Christopher Wheeldon - An American in Paris - Paris & Broadway

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ballet now rules on Broadway it seems:

L. Cope's "irresistible ballet style has audiences’ in awe as she moves around the stage opposite Fairchild. From the moment she dances on stage her breathtaking, awe-inducing ballet training shines as she steals the spotlight in An American in Paris. "

http://emertainmentmonthly.com/2015/06/17/an-american-in-paris-ballet-on-broadway-never-looked-so-beautiful/

Inside the recording studio with the AiP company:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/videoplay.php?colid=1037847#.VYLuYPlViko

See L. Cope record 'The Man I Love'.  Rob Fisher is 'beyond delighted'.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

It now notes on the AiP website that R. Fairchild is replaced at certain performances by Garen Schribner, late of NDT and SFB.  If you are travelling to NYC and want to see the NYCB principal while he is still in AiP perhaps you should touch base with the box office prior to your ticket purchase.  No schedule is listed on the AiP website for these replacements and no mention is made of a replacement for L. Cope (AiP/RB). 

Edited by Bruce Wall

Interesting article about the French Powerhouse (Jean-Luc Choplin) behind AiP and the Chatalet's associated success with Wheeldon's production.  Choplin was a former POB chief administrator.  The Bloomberg article also gives information on the actual breakdown of the initial AiP investment.  The French portion was entirely recouped from the success of the 40 performance Paris run.  Now all earned percentages from the Broadway run (where the production has been bringing in close to one and a half million dollars each week) are pure profit for the Chatalet charity and can help support similar ventures in the future.  Next season the Chatalet are producing Sondheim's 'Passion' with the noted French opera singer, Natalie Dessay.  The season previous to AiP they had produced The King and I featuring the fine American operatic personality, Susan Graham.  

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-25/-an-american-in-paris-owes-its-broadway-success-to-a-frenchman

Edited by Bruce Wall

Charming and prophetic, Bruce. Thank you.

“I also want to be in a movie.” (Robbie Fairchild, 4th grade)

The moment I saw the first internet video clips I could see a movie. I’ve now seen two stage performances and I feel this all the more. A movie could, with closeups and careful editing, highlight the art of the choreography, the very fine dancing of Robbie Fairchild and the remarkable nuances of Leanne Cope among other things. I think that it could be a great success and a very appropriate followup to the Gene Kelly-Leslie Caron classic.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone visiting NYC next month will have a chance to see AiP at a special Broadway incentive - two-tickets-for-one - rate.  Info here.  AiP is just one of 22 Broadway shows taking part in this supported celebration.

Also a notation of L. Cope's (AiP/RB) and R. Fairchild's (AiP/NYCB) tweets on the occasion of G. Kelly's birthday anniversary can be found here.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

'..>AIP will be featured on The Late Show, details in Playbill.<..'

I got guite excited about this until I realised that The Late Show is acrtually a US TV programme, so presumably can onlly be seen in the US. However, AIP is such a success story for our own Wheeldon and  Cope, that -  hopefully - either the BBC or ITV will feature it somewhere in their schedules soon.  

• Like 1

A catch-up review of the Broadway favourite, An American in Paris ...

"This show challenges and comforts, and surprises and soothes, in lockstep — which, when you think about it, is a pretty good recipe for enduring success." 

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2015/09/an_american_in_paris_and_3_other_shows_to_catch_up.html

Edited by Bruce Wall

• 2 months later...

Leanne Cope (AiP/RB) and Robbie Fairchild (AiP/NYCB) perform a PDD from AN AMERICAN IN PARIS currently on Broadway at the White House 

http://www.broadwayworld.com/videoplay.php?colid=1186377

Please note - should you be in NYC - that Leanne Cope is not currently doing Wednesday matinees and Robbie Fairchild is not doing Wednesday evenings and Saturday matinees. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...