I try to fast forward through the Sky Arts channels from time to time to set Sky+ for any upcoming ballet, but I inevitably miss out from time to time! I've just missed all but the last 2 minutes of 'Bolero'.

I was just wondering if it might be a good idea to warn eachother of anything we know that is coming up?

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually had a copy of the Radio Times for this week, and was noting the dance coverage (e.g. Pina Bausch) at the weekend and thinking perhaps I should post something about it, but then assumed that those who had Sky would know anyway, so my apologies.

If you missed the "Jerome Robbins: a Celebration" this evening, you can catch it again (assuming you're still up, that is) from 4.05 to 6 am, preceded at 3.50 am by "Nuages", which I suspect is probably ballet. Oh, and it's on again tomorrow at 5 pm.

"Pina" is repeated on Thursday 10 pm, with "Cafe Müller" at 11.50 (followed by "Nuages").

On Friday, Dutch National Ballet with "Giselle" at 11.05 pm.

That's all I've spotted, and I don't think my usual cheapy TV mag covers Sky Arts 2, so I can't go beyond that, but if anyone else wants to contribute for future weeks, then please do!

Alison I usually look ahead to see if anything dance-related is on the Arts Channels and if I spot anything amongst the endless programmes about old rock stars, I'll try to post it here. Must say though that what little dance there is is frequently repeated many times.

The Robbins programme was good - especially for the performance of The Concert - so there are occasional gems.

Linda

The ROH just tweeted a link to their news story about Tamara Rojo's Beijing project: http://www.roh.org.uk/news/tamara-rojo-fuses-east-and-west-in-new-tv-series - it mentions that you can get CNN on Sky, which I had totally forgotten about! It looks like we've missed the first two, but the second one is being shown on Friday (details in the article). I wonder if the first two will be repeated?

• 1 month later...

I see from adverts for the new series of the South Bank Show on SkyArts they are having a programme devoted to male dance. This seemed to include an interview with Baryshnikov. No idea when it's scheduled for but the series starts this Sunday at 10pm, and features Nicholas Hynter from the National Theatre. Joan

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I should have posted this earlier, so my apologies if you missed Roland Petit's Le Rendez-vous earlier this evening. It is repeated a couple of times, though, including 11.30 pm on August 1st.

Monday 30th, 10.10 pm: Passion - Last Stop Kinshasa. Les Ballets C de la B touring pitié!

On Thursday 2nd August, 4.45 pm - is Nuages ballet?

• 4 weeks later...

Here are a few more:

Saturday 25th August: 8 AM: Film: Dancing Across Borders

11 am: Roland Petit's L'Arlésienne

Sunday 26th August: 9.50 pm: Swan Lake at the Painted Hall (ENB) - NB this is only 10 minutes long

There will as usual be various repeats.

All on Sky Arts 2

It's worth noting that if you have Sky Anytime+ (don't know how widespread this is; my parents have Sky+ HD and have it) you can go to "Channels" then "Sky Arts 2" and find a load of full-length ballets on demand: RB Swan Lake, RB Bayadère, SFB The Little Mermaid and many many more! You click on them, they download to your planner and you can watch them for free! Awesome!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I noticed there were several 'new' (e.g., new to Sky Arts 2 I assume) programmes in the coming week's schedule.  One was about de Valois and her passing on of Pavola's 'dying swan', another on the preservation of the Cunningham canon and yet another 'new' (as advertised) Balanchine documentary featuring Barbara Horgan et al.  (Forgive me if notice of these has been already posted).  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Unfortunately, today's showings have already passed, but there are also quite a few transmissions this coming Wednesday:

4 pm: The Mystery of Coppélia

5 pm: Coppélia (don't know whose)

6.45 pm: George Balanchine Forever

8 pm: Jewels (Paris Opera Ballet)

Also, this Friday, 8 pm, Roland Petit's Carmen.

From next week's Radio Times & the Sky Arts website:

Dance on Sky Arts 2

Saturday 15th February           

08:00                        George Balanchine Forever

Barbara Horgan (assistant to Balanchine) discusses his work with dancers from the Paris Opera Ballet.

09:20                        Roland Petit’s L’Arlesienne, Paris Opera Ballet

Monday 17th February

06:00                        Jewels, Paris Opera Ballet

Tuesday 18th February

11:00                        George Balanchine Forever

12:15                        Nuages (Kylian), Paris Opera Ballet

Wednesday 19th February

20:00                        Bella Figura (Kylian)

20:35                        Symphony in D (Kylian), Nederlands Dance Theatre

21:10                        Men Y Men

"Male dancers from the English National Ballet perform the famous prelude to Giselle - a ballet written for female roles. Modern interpretation choreographed by Wayne Eagling".

Thursday 20th February

01:40                        Roland Petit’s Carmen, Paris Opera Ballet

11:00                        Symphony in D (Kylian), Nederlands Dance Theatre

11:35                        Roland Petit’s Carmen, Paris Opera Ballet

20:00                        Amelia, La La Human Steps

Friday 21st February

02:45                        Nuages (Kylian), Paris Opera Ballet

03:00                        Amelia, La La Human Steps

14:00                        Amelia, La La Human Steps

I'll try to keep this list updated but online information is not available very far in advance and the listings in the Radio Times are subject to change.

Linda

Edited by loveclassics
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

The published Sky Arts listings have recently been unreliable. Despite the fact that the Ashton Mixed Bill is in the Radio Times listing for Friday evening, the actual on screen guide for Sky Arts2 indicates that the Rojo/Acosta Bayadère will be broadcast instead.

I am approaching all this with a bit of caution as there seems to be a big difference between what has been announced in the Radio Times as from what is shown on the planner. Either way, I shall just press the record button and hope for the best!