Christopher Wheeldon - An American in Paris - Paris & Broadway

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if - once they are in a regular Broadway run/schedule - and once Mr. Fairchild returns to his duties as a NYCB principal - which I'm sure he will do in a split role with his Broadway assignment - (much as his wife is doing in taking over certain performances for her sister-in-law [another NYCB principal, Megan Fairchild] in On Your Town currently on Broadway) -  I wonder if Ms. Cope might not guest for a couple of performances (no more) with NYCB in, say, Liebeslieder Waltzer or, certainly, Robbin's Fancy Free - both of which are key in Mr. Fairchild's vast rep.  Perhaps they could even do Wheeldon's Carousel spin and she could do the role that was Mr. Fairchild's wife's first principal creation (at 17) with NYCB, then opposite the legendary Damian Woetzel.

I've only just caught up with this thread for some reason. Bruce, your refusal to mention people by name, but only by relationship is headache-inducing and makes this sound like a particularly tough logic problem. You know, the sort where you have a grid which allows you to relate all the categories to each other, and where the clues read "Mrs Adams is older than the woman at number 23, but younger than the man at number 41. Lucy's surname is not Martin, and she lives in an even-numbered house ..."!

• Like 1

I was at the first NY preview of “An American in Paris” last Friday, March 13.  I am not sure whose idea it was to start the preview period on Friday the 13th.

I am still in a dream state with Wheeldon’s ballet scene.  We, on the US side, always knew how good Fairchild is, but we are very lucky to have Cope in NY.  She is cute and looks innocent, but somehow manages “femme fatale” look from time to time.  She can make you believe how 3 guys (1 French and 2 Americans) would fall for her.  I certainly did.  Particularly with her use of arms in the ballet scene.

For Wheeldon, this will not be another “Sweet Smell of Success”.  He has created something new from this very traditional American musical story.  I felt that the book needed some tightening (some jokes were not working, and there were some awkward silences), and I am sure they will continue to work prior to their opening night.

During curtain call, the first preview audience went wild, and Cope was in tears.  She really looked overwhelmed.  I hope her decision to take a leave from Royal is paying off for her. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting article in Variety on the realities of/behind AiP's Paris tryout and the potential for future such undertakings; plus a different take on a similar theme (i.e., the show) in the Chicago Tribune.  AiP officially opens on Broadway this Sunday.  On an encouraging note the NYT's Artsbeat reported that over the Easter week: 

Among the other new shows, the dance-heavy musical “An American in Paris,” based on the 1951 film, looks especially healthy, grossing $967,000 in eight preview performances.

Edited by Bruce Wall

Thank you also, Bruce. I've not had a chance to look at these but will do so as soon as possible.

Once again, based on what I saw opening night in Paris, I wish this endeavor all the success possible. 

Glad to see that the Variety) notes:

It’s hard to breathe during the dreamy, 14-minute ballet that brings the show to a close with the lovers locked at last in each other’s arms — not only because the love story is so romantic, but because we rarely see this kind of dancing on Broadway and it’s hard to let it go.

Edited by Bruce Wall

In reference to the latter point above The Washington Post AiP review concurs:

Wheeldon and company’s larger achievement is to confer on “An American in Paris” a contemporary freshness, to convey to Broadway audiences how the rigor of classical dance can be adapted to the musical form in fuller and ever more invigorating ways. The conjoining of these worlds on Broadway makes for one very fortunate collision.

The hope that AiP might foster a ballet return to musicals is a potent aspiration.  The trade review (Variety) notes:

It’s hard to breathe during the dreamy, 14-minute ballet that brings the show to a close with the lovers locked at last in each other’s arms — not only because the love story is so romantic, but because we rarely see this kind of dancing on Broadway and it’s hard to let it go.

Thanks for finding these, Bruce. However I  couldn't get your link to the Variety review to work. This one seems OK:

http://variety.com/2015/legit/reviews/american-in-paris-review-broadway-1201471069/

Edited by Bluebird

The Box Office Reports for the last week have just come out and - in its last week of previews on Broadway - An American in Paris played to 98% capacity and drew 78% of its gross even given all the press comps (which on Broadway cover at least two nights and are hearty given the breadth of the North American press), extended members of The Broadway League, etc. - and that was BEFORE THE REVIEWS.  Those indications can now realistically suggest I think that they will have a solid/extended commercial run.  The strength of its commercial return may also suggest that there could be - in time - a commercial London production ... or perhaps a Paris return as the Chatelet were core investors in its practical production.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

Nominations for the first major theatre awards of the 2014/15 Broadway season - the long standing Outer Critics Circle Awards - have today been announced.  AiP get eight (one more than the Broadway production of Wolf Hall.)  Leanne Cope is nominated for Outstanding Actress in a Musical in a very heady (and well established) field.  Outstanding New Play will definitely go to a British source as all candidates are from the UK.  Christopher Wheeldon is nominated for both Direction of a Musical and Choreography.  Fellow Brit Bob Crowley also receives a very well deserved nod for his AiP set designs.  (He also gets a costume nomination for The Audience.)  American (NYCB prinicpal) Robert Fairchild gets a nomination for Outstanding Actor in a Musical.  His sister, (another NYCB principal) Megan Fairchild gets a nomination for Outstanding Featured Actress in a Musical for On the Town.  Crucially AiP is nominated as 'Outstanding New Broadway Musical'.  That's the 'money in the bank' item.  Very often these awards give a strong indication as towards the Tony (Antoinette Perry) Award nominations which will be announced in the last week of this month.  

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/outer-critics-circle-nominees-announced-something-rotten-leads-the-pack-347165

OUTSTANDING ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL

Kristin Chenoweth    On the Twentieth Century

Leanne Cope    An American in Paris

Tyne Daly    It Shoulda Been You

Kelli O’Hara    The King and I

Chita Rivera    The Visit

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

I honestly can't believe that Robbie Fairchild will leave his principal post with NYCB for Broadway.  I'm sure that he - and, indeed, his wife - fellow principal Tiler Peck who has already made her Broadway debut - may well have extended leaves at certain times to create roles in musicals - much, say, as Robbie Le Fosse did for 'Jerome Robbins on Broadway' before returning to finish his lengthy career with NYCB.  Surely Fairchild/Peck create far too many roles in too many ballets at NYCB to do otherwise.  That is where the real history is made after all.  

I agree it may be a different situation for Leanne Cope.  The well established protocols for promotions at the Royal Ballet may understandably be difficult for her to rightfully manage now.  That said I would imagine Cope could now write her own ticket into a senior post in any one of a variety of other much admired companies.  People were talking on another BcoF page about a potential guesting slot for the upcoming RB Giselles.  I would love to see Ms. Cope and Mr. Fairchild have a crack at that for one or two performances ONLY.  Whereas he has danced leads in Swan Lake, Romeo and Juliet, MSND, Coppelia, Nutcracker, a vast swathe of Balanchine, Robbins, Wheeldon, Ratmansky, etc., (and even had two pieces created for him by Liam Scarlett) he has - as far as I know - never given the world his Albrecht.  It would, I think, be a début for both of them.  I realise, of course, this is probably not probable for very concrete reasons at the ROH.  NYCB is to launch a new production of La Sylphide in the Spring season ... and I'm sure it will be repeated in the Fall and if not then shortly afterwards.  it would be lovely if the two of them could do a couple of performances of that perhaps.  Certainly Ms. Cope has/will have built her principal stealth through doing eight performances a week as Lise in AiP.   

Edited by Bruce Wall

I really hope she does. There are some dramatic roles that many of us would like to see do and I know that there is one MacMillan role that she would love to dance. No, not the one that every other female dancer says that they want to do.

Oh, Tony, I'm sure that Leanne Cope would return to guest with the RB even IF she was to be based at a more senior level elsewhere.  She comes across in all interviews and reports as just such a lovely person as well as a talented dancer/performing artiste.  

Edited by Bruce Wall