Royal Ballet Romeo & Juliet, October 2013

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

(Re Darcey Bussell)

I saw her debut (which had the misfortune of following immediately on from Sarah Wildor's, which I gather was exceedingly good, although I didn't see it myself), and once a few years later.  I'd say that, as in most of MacMillan's full-length dramatic ballets, there were other ballerinas who I thought were better in the role.

Absolutely. In my view Darcey never got the measure of MacMillan's dramatic roles. In most she seemed self conscious and was often prone to look into the audience when her focus should have been those around her on stage. I did, however, see her do real and very moving justice to the role of the Woman in Song of the Earth, both when she was very young and when she was retiring. Her (more or less) contemporaries (Viviana Durante and Sarah Wildor) were both exquisite Juliets.

• Like 2

Absolutely. In my view Darcey never got the measure of MacMillan's dramatic roles. In most she seemed self conscious and was often prone to look into the audience when her focus should have been those around her on stage. I did, however, see her do real and very moving justice to the role of the Woman in Song of the Earth, both when she was very young and when she was retiring. Her (more or less) contemporaries (Viviana Durante and Sarah Wildor) were both exquisite Juliets.

Thanks. Would love to be able to find old videos of Bussell in Mayerling, Manon etc. She's such a personality now i'd like to see how she interpreted these roles.

Thanks. Would love to be able to find old videos of Bussell in Mayerling, Manon etc. She's such a personality now i'd like to see how she interpreted these roles.

Darcey only ever danced Mitzi Caspar in Mayerling. She's on the Mukhamedov/Durante recording.

• Like 1

Overlooked? There's a good reason why I keep muttering "give it to Kish" every time there's been a TBA :). I didn't realise he'd been injured twice, though - I'd assumed this was a continuation of the injury he'd sustained late on last season. Anyway, I hope he recovers soon.

I agree with you about Darcey and the dramatic MacMillan parts, and  I found it strange that she was always cast in the roles. 

Not sure who else was around at the time, was there a shortage of Principal females at the time?

Funny how the audience sees and feels things differently to a choreographer.

McMillan simply liked Darcey Bussell (she moved from Sadler's Wells Ballet to RB thanks to him) even when many in the audience felt she was not a great actress. AD's and choreographers do make or brake the career of a dancer, one just has to be lucky to be liked I guess. 

• Like 2

Maybe some in the audience didn't feel she was the best actress but I'm sure many others did like her interpretation.

Opinions always differ - I know I have been to some shows this season at the ROH that others have raved about that have left me completely cold. Thankfully we all see differently - if not life would be boring if we all agreed.

• Like 6

Moving away from the past and unto a new future - (well, a richly new one for us just now it seems):  Natalia Osipova is a truly EXTRAordinary artist; one as assertively double jointed in her theatrical prowess as in her intuitive acumen.  To paraphrase Oswald from Ibsen's Ghosts - (and there is a vast amount in Osipova's performance as Juliet that will haunt for some time) - "That STARE, Mother.  THAT STARE'"  It had the very devilment about it.  Assuredly such was buried in the many shadows of her dying (and dead) falls.  This radiant young girl's first steps into the court ball impishly imitated those she had seen of her parents and their like.  They elongated with an almost innocent mocking.  They lived in Osipova's 'now' as would all.  She would return to such several times throughout the evening.  On each occasion she attempted in progressive determination to return to the restraint of her formerly secure world of play.  Surrounding Osipova by much of that world we now know is drawn from the understandably admired and much applauded current RB house style can I fear at times - via the dominance of its hovered draw unto austere distances - render many key 'otherwise' responses not only oblique but downright cod.  Not so Ms. Osipova.  She demands as much of herself as she does of us.  Blessedly the heaving ROH throng tonight responded - or is that exploded - in a throw of delighted amazement. How grateful we are to be in the presence not only of Osipova's Juliet, but of the gift of her mind-(and heart)-boggling artistry.  It elevates, thrills and delights in more than equal measure.  It brims.  It IS (without hesitation) ultimate.  Long may we be so privileged to live amongst such courage.

A word of appreciation too for Laura Morea's harlot.  (Is she the only RB principal to still be doing soloist roles?)  The wit of this woman made her stand out from the crowd in a most incisive and witty manner.  Consequently hers was also a performance marked by its own contrasting and knowing points of stillness.  The edges of her focus were here personally clear and not simply shared as framed by a stage manager's hand.  A fine and full effort.  Much appreciated.     

Edited by Meunier
  • Like 6

No chrischris,it is not Hristov's debut as Romeo. He danced it once about eight or nine years ago when we had a flurry of new Romeos (including Putrov). It was not very successful  which is no doubt why we haven't seen it again until now.

As for Osipova last night..........sensational. She reminded me so much of one of the greatest Juliets,Gelsey Kirkland. A totally captivating RB debut.

• Like 4

He danced it once about eight or nine years ago when we had a flurry of new Romeos (including Putrov). 

As for Osipova last night..........sensational. She reminded me so much of one of the greatest Juliets,Gelsey Kirkland. A totally captivating RB debut.

Ivan Putrov danced Romeo in the autumn of 2007. I loved him in the role.

So pleased to hear about Osipova's performance. The weight of expectation on her was enormous and that cannot be easy, even for someone as experienced as she is.

Osipova last night (21st Nov) was magnificent. I unexpectedly burst into tears (don't worry - quietly and unobtrusively) when she came on stage. Two reasons - she reminded me very strongly of Tamara Rojo in the part, and also because she was not Tamara Rojo. Hope this sums up how good she was and also how missed others still are. Think there will be good things to come  . . . .

• Like 1

Just been to see the Friday evening Nunez/Soares cast. I'm no technical expert but for me, as I had hoped, I felt real magic between Romeo and Juliet. The pdd were so passionate and fluid, the ballroom scene when they met was electric and so on. The balcony scene radiated superlative love......They were both just lovely to watch and I got very teary at the end. 

Special mention to Eric Underwood who debuted as Tybalt - he was cruel and menacing. I also was dazzled by Tristan Dyer as Benvolio - hope to be seeing a lot more of him in the near future.

So this evening was a good Romeo and Juliet for me. I still have Osipova/Acosta to see on 7 Dec. Can't wait!

• Like 3

My first MacMillan R and J and my special birthday treat (Acosta & Osipova). Great performance from the whole company, but not the orchestra (at least to my ears). It exceeded my expectations. A real emotional rollercoaster - humour, excitement, joy, love, fear and despair. I shed a tear at the end of the balcony scene as it was so moving. Great acting from Acosta and Osipova, so many nuances to her performance too. It was an evening I shall always remember. True artists. I wish that I could see it all over again.

• Like 1

My thought about Osipova being cast with Acosta is to do with size - she is petite enough to dance with him as he is not particularly tall and given he has lost Tamara Rojo - Tamara and Natalia are about the same size so I think it boils down to that plus Acosta has to have a suitably big star to dance alongside him I imagine. 

Yes, Don Q Fan, I agree about "a suitably big star", and Acosta obviously enjoys dancing with Natasha. However, she is not petite. Her height is 166 cm, the same as Plisetskaya was at the time of her stage career. In those years Plisetskaya looked as a tall ballerina. The ballerinas' height accelerated since then, therefore, Natasha is not among the tall ones now. Still she is visibly taller than Tamara.

Her performance two days ago was inspired. I found Act 1 especially touching when she showed so many immediate sensations. There was feeling and meaning in her every step. Startled and smitten by new feelings she fluctuated between shyness and excitement, tingling all over with eagerness and then rushed to the unknown with all petulance of youth. What a thrill it was to watch her performance!

• Like 2

Interesting remark in passing from Donald Hutera's 4* Times review of Osipova/Acosta - he wasn't impressed by Acosta and wondered "what would have happened had, say, Ricardo Cervera (an excellent Mercutio) slipped into Romeo’s ballet slippers"....

Just got back from the Lamb/ Pennefather evening performance. After being slightly underwhelmed by their opening performance, I have to say they blew me away this time, they were 10 times better. Lamb was stunning, and I was really impressed with her characterisation. Pennefather was fantastic, great acting and his dancing was noticibly better than last week. In fact the whole company seemed on better form, and the audience seemed far more involved.

• Like 2

Anyone know why Nicol Edmonds (I think it was him playing Paris last night) was presented with all the flowers on stage at the end? Birthday I assume?

David Pickering was Paris last night and the flowers were for his last performance with the company.  Perhaps somebody else knows if he's actually leaving or if he's staying to continue his work with the Education Department.

• Like 2

What a shame. I feel as though he's been playing Paris virtually ever since I started watching the company (except that he can't have been, because he joined a bit later). I hope he's staying in Education, but wish him the best anyway.

David Pickering was Paris last night and the flowers were for his last performance with the company.  Perhaps somebody else knows if he's actually leaving or if he's staying to continue his work with the Education Department.

Cheers. You could hear clapping from behind the curtain before the performance so I did wonder if there was a special occasion.