ENBS vs Elmhurst

Living the Dream

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a tricky question to answer as few people have experienced both - although I know a couple of students at Elmhurst who went to ENBS and came back again who might be able to comment. From a personal point of view, my son chose to stay at Elmhurst for upper school rather than go to ENBS (despite the temptation of being nearer home and in London where lots of his non-Elmhurst friends are) as he was so happy where he was, a small class of boys, great teachers and Desmond Kelly in charge!

With such knowledgable people on this forum, I would like to ask your advice and opinions on the training offered by English National Ballet School vs Elmhurst Upper School.

Hello - has you dd/ds been offered places at both? Where does he/she dance st the moment ? Lil

Thank you for your help in anticipation.

Living the Dream

Hi Lildancer96, yes my DD has been offered places at both schools. She's at full time vocational school at the moment and has been there for 5 years (since Year 7).

I didn't think Elmhurst letters were out yet!

Good luck to your DD with her decision. I'm sure in terms of training it must be a win win situation. I'm guessing this one will be done to her gut feeling of which suits her as obviously the schools are very different in atmopshere and location and the acommodation too. A huge well done to her for having this decision to make in the first place.

Good luck to your DD with her decision. I'm sure in terms of training it must be a win win situation. I'm guessing this one will be done to her gut feeling of which suits her as obviously the schools are very different in atmopshere and location and the acommodation too. A huge well done to her for having this decision to make in the first place.

Thank you 2dancersmum. I think you are right, she will know what is right for her, although as a parent my concern is accomodation. ENBS it's hostels or flats and Elmhurst it's boarding house for first year, but really all she wants to know is which will be best for her training.

That has been my concern with some of my DD's applications this year too. She didn't apply for ENBS but we are familiar with the school and building. At least your DD has been living away from home to know how she copes with that aspect. Really it is more of how independent she wishes to be. Elmhurst may be a boarding house but I believe they can still get meals at the school (I think?) whereas ENBS she has to be more self sufficient. Good luck.

• Like 1

Oh we're a nosey and opinionated lot! No chance of no response! LOL. And we love to hear about people's successes.

Seriously though, congratulations to your dd. I think you could look at employment rates for female graduates as an indicator, but I wouldn't use that as your sole deciding factor because both are top schools, and what is most important is whether the school suits your dd. Personally I'm a great believer in gut feel on this kind of thing!

• Like 6

Oh we're a nosey and opinionated lot! No chance of no response! LOL. And we love to hear about people's successes.

Seriously though, congratulations to your dd. I think you could look at employment rates for female graduates as an indicator, but I wouldn't use that as your sole deciding factor because both are top schools, and what is most important is whether the school suits your dd. Personally I'm a great believer in gut feel on this kind of thing!

Thank you glowlight and your have just put a smile on my face and also good idea to look at employment rates, I will be looking at these tomorrow. Off to fetch my footballing son now LOL.

One of the things which we liked about. Elmhurst was that they can still get all of their meals at school as parent of ds who would live on junk this was a plus. ENBS was our last choice of schools just didn't feel right. At Elmhurst he has thrived and loves it. But for girls they do seem to be doing something right, Ruth Brill just getting BRB and can't think of the other girls name but doing well in ENB company. ENBS just felt very small not enough students

• Like 1

Gut feeling, definitely. But personally I would start by looking at graduate employment. :-)