin Jackson. Amber Scott as Lilac.

• 3 weeks later...

REPEAT Giselle

Sky Arts HD.  Sky:820. Virgin:156. BT:363.   Fri 11 Sep. 7:00am-9:00am 

A peasant girl falls in love with a count, who leads her to believe that he is an ordinary villager, but her discovery of his true identity has devastating consequences. Natalia Osipova and Carlos Acosta star in Peter Wright's Royal Ballet production of Marius Petipa's classic version of the ballet, staged at the Royal Opera House

• Like 1

• alison changed the title to Dance on non-terrestrial "TV" and video
  • 10 months later...