Royal Ballet Romeo & Juliet, October 2013

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Alexander Campbell hasn't danced Romeo, then?

I was very disappointed Alexander Campbell didn't get a Romeo this season - but I guess with it being such a staple of the RB repertoire they can't give a lot of debuts whilst also letting the Principals dance the roles. It's a shame there's no debuts at all this run (yet each cast still only has 2 performances) - would have loved to see Alexander Campbell and Yuhui Choe as the star crossed lovers!

I must say that he is also one of my favourite Mercutios, and one of only a few that can reduce me to tears at the Mercutio death scene.

• Like 2

Can somebody please, please tell me why Morera is cast so rarely in Principal roles, particularly in the MacMillan ballets?  She was brilliant in Manon, so why so just the one performance?  (Edited to add I think she just did the one?  I have been away quite a bit, so may have missed out on up to date inf

I know she was desperate to dance Juliet, so why has she never been given the chance?

I too cant understand why she is constantly overlooked, not only is she an exciting dancer but she is also a great actress. I saw her Manon and she was as ever fabulous.
  • Like 2

I loved it last night!  I do love watching Ed Watson dance, but wasn't initially feeling that his Romeo was any better than anyone else's, until it got to the part where it had all "kicked off" and he'd killed Tybalt - and as he was crouching on the floor I felt his pain of the death of his friend and the horror of the killing.  He and Melissa looked lovely together.  Sorry I can't really add anything more insightful that that!

I was also delighted that I got to see some debuts in roles, none more so that Nicol Edmonds as Paris, as we kind of know eachother from his time at Elmhurst.  He looked very handsome and played a kind of "confused" Paris, I'd say - kind of wondering why Juliet didn't want him  ;)

• Like 5

I also went on 30th(Wed) to see Melissa Hamilton & Edward Watson and my comment is quite similar to JulieW's.

It was the second time for me to see ROH R&J live - I went to see Cuthbertson & Bonelli a week before - and I liked it more than the first one.

Maybe it's because I love so much to see Edward Watson dance and act on stage in this kind of narrative ballet.
He is such a great actor/ dancer and, to me, his Romeo looked very passionate and romantic.

I was also keen to watch Hamilton to dance Juliet after I watched her Mary in the Mayerling and I liked her lovely Juliet.

As JulieW commented, it was really nice to see many relatively young and upcoming dancers last night.

Valentino Zucchetti was cheerful as Mercutio and Nicole Edmonds as Paris impressed me in the ball dance scene.

Christina Arestis was credited as Rosaline in the cast list but I think was actually danced by Fumi Kaneko, one of my favorite dancers.

• Like 2

Both Hamilton and Watson acted their socks of in Act III, it was rather awe-inspiring. I wasn't too taken with their chemistry before the last act, but I could just watch their third act on a never ending loop.

Melissa Hamilton managed to be practically boneless yet graceful at the same time when a despairing Watson tried to will her back to live.

Both Bennett Gartside and Valentino Zucchetti died well on stage (Valentino might have overacted a wee bit, but it suited the moment) and I really liked the corps in those scenes - it looked like everyone on stage was involved / affected by the unfolding drama.

There were definitely some wow moments from Watson and Hamilton on the dance front, but for me this one seemed to be all about the acting.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone catch today's matinee?

I am an amateur fan but I was underwhelmed.  Edward Watson his usual wonderful self (huge fan) but IMHO Melissa Hamilton not up to it.  Lovely dancing, tehcnically proficient as far as I could tell, but the drama just wasn't there.  I was left feeling that Ed was an elderly Uncle to a young niece.

Maybe I am being unfair but the applause was little more than purfunctory and the coughing throughout was noticeable.  Having last seen Mr. Watson in Mayerling twice in the summer, I couldn't recognise him.  

I should, however, confess, that I am still reeling from the loss of Alina Cojocaru.  Yes, it was dreadful to loose Johann, too, but he was nearing the end of his dancing days whereas Alina was in her prime.  What a partner should would have made for the wonderful Ed Watson.  The Royal Ballet is light on top ladies at the moment and it was supremely careless to lose Alina, especially in the same year as Tamara and Mara and Lauren all departed.

• Like 1

Lauren hasn't departed - thank goodness! Did you mean Leanne Benjamin?

I have to disagree about RB being light on top ladies; Marianela Nuñez is bursting with star quality IMHO; she could come on stage in a binbag and I'd be enchanted. Lauren (touch wood) seems to have recovered and it's so wonderful to see her dancing again. Yes, Alina leaving was unfortunate and Mara will be sorely missed but I don't think we need to panic just yet about there being no star dancers at the ROH. :-)

• Like 1

In my experience, applause at matinees is generally less enthusiastic than at evening performances.

If Melissa is in both Chroma and the new Dawson, on top of her performances in R&J, then I wonder whether she is being given too much to do. She is still relatively inexperienced and moving from two very modern pieces to a dramatic piece such as R&J in three days must be quite challenging.

• Like 1

Just got back from the Lamb/ Pennefather evening performance. I had doubts beforehand about Lamb in this role, but I was really surprised. She was really good and brought out Juliet's cheeky side really well. I was initially worried that Pennefather was having an off night as he seemed off in Scene 1 and seem to almost nearly fall over a couple of times in scene 3 (with Mercutio and Benvolio in front of the castle), but he improved and his dancing was really good. The balcony pdd and bedroom pdd were stunning and reminded me of why I love these two together in Manon and Swan Lake, but i'm not sure this is the best ballet for their partnership. They are both quite cool and reserved and I think this is a ballet that needs more passion. Would actually have preferred to see Lamb with Watson and Pennefather with Hamilton, as the latter have insane sexual chemistry and I think Lamb and Watson would make an interesting pair. Can't stress enough how stunning the pdd's were though, and they do look so beautiful together.

Would actually have preferred to see Lamb with Watson and Pennefather with Hamilton, as the latter have insane sexual chemistry and I think Lamb and Watson would make an interesting pair.

Chris, it's interesting that you should say that - I was just reflecting on this this afternoon.  Watson and Lamb were in fact supposed to be doing R&J some years ago, but then castings got changed round.  IIRC, she ended up dancing with Slava Samodurov, and he I think was cast with Alexandra Ansanelli, but I believe she got injured.  Anyway, she was replaced by Leanne Benjamin (which was fine by me).  At least, I think that's how it was, but R&J is on so frequently that I could be getting things mixed up :)

Penelope, did you leave early?  I certainly wouldn't have said that the applause at the end of the performance was "perfunctory", and although there was quite a bit of coughing I thought that most of it was "genuine" rather than of the self-conscious variety, which is what it tends to be when people aren't involved in a performance.

• Like 1

No, I didn't leave early.  Look, I did enjoy it  - a lot- but for me, IMHO, it wasn't top flight.  I adore Watson and thought Hamilton was excellent but there was something missing and maybe it was that I couldn't detect any magic between them and didn't think they were well matched.

As for starting a panic about a lack of leading ladies, hardly! I'm only an amateur but I know when something really moves me and I miss Alina and I thought Watson and Galeazzi were an inspired pairing.  I also thought Emma Maguire was wonderful with him in Mayerling, but I wasn't getting it yesterday with Hamilton.  As Ed lost his partner and as Johann Kobborg was probably coming to the end of his dancing, I think RB should have moved heaven and earth to keep Cojocaru who is exquisite and, IMHO, in a major league that would include Altynai Asymuratova, and Viviana Durante.  I have not seen Osipova yet so can't comment but wonder why she is being paired with Acosta virtually all the time?

Come back Alina!  Maybe she was difficult to manage or suffered from a lot of injury.  I don't know.  What I do know is that stars like her don't come along very often and they are worth a little trouble.

• Like 1

Come back Alina!  Maybe she was difficult to manage or suffered from a lot of injury.  I don't know.  What I do know is that stars like her don't come along very often and they are worth a little trouble.

While Alina can still, of course, be seen with ENB, the glory of her artistry is best displayed in the RB's dramatic repertoire. Directing a Ballet Company clearly requires very special and uniquely good, multi-faceted managerial skills if the really great stars are to be encouraged to remain on the strength.

The current roster of partnerships in R&J doesn't electrify me in the way that a number did in the past (including the recent past). In almost every case, either Romeo or Juliet appears weaker than his or her partner.

• Like 1

I don't go to R and J much these days but managed to get a return ticket for Obratsova and McRae on Thursday (already had one for Osipova/Acosta which is an event not to be missed) and the whole cast rekindled my interest in the ballet, Obratsova is one of nature's Juliets, so young and charming, she also has a soft, light style which worked perfectly, and Steven McRae partnered her well (don't know how she fitted it in with 3 perfomances at the Bolshoi last week too). Really liked Trystan Dyer, Alexander Campbell, and Valentino Zuchetti in their roles, the ballet seemed invigorated by the younger cast, although Gary Avis made a huge impact as Lord Capulet, he made every gesture and step mean something in the Act 2 court dance.

• Like 1

Think about it chrischris, Romeo does far more dancing than Juliet. Most Juliets will agree that Romeo's role is the more tiring role

On repeat viewing, I completely agree. Romeo does have far more dancing than Juliet. It was nice of Lamb to give Pennefather a rose from her bouquet at the end.

Did anyone on here see Bussell do R & J? What was she like?

R&J is one of my least favourite ballets but the matinee yesterday was very nice.  I didn't get much chemistry coming off Watson/Hamilton as others have said, but Act 3 was very good indeed.  I was very impressed with Dawid Tresenzimiech (Benvolio) and Valentino Zucchetti (Mercutio)- great that they are being given more prominent roles of late.  I struggle with R&J as a ballet as it is so darkly lit it would be so much better to have better lighting and allow the audience to assume it is dark I felt I was peering into the gloom for a good part of the show.

100% agree with comments about Laura Morera she is practically being sidelined - she would have been a fab Kitri in Don Q and lovely Juliet too what IS going on?  If I were in her shoes I'd be pretty miffed, unless there is an underlying reason that we are not privy to.  I am looking forward to seeing Marianela and Thiago in Giseslle (can't do it all) as their Onegin was wonderful, pity I could not catch them in R&J. 

My thought about Osipova being cast with Acosta is to do with size - she is petite enough to dance with him as he is not particularly tall and given he has lost Tamara Rojo - Tamara and Natalia are about the same size so I think it boils down to that plus Acosta has to have a suitably big star to dance alongside him I imagine.  Just my 2p worth!

Edited by Don Q Fan

She must have been very young then, capybara!

It was April 2005 and she danced first with Igor Kolb and then with Andrei Merkuriev (also now with the Bolshoi) who was making his debut as Romeo. She was born in January 1985 I believe - so, yes, she was very young then.

100% agree with comments about Laura Morera she is practically being sidelined - she would have been a fab Kitri in Don Q and lovely Juliet too what IS going on?  If I were in her shoes I'd be pretty miffed, unless there is an underlying reason that we are not privy to.  I am looking forward to seeing Marianela and Thiago in Giseslle (can't do it all) as their Onegin was wonderful, pity I could not catch them in R&J.

Laura has opening night cast for Nutcracker as Sugar Plum, and has Giselle in January

• Like 1

I adore Watson and thought Hamilton was excellent but there was something missing and maybe it was that I couldn't detect any magic between them and didn't think they were well matched.

Well, I'll agree that I thought at several times that they were better apart than together (and also thought, as when they first danced together in L'Invitation au Voyage, that she was a bit on the tall side for him).  But Watson's had a rare chemistry with both Benjamin and Galeazzi, and that's not necessarily automatically going to be replicated with another dancer, and probably especially not when the other dancer is only relatively recently cast in leading roles.  I doubt it's easy for either of them.  But I have to say that their balcony scene was a lot better than on Hamilton's debut.

The current roster of partnerships in R&J doesn't electrify me in the way that a number did in the past (including the recent past). In almost every case, either Romeo or Juliet appears weaker than his or her partner.

No, I very much agree.  With 4 Juliets gone, and having overdosed on RB R&Js over the last couple of runs, I found myself actually wondering how many of these I would actually book for this time around.  I think the answer's 4, at present.

Did anyone on here see Bussell do R & J? What was she like?

I saw her debut (which had the misfortune of following immediately on from Sarah Wildor's, which I gather was exceedingly good, although I didn't see it myself), and once a few years later.  I'd say that, as in most of MacMillan's full-length dramatic ballets, there were other ballerinas who I thought were better in the role.

My thought about Osipova being cast with Acosta is to do with size - she is petite enough to dance with him as he is not particularly tall and given he has lost Tamara Rojo - Tamara and Natalia are about the same size so I think it boils down to that plus Acosta has to have a suitably big star to dance alongside him I imagine.  Just my 2p worth!

Yes, although I don't think their physiques will complement each other as well - she's quite leggy.  Still, we shall see.

• Like 1

Well, I'll agree that I thought at several times that they were better apart than together (and also thought, as when they first danced together in L'Invitation au Voyage, that she was a bit on the tall side for him).  But Watson's had a rare chemistry with both Benjamin and Galeazzi, and that's not necessarily automatically going to be replicated with another dancer, and probably especially not when the other dancer is only relatively recently cast in leading roles.  I doubt it's easy for either of them.  But I have to say that their balcony scene was a lot better than on Hamilton's debut.

If I remember correctly, they hadn't had the chance to rehearse the balcony scene in full before the performance last time as she had been rehearsing with Rupert until injury forced him out a couple of days before the performance.

Well, I'll agree that I thought at several times that they were better apart than together . But Watson's had a rare chemistry with both Benjamin and Galeazzi, and that's not necessarily automatically going to be replicated with another dancer, and probably especially not when the other dancer is only relatively recently cast in leading roles.  I doubt it's easy for either of them.  

I was also at the Saturday matinee to see the Hamilton/Watson cast and was about to say exactly the same Alison! It is going to take time to build new R&J partnerships that have a sheer electrifying chemistry. The last R&J I saw at ROH was March 2012 with Kobborg and Cojacaru (I think that was their last together at ROH because I remember Johan tweeting 'last one' ahead of the performance) and there was such intense chemistry between the 2 leading dancers , it would be hard for anything to come close for me for a long time to come - I can live in hope...

That said, I felt that both Watson and Hamilton injected some great drama and emotion into their performances on Saturday. I have seen quite a bit of Hamilton over the last year, including her Mary Vetsera and Raven Girl and I think she is getting better and better in dramatic roles. I really felt for her Juliet particularly in Act 3.

Other stand out performances on Saturday matinee: Bennet Gartside's terrifically mean and menacing Tybalt, Nicol Edmonds perfect Paris and Valentino Zucchetti's virtuoso Mercutio.

Anyway, I am back this Friday evening to see Nunez/Soares and then 7 December to see Acosta/Osipova so it will be interesting to compare casts.......

• Like 2