Birmingham Royal Ballet which one to watch next?

I am trying to take my daughter to see a few live ballets, we love DVDs but it is not quite the same. So far we have been lucky enough to see a few Brb production but I am afraid I have not heard of a lot of the ones coming up next year (uncultured!!) please can anyone advise which would be most suitable for a 9 year old. Thank you in anticipation.

Well, apart from Nutcracker at Christmas (a festive staple chez Spanner) I think I would next plump for BRB's La Fille mal gardée in June. It's an ideal ballet for youngsters with plenty of comedy and lovely mime, gorgeous scenery and costumes and (in the Royal Ballet's production at least) a real pony. :-)

La Fille was my daughter's favourite ballet at that age. I think of it as the ballet equivalent of a tonic! :-)

• Like 1

Yes, I agree that Nutcracker and Fille are both wonderful and great for youngsters.

It may also be worthwhile looking at where the midscale tours are going to when the dates and venues are announced.  I don't kow what the programmes will be this year but they are usually suitable for children because they are shorter pieces and "sound bites" of full length works.

• Like 1

Not the BRB, but if you don't mind an afternoon run to Buxton Opera House on 27 Oct, I can recommend "A Midsummer Nights Dream" by Ballet Cymru They are also doing their new "Romeo & Juliet" in Ludlow on the 25 Oct or Stourbridge on the 7 Dec.  I don't like the new R&J anywhere near as much as their old one.

• Like 2

The midscale tour is where the company splits into 2 and performs a varied rep in smaller theatres.  It was originally targetted North East and South West but some of the places they have visited recently don't IMHO fit in those areas eg Cheltenham and Buxton.

The dates are announced on the Company website and I (or other BRB fans) usually post them on the Forum when the details are known.

The dates are usually in the Spring - mid May last year.

Here's the link to the BRB website:  http://brb.org.uk/

As Trog mentioned above, Ballet Cymru are also well worth seeking out.

• Like 2

Oh yes, good point re. Ballet Cymru. My daughter saw their Midsummer Night's Dream a few years ago and loved it. Their new R&J is quite contemporary in choreo and very modern in set and costume - dd wouldn't have got on with it at nine. Teenagers would appreciate it. :-)

• Like 1