@maryrosesatonapin  Because it is a dream, as I understand it,  Siegfried sees the character of tutor in rothbart and vice versa. Nureyev was fond of psychological interpretation of character and creating dualities like this. They embody familiar /unfamiliar, love/hate, attraction/repulsion, trust/fear. Hence the confusion in Siegfied's mind in the dream  as he grapples with his feelings in the passionate duets for the two. I know what you mean about the 'almost a gay love frisson" but I don't think that was part of the intent. Nureyev always like to push boundaries though.

• Like 1

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@maryrosesatonapin I think that Nureyev's 'white box' production is one of his most successful.  It is not - like many others of his oeuvre - entirely crammed full with (too many) steps; it has some air.  I remember hearing Tamara Rojo saying that the only way she got through Swan Lake was to look at it as a 'male fantasy'.   This encapsulates her core philosophy.  In that fashion the streamlining worked - at least for me.  I adore Louvet.  Whenever I see him I am always intrigued and delighted by his port de bras.  The artistry of his hands is a performance in and of itself.  The Tutor/von Rothbart creation takes someone with mesmeric skill.  Alu has that in spades - and he is, himself, such a fine dancer.  He would have made/will make such a fine lead in Mayerling.  (I say 'would have' as I have a feeling the POB - [Paris Opera Ballet] - may well not be going through with their debut of the MacMillan as planned given the current global situation.)  I too don't think the male bonding in this production is meant to be homoerotic.  Von Rothbart is a magician ... and you see his magic work with all of his charges.  Certainly Alu enchants with mythic clairvoyance that - from my perspective - does not discriminate. 

I vividly remember the first times I saw this production.  It was in NYC during those years when the POB and so many major companies would make regular visits there.  Certainly the RB (Royal Ballet) used to come every second year it seemed.  How I remember the cheers that greeted this particular outing.  Legris - such a great artist - was Seigfried; the master choreographer himself (Nureyev) - mesmeric in the extreme - was the Tudor/von Rothbart and a teenage Guillem - who just the night before had thrilled the capacity Met audience in the [then] brand new Somewhere in the Middle Elevated - was Odette/Odile.  One just had to ensure that you had standing room for ALL of those performances.  They were events in and of themselves.  The memory blazes even now.  It was then - as it certainly is now - a different world. 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 5

On 01/04/2020 at 20:46, maryrosesatonapin said:

What I felt was almost a gay love frisson between Siegfried and the tutor - there were some gorgeous duets for the two of them but far removed from the original.

I felt the same with the two previous recordings with Letestu/Martinez/Pacquet and Ganio/Albisson/Alu (who is also Rothbart in this recent version, I believe?). The homerotic tension was unmistakeable.
The impression I had was that what was at stake, and what was lost at the end, was not Odette's freedom but Siegfried's belief that he could find love with a woman. Didn't Rothbart mock Siegfried's ability to tell one female from another with Odile?

But I've not seen this production live or this recent performance with Louvet, so it'd be interesting to see if I still think the same when I have.

Edited by saki
  • Like 1

Since there has been discussion on this strand about Francois Alu of the POB (Paris Opera Ballet)  - and believing this fine artist has yet physically to appear in the UK - I thought you might be interested to see this containment video he has made.  The wit of his extraordinary magic is on full display ... at least it was for me.  (As I have said he is one of my favourite POB dancers.)  Enjoy.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

The wit of his extraordinary magic is on full display ... at least it was for me.  (As I have said he is one of my favourite POB dancers.)  Enjoy.  

Thanks for this 😅. He's the POB dancer I've most wanted to see live.

• Like 1

I've just watched the Paris Opera 'Swan Lake' - Nureyev version.  Any opinions?

I also saw the POB on the website (https://www.operadeparis.fr/en/magazine/swan-lake-replay only available for rest of today I think!) with Léonore Baulac, Germain Louvet leading. Great to see some reactions/opinions to this. 

Of course it's absolutely exquisite, and the dancers are simply out of this world. I've recently seen Birmingham Royal Ballet's version live last month, and previous to that a punchy 'cheap and cheerful' Russian touring company in Jan (Russian State Ballet of Siberia). The POB version was the most conceptual and subtle of all of these I'd say. And actually my first reaction was that it was TOO conceptual and subtle. It might just have been my mood, but I was wanting a really dramatic stirring experience, instead of this languidly exquisite and elegant dreamy idea of Swan Lake. It was funny to read in the thread of someone's view of the costumes as 'drab'. I must admit the pastel lilac, blue, magenta I found such a contrast to the resplendent and strikingly difference costumes of BRB version for the national dances. However fine the design and tailoring of the POB production, it dampened the dramatic effect of those national dances. 

I must admit I fell asleep (!) and missed the final act (and haven't watched it yet) which I hear from a few sources is the best one. Perhaps, for me, this is a Swan Lake for another mood or time, to properly appreciate it's qualities.  

• Like 1

One which didn't get mentioned, and unfortunately is apparently only available until 5 pm today UK time:

8 hours ago, stucha said:

@Dawnstar. Here's a chance to compare the Royal Ballet Sleeping Beauty with the old Mariinsky version from 1952.  Live streamed recently on their Youtube channel with Alina Somova, Vladimir Shklyarov, Kristina Shapran as the Lilac Fairy and Oxana Skorik as Princess Florine.

I'm not sure how long it will be available for viewing.

16 hours ago, alison said:

One which didn't get mentioned, and unfortunately is apparently only available until 5 pm today UK time:

If you missed it and really want to see it, It can still be found on YouTube by typing the details into the search field.

Edited by stucha
  • Like 1

Metamorphosis

Royal Ballet's Edward Watson gives an Olivier Award winning performance in the the ROH's sell out 2013 show
Friday 17th, Sky Arts, 6.55am - 8.30am.

In case you want to record it.

Edited by Janite

Rob & Romesh vs Ballet

Sky One HD  Sky:806  Virgin:109 BT:355  Tue 5 May  9:00pm-10:00pm (1 hour)

Comedians Rob Beckett and Romesh Ranganathan team up again, beginning by going behind the scenes at Birmingham Royal Ballet Company. They are put through their paces, meet creative director Carlos Acosta and are given roles in a real performance of Swan Lake. 

Note: Sky One not Sky Arts

Edited by Janite
  • Like 4

5 jours

The National Centre for Dance Therapy - Grand Ballets Canadiens de Montreal gives French dancer Abou Lagraa and nineteen girls from the Calixa-Lavallee school in Montreal five days to present an original choreography based on the Stabat Mater by Pergolesi. 

Documentary

Wednesday 6th May on TV5 Europe from 11:31am to 12:30pm

https://europe.tv5monde.com/en/tv-guide/documentaries/5-jours-261477

Cinderella -  repeat

An Australian Ballet production of Prokofiev's classic work based on the fairy tale, choreographed by Alexei Ratmansky

Sky Arts HD  Sky:820  Virgin:156  BT:363

Sun 10 May   10:00am-12:00pm

A "NOW" stick or box will give you access to Sky Arts if you buy an entertainment pass.  (You need HDMI connectivity on your TV).

These days a Now stick, including a one month pass for entertainment and one month for films costs around £30.  It's a great way of turning an ordinary TV into a smart TV.  Once your free month is up an entertainment pass is £8.99 for one month (but sometimes Curry's have them in their sale and you can stock up).  With the entertainment pass you get about 10 sky channels including Sky Arts as well as all sorts of streamed box sets.

You don't need to pay for a pass to get the iPlayer and other terrestrial tv catchup facilities.  You can also watch You Tube and Vimeo and can subscribe to Netflix if you want.

I got mine when they first came out and it was the best £10 I had spent in years.  I upgraded to a stick about 2 years ago.

I don't have any connection to NOW or Sky but I am a big fan of the facilities it offers at comparatively small cost;

https://www.johnlewis.com/now-tv-smart-stick-with-hd-voice-search-1-month-entertainment-1-month-sky-cinema-1-day-sports-passes/p4107264?searchTerm=now+tv

• Like 1

"Rob & Romesh vs Ballet

Comedians Rob Beckett and Romesh Ranganathan team up again, beginning by going behind the scenes at Birmingham Royal Ballet Company. They are put through their paces, meet creative director Carlos Acosta and are given roles in a real performance of Swan Lake."

Tuesday 5th May - 9pm - Sky 1

https://entertainment.ie/tv-highlights/rob-romesh-vs-451028/

• Like 1

REPEAT Giselle

A peasant girl falls in love with a count, who leads her to believe that he is an ordinary villager, but her discovery of his true identity has devastating consequences. Natalia Osipova and Carlos Acosta star in Peter Wright's Royal Ballet production of Marius Petipa's classic version of the ballet, staged at the Royal Opera HouseSky Arts HD   Sky:820 Virgin:156 BT:363

Wed 13 May
7:00am-9:00am (2 hours)

I recently received a recommendation to Marquee TV and I’m very impressed after watching two Royal Ballet productions. 

The filming is very good, you see the stage as though you’re in the middle of the stalls, close ups are well handled and the focus and the editing is excellent.

The other feature I enjoy is that the productions that I’ve watched so far are recent and the casts are, largely, the current company.

Of course, the older filmed productions are very nice, particularly for a trip down memory lane, and I recognise old favourite dancers from my fairly regular ROH visits over the last twenty years but as a balletgoer averaging about four visits a month I’m suffering from withdrawal and find it more entertaining to watch, for example, the recent Hirano/Cuthbertson WT than the otherwise excellent, but considerably older Watson/Cuthbertson version, shown last Friday. 

I haven’t yet fully explored this streaming service but the range of ballet company productions from both the UK and abroad, as well as the theatre productions it offers could keep me entertained for a much longer lockdown. 

(I should say, having read what I have written, which could be mistaken for some sort of press release, that I have absolutely no connection with Marquee TV and am currently enjoying my free trial, having committed to a monthly subscription.)

2 hours ago, alison said:

Presumably the Royal Ballet showings are only those which were broadcast in the cinemas earlier, though?

Yes, quite possibly but the difference for me is that they are available now and online without my having to buy the dvd, at about £20 each, as and when it’s for sale and, with a terminable rental of about £9.00 per month for all of them. 

But, I’m not advising anyone else doing what I’ve done, merely pointing out that it’s there and on a free trial offer. 

• Coppelia

Ballet. A stunning performance of the family-friendly ballet, Coppelia, that tells the story of two young lovers exploring a magically mysterious workshop filled with mechanical dolls. Ako Kondo and Andrew Killian perform in the leading roles. (Australian Ballet I assume?)

• Sunday 17th May on Sky Arts from 10:00am to 12:00pm

Edited by Janite

On 03/05/2020 at 21:23, Jan McNulty said:

"Rob & Romesh vs Ballet

Comedians Rob Beckett and Romesh Ranganathan team up again, beginning by going behind the scenes at Birmingham Royal Ballet Company. They are put through their paces, meet creative director Carlos Acosta and are given roles in a real performance of Swan Lake."

Tuesday 5th May - 9pm - Sky 1

https://entertainment.ie/tv-highlights/rob-romesh-vs-451028/

I’m really annoyed at not being able to see this as my husband refuses to pay for Sky TV. There’s little enough of BRB to watch at present (plenty else to watch elsewhere luckily). Please report what it was like .

Edited by Pulcinella
  • Like 1

Hello Pulcinella,

Well my main enjoyment from this programme was seeing a lot of our BRB favourites on screen in class and in performance.  It was based around a performance of Swan Lake in Southampton in January.  The pair watched the performance the night before (some clips of Celine and Tyrone) and "danced" in Miki and Lachlan's cast.

Some of the humour was a bit crass and, of course, it was mainly about Rob and Romesh.  There was a huge laugh out loud moment when, after "taking class & rehearsal" (with help from Lachlan, Maureya, Max and Beatrice), they were persuaded to take an ice bath by Tyrone.  Their reaction when they were finally persuaded to get in and the look on Tyrone's face was worth watching on its own.

At the end of the programme I think we may have seen two ballet fans in the making!

• Like 4

My husband, not a ballet fan,  watched it with me and thought it was a good programme. I imagine it's more for non ballet rather than ballet people and to me that's good and will hopefully encourage people to give ballet a go. Though I enjoyed it too.

• Like 3