Royal Ballet Romeo & Juliet, October 2013

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I was lucky enough to see Marianela and Thiago dancing last night. What an emotional experience - I kept forgetting to breathe.

The evening was spoiled only by the tall, stockily built man in front of me who insisted on fidgeting and leaning from side to side to see better, blocking my view for almost all of Act 1, which upset me greatly. His excuse was that the (small) lady immediately in front of him in the front row was doing the same thing to him (which she wasn't). I did politely say to him that this is a problem in the stalls but that he was moving and bobbing so much that all I was seeing was the back of his head. He was better in Act 2 but I was so upset at missing so much of Act 1. :-(

On the upside, terrific dancing and an epic death by Eric Underwood as Tybalt.

Well, I was lucky enough to see Marianela and Thiago dancing last night. What an emotional experience - I kept forgetting to breathe.

The evening was spoiled only by the tall, stockily built man in front of me who insisted on fidgeting and leaning from side to side to see better, blocking my view for almost all of Act 1, which upset me greatly. His excuse was that the (small) lady immediately in front of him in the front row was doing the same thing to him (which she wasn't). I did politely say to him that this is a problem in the stalls but that he was moving and bobbing so much that all I was seeing was the back of his head. He was better in Act 2 but I was so upset at missing so much of Act 1. :-(

On the upside, terrific dancing and an epic death by Eric Underwood as Tybalt.

I saw them last Friday and was also very moved by the performances of Nunez and Soares.  I thought Act 1 started rather slowly and that Soares in particular was dancing rather carefully but there were some terrific performances thereafter.

I sympathise spannerandpony,  My evening was also somewhat spoilt by other members of the audience.  I had a front row seat in the balcony so no one in front of me but there was a boy of about eight to my left who fidgeted a lot and kept on whispering  to his mother, the lady on my right 'overflowed' on to my seat and the couple behind me laughed in the most odd places as well as talking during the performance.  The other thing which bothered me was the number of large shopping bags which were brought into the auditorium.  No one seemed to have their bags searched and of course they were all dumped on the floor which made getting in and out of seats difficult.  There is an excellent free cloakroom at ROH.  Surely people should be 'encouraged' to leave their shopping there 

I wasn't going to post about this as it is a mixture of performance and audience behaviour and I also sound very grumpy which I don't think I am really.  It was however very disappointing to have what should have been a wonderful evening spoilt by others in the audience  

• Like 4

I saw Marianela and Thiago last night in company with 2 of my friends, one of whom was in tears at the end with the emotion of the experience. It was her first R&J. 

I've seen R&J many times but for me, it was goose bumps early in act 1 with the ballroom scene.  The electricity of their first encounters - just looking at each other - was phenomenal.

In terms of partnering, they are a perfectly matched couple and then we come to the acting.  Thiago has always been a supreme actor on stage, but now Marianela has grown into a superb actress too. Her agony was heart wrenching. The whole experience was an emotional roller coaster, crowned by their delightful curtain calls.  

Thiago gave an interview to the Ballet Association last month, during which he said that he liked reprising roles as every iteration gives him the opportunity to enhance and enrich the roles. This is so true in this instance and is what is also so interesting for us fans, as we see dancers begin their careers and then we follow them as they mature and develop their interpretations. I've seen their R&J many times and this broke new barriers.

A special mention also for Eric Underwood as Tybalt. A really strong interpretation.  Also very interested to see Tristan Dyer as Benvolio.  An impressive performance. 

• Like 3

I saw them last Friday and was also very moved by the performances of Nunez and Soares.  I thought Act 1 started rather slowly and that Soares in particular was dancing rather carefully but there were some terrific performances thereafter.

That was rather my feeling about it, too.

• Like 1

How annoying to have a much looked forward to performance spoiled.....nothing worse than not being able to see properly.

And as for bags I can't understand this I'm always extremely glad to get rid of mine and my coat in the winter which at least gets hung up properly in the cloakroom......so I can feel uncluttered in the auditorium. They are exceptionally quick at the end Ive never waited more than a minute or so.

We are spoilt for choice with the R and J 's at the moment so difficult to decide as I would love to have seen Marianela too and have never seen her Juliet. I am going next week to see Osipova......just in case she's not around with RB for long so am looking forward to this ......and reports seem to be good so far......and hopefully see Marianela next season.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The only way the second Osipova/Acosta R&J could be improved is if Act III were longer - I was so enthralled in the performance that it seemed to last only about 5 minutes. There were moments were you could have heard a pin drop, with the entire audience being absolutely quiet.

In some ways this one was even better than their first performance, though I can't quite put my finger on why. Acosta was perhaps on better form, but there was more to it, it really seemed that everyone was performing their best (despite a couple of little mishaps, like Tybald's sword nearly skewering some bystanders when Cervera's Mercutio was throwing it back at him, and Paul Kay's Lute player cutting it a little close when jumping over one of the others and taking his hat clear off in the process. Said hat was plopped back on rather charmingly and garnered quite a few giggles)

Maybe this is the Osipova effect, maybe the RB has just hit its stride - whatever it it, I hope to see more of it.

• Like 4

Adding my further thoughts on the Saturday Costa/Osipova performance, which was the final performance of the current R&J run (now I'm back home and about to have a very early night!).

I agree with much of what Coated said above - it was an enthralling performance and the whole company seemed elevated. It's the first time I have seen Osipova dance live and she was utterly captivating and convincing as Juliet from her first entrance. Acosta seemed youthful and ardent! their pdds were just wondrous - they just melted into each other and the lifts were effortless.

Wonderful supporting cast - it was Gary Avis as Tybalt on Saturday and having seen all 3 this run (I think it was 3 in total?), they have all put their own quite different interpretations on the role and I really wouldn't be pressed to pick a favourite! Great Mercutio (Ricardo Cervera), Benvolio (Trzensimiech), harlots (especially Laura Morera) and lovely mandolin dance, led by Paul Kay (funny mishap - added to the charm!!)

So yes, really good. 

• Like 4

- it was Gary Avis as Tybalt on Saturday and having seen all 3 this run (I think it was 3 in total?), they have all put their own quite different interpretations on the role and I really wouldn't be pressed to pick a favourite!

Four Tybalts in this run, Bennet Gartside, Eric Underwood, Tom Whitehead, Gary Avis, and, as you say, all good with different interpretations.

• Like 1

I think Natasha Osipova’s perfomance last Saturday was outstanding. It was felt in the dead silence of the audience how this Juliet was reaching out to everyone. All those scenes when she was being on stage alone, her desolation and despair were penetrating and startlingly realistic. Acosta was obviously inspired on this night too.

Margaret Willis wrote a worthy review of this performance: http://bachtrack.com/review-dec-royal-ballet-romeo-and-juliet?destination=%2Ffind-reviews%2Fcategory%3D0

Edited to add the link.

Edited by Amelia
  • Like 3

I, too, enjoyed Osipova and Acosta.  Osipova is beautiful to watch.  The way she controls her body is remarkable.  Her pointe work is wonderful to watch.  I was mesmerized by the way Osipova controlled her "dead" body as she was thrown about by Acosta.  A wonderful performance.

• Like 1

I can only agree with others about the performance on Saturday. I just cannot think of the words that really fit Osipova exactly.....hidden away somewhere.....except that she was so alive and real. Every movement almost imbued with meaning and she managed to do something that all great artist dancers do at some point....brought out something new in the music.....I kept particularly noticing certain phrases......and I know the music really well. You were there with her on the stage as her projection is such that she drew you in......she came out to you and you went back with her......something like that. A truly wonderful life enhancing performance.......you just wanted to watch her all the time.

Acosta was on good form too and he also has a great stage presence......he is a superb partner..... and they looked good together even though they probably haven't danced together that often. I shall now want to go and see everything they do (can't wait till Giselle in January now) and do hope they partner together more in the next year. All the other main parts were danced really well and I liked Hristov in his role.....he made it very sympathetic. I did see the mishap with the cap that others have mentioned but just made me smile and hey.....that happens in real life!!

I paid a great deal of money for this performance.....in the stalls circle....and it was worth every penny......not something I say that often these days!!

• Like 6

THANKYOU !

I had so wished to see this , but I almost feel I have - thanks to all of the reports you have written ......I have not totally missed out !

LinMM - it's such a good feeling when you know that it was worth every penny ......I last felt that way when I payed for my parents and sons to see Acosta and friends " classical selection " It will be one of those nights to treasure forever !

• Like 2