Is it me?

taxi4ballet

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And tubs of ice cream (the Wall's ones have gone down from 2 l to 1.8 l - and certain supermarkets which shall remain nameless decided to put the price up at the same time).

Curly Wurlys shrank years and years ago.  And then there's toilet paper and paper towels - notice more of a lateral gap in the dispensers than there used to be?  Innocent Smoothies "shrank" from 1 l down to 900 ml, too.  And Fox's circular "cream" biscuits are appearing in ever-shortening packs.  The worst, in my book, is Colgate toothpaste: they now have such a range of tube sizes and products that it's difficult to work out how much of what you're buying.

It's all a deliberate act by the manufacturers to try and make it look as though they're not putting the price up by reducing weight/volume.

• Like 1

I noticed that!   For some years, I'd been using an old QS tin to put the Christmas cake in, but it was starting to get rusty.  When I went into the stores to buy a new one, I thought "that doesn't look as big as the one I've got".  Sure enough, I measured it up and it wasn't: fortunately I realised before I'd wasted my money.

I don't know how many of you were around when Britain changed to decimal money, but I was and everything immediately more than doubled in price.  A sixpenny orange for example remained a sixpenny orange, only, if I am not miscalculating, it then cost 14 old pennies etc etc etc.  The biggest cheat of course was when you thought a price was in pounds and then it turned out to be in guinees, which was one pound one shilling - that little extra shilling soon added up on expensive items.  At least that practise disappeared with decimalization!

By the way perhaps the shrinking boxes of chocolate is the manufacturer's way of getting us all to diet?????

Edited by Dance*is*life

I've kept the tins from previous years and am still trying to work out if it is cheaper to buy the boxes and then refill the tin.  Anyway I'm on a diet this year so however I buy either Quality Street or Roses there's going to be a lot more for everyone else! ;)

Yes they are! There is a thread on the Martin's Money Tip forum about it. Was reading it last week and some very observant soles know by exactly how much they have shrunk in size each year. Will see if I can find it later and post link.

Just this very afternoon,I was making myself a salad sandwich. The bread from yesterday was still fresh so I decided to use the last slice in yesterday`s bread and a slice in this mornings I bought. I was buttering them both. Today`s bread is smaller in size than yesterdays,really obviously so when both slices are put together. What a cheek.

• Like 1

Also Mars Bars have got smaller over the years.

I also believe that some toothpaste companies, a few years ago, made the top of the toothpaste tube bigger/wider so you then squeeze more toothpaste out along your brush and finish the tube quicker than when it was narrower.

(you really only need a small pea size amount of paste on your brush)

I don't know how many of you were around when Britain changed to decimal money, but I was and everything immediately more than doubled in price.  A sixpenny orange for example remained a sixpenny orange, only, if I am not miscalculating, it then cost 14 old pennies etc etc etc.  The biggest cheat of course was when you thought a price was in pounds and then it turned out to be in guinees, which was one pound one shilling - that little extra shilling soon added up on expensive items.  At least that practise disappeared with decimalization!

By the way perhaps the shrinking boxes of chocolate is the manufacturer's way of getting us all to diet?????

I lived in Italy when it adopted the Euro and the same thing happened.

That was a strange year I think it was 1970 when we went decimal and I was in first year of teaching up in Liverpool.

At the same time.....and I can't remember if it was countrywide or just some areas....there was an experiment with daylight saving hours so I remember going to school in the dark still at 8.30 in the morning!!

The changeover was problematic for a while as Had to keep converting from new to old pence all the time to work out the cost etc but soon one just forgot about the old money and stopped converting. The new money felt strange though as it seemed so much lighter in weight than the old money.

Things seem to change in size so much am sure get done all the time in the shops!!

Mini milks are also smaller now. At first I thought it was due to eating this ice cream as a child - everything looks bigger to a child -  but I asked friends and family and they have definitely become smaller. You need to eat two to compensate for the size one used to be!

• Like 1

That was a strange year I think it was 1970 when we went decimal and I was in first year of teaching up in Liverpool.

At the same time.....and I can't remember if it was countrywide or just some areas....there was an experiment with daylight saving hours so I remember going to school in the dark still at 8.30 in the morning!!

The changeover was problematic for a while as Had to keep converting from new to old pence all the time to work out the cost etc but soon one just forgot about the old money and stopped converting. The new money felt strange though as it seemed so much lighter in weight than the old money.

Things seem to change in size so much am sure get done all the time in the shops!!

Decimalisation day was on 15th February 1971.  I remember it because it was the day I had my waist length hair cut to shoulder length!

• Like 2

Ah thanks Janet.

That year I lived way out in Woolton and had a reasonably long bus journey into town. The daylight saving year was either the year before or the same year but I seem to remember the journey from Woolton being in the dark!!

Decimalisation day was on 15th February 1971.  I remember it because it was the day I had my waist length hair cut to shoulder length!

"On the 15th day of February

Nineteen seventy-one

There's going to be

Decimal currency

With a hundred pennies

In a pound." 

Sung to something approximating the tune of The Twelve Days of Christmas, as I recall. 

• Like 3

It's funny the things we remember from our childhood - I have never forgotten this poem by Robert Louis Stevenson, but it was written in 1913 so long before daylight saving hours were introduced.......

In winter I get up at night
And dress by yellow candle-light.
In summer quite the other way,
I have to go to bed by day.

I have to go to bed and see
The birds still hopping on the tree,
Or hear the grown-up people's feet
Still going past me in the street.

And does it not seem hard to you,
When all the sky is clear and blue,
And I should like so much to play,
To have to go to bed by day?

• Like 4

Thanks for the poem!!

I'd quite like to be in French time though so have even longer lighter Eve's in the summer!!

Admittedly this would mean darker mornings for a while and after just reading some dire warnings from the Energy companies it would mean could well be dressing by candle light!!

• Like 1

It's funny the things we remember from our childhood - I have never forgotten this poem by Robert Louis Stevenson, but it was written in 1913 so long before daylight saving hours were introduced.......

i remember reciting this for my first ever drama exam!!!! ;)

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

It's funny the things we remember from our childhood - I have never forgotten this poem by Robert Louis Stevenson, but it was written in 1913 so long before daylight saving hours were introduced.......

I had that in a big book of poems by RLS!  The one I tend to remember, though, is

"I have a little shadow who goes in and out with me

And what can be the use of him is more than I can see.

He's very very like me from his heels up to his head,

And I see him jump before me when I jump into my bed"

(maybe not 100% accurate)

• Like 2

My favorite morning of the year was the first day of summer vacation - the two months of no school stretched before me like forever.  I lay in bed an extra few minutes, anticipating a day of play.  Then  I ran down stairs, opened the front door and sat down - opened the bottles of milk which had been delivered and skimmed off the cream with my finger.  The early morning was filled with birds chirping and the grass heavy with dew.  

Of course, by August I couldn't wait for school to start.

As for RLS - every Friday I recited one of his poems at our school assembly.  I loved them.

Today - no home delivery of milk - no bottles - no cream on top - fewer birds - 

And about this clock changing thing every 6 months - let's split the diffence and stop this nonsense.  Changing all those clocks, watches, etc. - what a waste of time!

• Like 2

I always find it so difficult to adjust when they change the clocks.  I am waking up now at 5.30am, and yawning my head off at 9.30pm.

And I do hate being plunged suddenly into winter with such short afternoons. 

I know the argument is so that school children do not have to go to school in the dark in the mornings, but as so many are driven to school these days I simply cannot fathom out the argument at all.

And as for it being easier for farmers, I really cannot see why.  Since when do farm animals know how to tell the time? 

It's also annoying with the other side of the world in Australia.....well Sydney for me....where I have friends living.

This is because during the summer months as we both change our times Sydney is only 9 hours behind but now suddenly with the clock changes they are 11 hours behind.

There will be a brief period twice a year when it's ten hours as they don't change their clocks the same day as us?

Luckily I now have a world clock on my IPad which tells me the time and temp of the places I put in it.....very helpful!

I hate the dark evenings as well and I can feel a definite drop in energy as the clocks go back and when it's dark for such long periods

Has got worse as have got older!!

• 2 weeks later...