EYB rehearsal/LCB audition clash

Lemongirl

Dd is just about to start rehearsals for EYB in Wimbledon.

We've applied for her to audition for LCB and her audition time clashes with an EYB rehearsal.  She would probably have to miss the first 3 hours of a 6 hour rehearsal period.

I know attendance is really important but do you think they would allow her to attend the audition?

Could you perhaps ask LCB if there is an alternative date she could do the audition? If not I would ask EYB if they would allow her to miss the rehearsal. If they said no I would accept that I think as a commitment has been made. I should think they'll try to be flexible if they can though.

• Like 2

LCB will say that they must come first, and that other schools understand. My dd couldn't audition for them last year as her audition date clashed with her local dance school's show, in which she was performing a solo plus 4 group dances. This year - her last chance to audition - she is away on school journey. LCB cannot and will not offer alternative dates for audition.

I would ask Miss Lewis if your dd could miss a couple of hours of rehearsal. Some dates are more vital than others (e.g. final run through, run through for parents, all theatre rehearsals) but for non vital dates, given enough notice, Miss Lewis is very good about reaching a compromise on one-off occasions. She is, of course, justifiably insistent on committing oneself.

If the worst comes to the worst, hopefully LCB will run their wonderful Performance Summer School next summer! :-)

When my daughter did EYB (a while ago now) I panicked as she had a dance exam in the middle of a Sunday rehearsal. I felt I had signed to say she would be present for all rehearsals and didn't know what to do. In reality it was fine. I apologised to Miss Lewis, assured her I would get her back as soon as possible and was told this was fine. I later heard of others with main roles missing several whole rehearsals for one reason or another. When my younger daughter was offered a place she had exam rehearsals for several days meaning she would miss the start of 2/3 rehearsals. Again I asked if she should not commit to taking part and was told it was fine. I would email Miss Lewis asap with your valid reason and apology and say your daughter will make sure she learns anything missed from one of the others. I think as the show gets nearer and she gets.more excuses each week she understandably loses patience as it is difficult to rehearse without a full cast. Unfortunately, its the committed students and parents that stress and the others who take absences for poor reasons who don't let it bother them! Hope this helps.

I don't know either company, and certainly understand your trepidation, but as a manager/teacher I know I would appreciate good communication from my students/employees/parents, as far in advance as possible, and in a pleasant manner, of course. I think managers/teachers get good at knowing who is trying to wiggle out of things and who is serious and generally like happy people working for them so will do their best if they are given good attendance the rest of the time. If there is no way she will allow it, sometimes I just accept that is fate deciding.

Good luck - I hope it works out and there is no disappointment xx

Many many years ago now when dd first did EYB she had to miss one rehearsal through genuine illness (sickness bug). We obviously let them know and they were understanding but at the next rehearsal it turned out there had been a lot of 'illness' the previous week which apparently was also NYB auditions. Many fellow students asked if thats where dd had been but she didn't even know what they were talking about (she was only 8 at the time!). Ballet is such a small world I would just be up front and honest and ask but I can imagine several people may be in the same situation and could understand Miss Lewis not wanting to set a precedent by saying yes to one and then finding herself with a lot missing. Familarising herself with what was missed from another child is ok but it is very hard to understand spacing/formations unless all dancers are present. For example one child might need to remember that they stand between a and b and then at the next rehearsal there is an extra person in that space. I know it is exteremly frustrating for teachers to hear from parents 'Oh it won't matter if my child misses a rehearsal she knows what she is doing/picks things up very quickly' with a complete lack of understanding of the impact of absence on the rest of the group.