Ideas for character dance

Lemongirl

Dd (12) needs a new character solo and we're trying to think of ideas.  She finds it hard to do happy so a sad or more serious character is needed.  Needs to last her a few years too.

Thought about Anne Frank but there's a girl in her age group doing that.

Any ideas?

When you say character does she have to be.....a character.....or do you mean character as in Russian, Spanish , dances etc.

There's a lovely rather sad Russian dance to lovely music....and as soon as my memory gets working I may be able to tell you the name of it!! I think it is originally from a ballet or from their Folk company but you could sort of make up your own dance to it......assuming it has to be original??

LinMM - I presume it's for a festival solo so character dances are acting out a story or showing a "character" through the dance. It's meant to be classical technique (although we see quite a few that are modern which can cause problems for adjudicators!). Best not to choose music from classical rep.

Sorry I'm not much good with suggestions (which is why dd never did a character solo - I'm not good with this sort of thing)

Am I right in thinking that you can also do a "demi-character" in the character section? (a normal classical dance with a prop)

The music I was thinking of is from Swan Lake .....the Russian dance!!

Ive just posted this on going back to ballet thread because of a sort of discussion ongoing there about suitable dances for Adults to have a go at!! That will give you the music anyway.....starts of very slow then gets faster so could develop a character within this ..........

That is if you can use ballet music but looks like you may not be able to.

I haven't seen Lady Of Shallot for years, I did it at about 13 borrowed a book from the library with the poem so I could understand the character, also Ophelia or Lady Macbeth. Princess and the seven swans. Jayne Eyre has many story lines, Jayne Eyre in the Red Room. Anything to do with ghosts stories. Anastasia. Medussa.

Does it have to be a well known character from Fiction as such or does it just have to be.....a character....telling a story.

Ive got some ideas for that Russian Music......starting from sorrowful and leading to joyful ness but also of course have no idea how long it has to be!!

Someone suggested Little Match girl and there is some music on the chariots of fire film music CD ...it may be called "snow" but would need to check.....sorry....which could be suitable for this character.

The track is called Abrahams theme.

I used it many years ago as part of a science project to show melting/ and freezing!! (Hence the link with snow!!) as part of linking Dance with the curriculum!!

It could work for Little Match girl!

However it's better that people who've had their DC's actually do these character solos advise!

• Like 1

My 14 year old has sometimes done character dances at festivals. At that the last festival the winning dance was Roberta from the Railway children which was sad. We've also seen people doing dances as evacuees. Also seen people portray birds and animals. Don't know if any of that helps!

• Like 1

Hi,

my daughter has been doing Arabian Princess this year. Not a huge storyline, but definitely a strong character. I didn't think the adjudicators would like it because there isn't a strong change of mood, but it has gone well. She did the Arabian Coffee solo in the Nutcracker last year and everyone enjoyed it, plus we had access to a costume, so her teacher used different music and changed the choreography.

Her other one is Coppelia Comes to Life - lots more scope for acting in that one, not sad, but it isn't a real happy one either.

Good luck!

Thank you for all the suggestions.

She's already doing a Jayne Eyre character duet!

I did think about something classic like Little Women or the Secret Garden but I've seen these done often at festivals.

Dd thinks something about WW2 might appeal - maybe an evacuee as Lilac suggested....

For some reason when I was 8 or 9 years old, I was Bluebeard's Eighth Wife!   Totally unsuitable I would have thought, but I loved it.  I remember I had an enormous silver key and I think I had to open the door at the end revealing all the previous dead wives, or something like that!   Blood and doom and gloom for babies!  I always loved demi-character dances and emoted for dear life.  Wonderful grounding for my professional career as a character artist in later life.

• Like 1