ENBS vs Elmhurst

Living the Dream

My daughter decided to stay with Elmhurst instead of ENB but it was a very hard decision at the time and I guess you will never know whether you made the right decision unless you experience both schools! She is thriving at Elmhurst and the links with BRB are great, providing opportunities second to none. they all seemed to love Mr Parker and he certainly seems to be further develop the established links with BRB. Yes the ratio of girls to boys is not ideal when it comes to pas de deux but they seem to manage. She wants to be a classical dancer but the diversity offered at Elmhurst (contemporary, flamenco, tap, jazz etc) can only in my mind be a good thing. The option of A levels was very important to her as she is all to aware that an injury or something else could prevent her from a career in classical dance. Yes it is hard work to balance academics with dance training but for some, like my daughter, it keeps their hand in and provides another string to their bow. Every child is different. Although my daughter has been boarding since 11 and is very independent, the ability to stay in a boarding house overseen by the school was important as it provided a stepping stone to doing it alone- remember some students are only just 16. If you find yourself in the fortunate position of being able to choose schools, there are many things to way up including the above but maybe things such as distance from home, (possibly important if they want to come home due to illness etc). Generally I do feel you have to go with 'gut' feeling remembering that if they are good enough they will flourish at both Elmhurst, ENB etc. There is no perfect school but once you have made your decision, don't waste time saying what if or analysing how it might have been somewhere else. You can always audition for another school another year, particularly the graduate year.

• Like 4

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks FC, that sounds great and glad your DD is happy with her training. Just a further question....are all the girls expecting to follow a career in classical ballet or does the school try to play to different strengths in the way that it seems that Central does? e.g. do some focus more on contemporary or jazz for example?

All the students at Elmhurst are being trained to be classical dancers - the other dance styles are complementary to that. However, they are helped in the graduate year to look at their strengths and some do then "change direction" to perhaps contemporary or musical theatre.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

My daughter is currently in year 11 at Elmhurst and decided not to audition for ENBS even though all her friends were auditioning. She really loves Elmhurst and felt the proximity of the sixth form accomodation plus the onsite restaurant were very positive benefits. She has spent a lot of time at ENBS when she did NYB rehearsals and just didnt like the facilities - this is obviously a personal choice, not a comment on ENBS. Plus she has great faith in Robert Parker as he really wants to strengthen the link with BRB and is a great inspiration to the students. Elmhurst are building a new accomodation block for both 6.1 and 6.2 next year and it is just across the road from the school. She is very excited about going into sixth form in September and looking forward to the many opportunities to dance with BRB. I would say she has been very lucky to be offered many opportunities to perform during her five years at lower school - in year 7 she went on a 2 week tour with the company, she was chosen to do the filming for the RAD Int Found DVD, performed at MoveIt and YBDY among other things. Also we found that unlike WL they dont mind their students doing external activities such as ChallengeGenee and NYB which she loved doing.

Only a few of her friends are staying at Elmhurst for sixth form so we would be really keen to hear from anyone who is joining 6.1 in September?

• Like 3

Hi Pointytoes22. My DD loves living in the all girls hostel and all but 2 of the girls in her year are staying there, as after I had reserved her a place, they seemed to co-ordinate this over Facebook, where they all got to know each other before starting in September. It's a really old building, but very clean and well equiped and in a fantastic location and has 24 hours security. Just last night, they were watching the 007 Bond Premiere Red Carpet event from outside their front door and then their bedroom windows as they are next door to The Royal Albert Hall. My DD fortunately knew girls already at ENBS moving into their 3rd year and asked where they lived and for advice and the majority of them are staying at this hostel too, so we knew before she went there that it must be ok if girls aged 18/19, still wanted to live there. It's seems like a boarding school atmosphere, as the hostel puts all the ENBS girls on the same floor. They all travel to school together, even the older girls and all look after each other. My DD was nervous about having to do her own washing, but they all club together and help each other out. It seems like one big family, which for me as a parent is very reassuring.

I am not sure if your parents are aware that there are not many sixth forms that have boarding facilities, only RBS (where the 1st year house is not in a very nice location and a long and cramped tube journey into Covent Garden, however the 2nd and 3rd year lodgings are in Covent Garden) and Elmhurst only board you for the first year, then you have to find your own flat. I suggest to really do your research with your parents and seek advice from as many people as you can, especially on here and also call the schools. They are all very helpful.

I hope this helps you and good luck.

LTD :)

Hi, Living The Dream

My DD is looking at 2014 entry, but I'm thinking it's just as well to think about accommodation, costs etc and the funding nightmare before applying. May even contact ENBS after they have sorted  this years entries for advice. Would you tell me which hostel this is and how much it costs. the idea of all the girls been together sounds perfect x

Hi, Living The Dream

My DD is looking at 2014 entry, but I'm thinking it's just as well to think about accommodation, costs etc and the funding nightmare before applying. May even contact ENBS after they have sorted  this years entries for advice. Would you tell me which hostel this is and how much it costs. the idea of all the girls been together sounds perfect x

Hi Jazzpaws, I will send you a PM with the details.

• Like 1

LTD could I be cheeky and ask for the details also :unsure: The sound of the girls all living and traveling together sounds very reassuring.

My Dd will start her audition journey in September and just wish there was some kind of list that just gave the plain basic's in a tick list format so I knew what school's gave what degree at the end, taught A levels, had accomodation that wouldn't need winning the lottery and on and on :wacko:

I have to start now as i'm dyslexic and the pages and pages of words make no sense to me and are already making my head boggle and I really don't want to let my Dd down and miss the "boat". :( I seem to only get told things when dead-lines have passed,  so i'm determind to be prepared as much as I can.

x

• Like 1

LTD could I be cheeky and ask for the details also :unsure: The sound of the girls all living and traveling together sounds very reassuring.

My Dd will start her audition journey in September and just wish there was some kind of list that just gave the plain basic's in a tick list format so I knew what school's gave what degree at the end, taught A levels, had accomodation that wouldn't need winning the lottery and on and on :wacko:

I have to start now as i'm dyslexic and the pages and pages of words make no sense to me and are already making my head boggle and I really don't want to let my Dd down and miss the "boat". :( I seem to only get told things when dead-lines have passed,  so i'm determind to be prepared as much as I can.

x

Hi sugarplumsmum.  No problem at all, I will PM you the details too.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum, who will help you with information regarding sixth forms.  Here is what I can remember from the schools we auditioned for.  I'm sure others will correct me if the information is incorrect:

ENBS - no A levels, but you can home study. They study for the Trinity Diploma in Professional Dance.  After 2 years they achieve Level 5, after 3 years they achieve Level 6.

RBS - 1 A level, no Diploma

Elmhurst - Diploma and 2 (I think) A levels

Central - Diploma plus A levels studies during the evening

LTD

• Like 2

For central it is a full BA honours degree after the third year first two years it is a foundation degree. At central you can study for A levels in the evenings if there are enough students interested in that Sennett such as maths.

For central it is a full BA honours degree after the third year first two years it is a foundation degree. At central you can study for A levels in the evenings if there are enough students interested in that Sennett such as maths.

Tulip your description, sound much better than mine regarding the Diploma's.  Level 5 = Foundation Degree and Level 6 = Full BA honours degree.  This is the same at all vocational schools who study the Diploma.

We were looking at Elmhurst for a couple of my students - trouble is that the A levels on offer are English , french and Art , and these guys would be looking to do science and maths . Wonder if there is any change , according to the demands of the year group ? I guess not . Tring do A levels though , and I notice noone has mentioned Hammond.

We were looking at Elmhurst for a couple of my students - trouble is that the A levels on offer are English , french and Art , and these guys would be looking to do science and maths . Wonder if there is any change , according to the demands of the year group ? I guess not . Tring do A levels though , and I notice noone has mentioned Hammond.

Yes Tring has a wide choice of A levels.

DS ended up with three and also his diploma which can, as explained above be converted to a degree later on should he wish.

I will also add that the dance teachers are wonderful, I had no complaints about the quality of teaching there.

DS is now a professional Ballet dancer as are several others who were in the same set as him when he was there.

I don't know about Hammond other than a very happy ex student in the 6th form! (its getting on to 30 years since I was there!)

• Like 1

Hi, regarding the question on A level options at Elmhurst I checked this with my daughter and they are offered a choice of English, Maths, Art, Dance and Business studies. French is only offered if there is sufficient demand. The academic department are very accomodating as my daughter wanted to do Law GCSE by herself (self study) and they said she could do this and they would enter her for the exam.