• 1 month later...
  • Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a programme last week on Sky Arts about Zizi Jeanmaire and Roland Petit linked to Saint Laurent style. I learned about it too late and I don't have Sky anyway. If someone has recorded it, I will be very grateful for a chance to see this programme. 

Edited by Amelia
typo

• 2 months later...

On Sunday, 5th May at 11:30 (and repeated later in the week I think) Sky Arts is showing The Royal Ballet Sleeping Beauty - billed as new but no indication of casting on my sky box.  On the same day Matthew Bourne's The Car Man at 4pm and Northern Ballet's Casanova on Monday 6th May. 

On 04/05/2019 at 17:41, mimi'smom said:

On Sunday, 5th May at 11:30 (and repeated later in the week I think) Sky Arts is showing The Royal Ballet Sleeping Beauty - billed as new but no indication of casting on my sky box.  On the same day Matthew Bourne's The Car Man at 4pm and Northern Ballet's Casanova on Monday 6th May. 

2017 live screening performance Nunez and Muntagirov with a supporting cast to die for.

• Like 1

Thank you for alerting us. I wonder if Sky Arts has struck a new deal - it used to regularly broadcast the ‘live’ screening performances about a year later, and we have had two ‘new’ RB productions in fairly quick succession after a long, period of repeats.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Thalia said:

More from the Royal Ballet next Sunday, too!

Sun 19 May 12.45pm - Ashton Triple Bill. The Dream, Symphonic Variations and Marguerite & Armand. 

Presumably these are the same performances as on the DVD? (which I have !)

You can get Sky Arts with a Nowtv box and Entertainment Pass. Full price for the pass is 7.99 a month and you can cancel anytime. New customer offers are always around, currently I have seen a 6 month pass for about £24. The box itself is tiny and inexpensive. I got mine when my Sony tv stopped supporting Iplayer.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GailR said:

I got mine when my Sony tv stopped supporting Iplayer.

I got mine when they first came out.  It was one of the best £10s I ever spent.  I upgraded recently to a "stick" - the £20 included a 2-month entertainment pass.  I bought it in Curry's and the young man who made the sale told me that they often have offers on the vouchers so he tends to stock up when they are on offer.

Apologies for being a bit late posting this but I see SkyArts are showing the 2017 Ashton triple The Dream, Symphonic Variations and Marguerite and Armand (Yanovsky's farewell performance) today at 12.45pm. I know it's been available on dvd for a while but it's 'New' to SkyArts so presumably hasn't been shown there before. It is followed by a programme called Why Do We Dance? 3pm to 4.15 (no details given) The latter may be part of a series as there is another programme of the same name on Tuesday 21st May at 9pm; this one headed New, and presented by Akram Khan who 'examines how dance is often used to feel a sense of unity and to find solace and refuge'.

• Like 2

The Khan programme is 4 of 6. Been good so far as it determines why people of all nations and religions feel the need to express themselves in dance. Don’t worry if you have missed the earlier programmes they are all available in catch up but be advised that one of the episodes does contain male and female nudity which some may find offensive.

Sky Arts is definitely ‘upping its game ‘. Three new to air and fairly recent performances from the ROH plus  a new dance documentary series and the Osipova documentary to come. Does anyone know the reason for this apparent rediscovery of part of their original brief?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Sky Arts is definitely ‘upping its game ‘. Three new to air and fairly recent performances from the ROH plus  a new dance documentary series and the Osipova documentary to come. Does anyone know the reason for this apparent rediscovery of part of their original brief?

they've run out of Andre Rieu to show (for the umpteenth time)?   🙂

• Like 8

I see that today sky arts broadcasting the Bolshoi’s Spartacus, with Carlos Acosta. Have to say that it must be a spectacular show, as the photo shows Spartacus riding a live horse, and have to say that Carlos looking remarkably like Kirk Douglas!! Lol

• Like 8

The Nureyev doc is on Tuesday evening from 10.15-12.25am so quite a long one. 

• This striking and moving documentary from BAFTA nominated directors Jacqui and David Morris traces the extraordinary life of Rudolf Nureyev. From his birth in the 5th class carriage of a trans-Siberian train, to his dramatic leap to freedom in the West at the height of the Cold War, and unprecedented adulation as the most famous dancer in the world. The film highlights Nureyev's unlikely yet legendary partnership with Margot Fonteyn and charts his meteoric rise to the status of global cultural phenomenon. Nureyev's life plays out like the sweeping plot of a classic Russian novel. His story is Russia's story. Blending never-before-seen footage, with an original score by award-winning composer Alex Baranowski and spellbinding newly choreographed dance tableaux directed by Royal Ballet alumnus, Russell Maliphant, Nureyev is a theatrical and cinematic experience like no other. This is a portrayal as unique as the man himself. There will never be another Nureyev.

It follows another in the Akram Khan series at 9pm Why do we Dance, focusing on the tango.

The Bolshoi Spartacus starring Carlos is repeated Thursday 30th May at the more usual SkyArts ballet time of 6.35am.

Odyssey is definately right. SkyArts are showing a lot more ballet and opera than they used to. They've shown more in the last few weeks than they've shown in about the last 6 months.Long may it continue though it's a pity the BBC can't make more of a effort. I suppose it's too much to hope for that one of the reasons the Fonteyn programme is being kept secret is because it's being filmed?  That's probably just wishful thinking but hers is the only ballerinas name (apart from Darcey Bussell) that most people not interested in ballet will know. It would at least partly compensate for the very lukewarm ROH 'celebrations' of our only prima ballerina assoluta.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

SkyArts next week 

Tuesday 18th

10pm until 11pm Natalia:a force of nature. NEW

11pm-12.30 Osipova at sadlers Wells (repeat) 

Wednesday 19th 

7am Australia Ballet Cinderella NEW (first showing this morning but I missed it.) 

Friday 21st 

6am Natalia at Sadlers Wells 

7pm Natalia: a force of nature. Repeat 

• Like 1

• alison changed the title to Dance on non-terrestrial "TV" and video