Ideas for 'on the go' meals

Moomin

I'm going to have to start taking dinners for my daughter to eat before her class as we haven't got time to come home. Does anyone have any good ideas? Would prefer something hot and filling, having a hot school lunch and sandwich later is not an option. Thank you!

Could you do something like Greek mezze that you could keep warm (but still taste ok if they have cooled down).  I love hummous and pitta bread and you could have falafel, feta, stuffed vine leaves, borek, fruit etc.  Marks used to do nice Greek bits and pieces (and hopefully they still do).

How long would you have to keep the food warm for?  I think you can get some good insulated food containers these days, which would widen your scope.

• Like 2

Do you have any sort of insulated food box that would keep food warm, if there is no microwave? If so then any pasta dishes are good pre-dancing, or risotto/rice-based dishes. It does depend how long your dd would have to eat and digest food before class begins. If it's not very long then something energy-giving but easily digested would be best.

Edited to add that Janet and I were posting at the same time. :-)

• Like 2

thermos do a food flask- my DD used to have pasta bolognese etc for school lunch as she has never been keen on sandwiches. They even do a nice pink one if your DD is that way inclined!

see eg http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/276-5961177-7468256?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=thermos%20food%20flask&sprefix=thermos+food%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Athermos%20food%20flask

• Like 4

How old is your dd Moomin and what time is her class?

I have a great recipe for a one pot chicken dish that I have used on dance nights that is nutritious, delicious and not too heavy.

It can be cooked earlier or in a slow cooker, transferred to a thermos food flask to take to dancing, or can be microwaved or is ready if slow cooked when you get in.

Of course it depends what time you get home.

My Dd is now nearly 17 and gets herself to her CAT scheme from 6th form during the week, she will take a bean salad and some fruit with her and I have a light hot meal ready for her when she gets in. She often has a couple of hours of homework to do before bed so has time to digest it!!

I appreciate it would be more tricky with little ones but even when younger my dd never seemed to have trouble sleeping after a late dance finish and late meal!! :-D

Edited by Kitschqueen_1
  • Like 2

Hummous has good calcium content so a very good snack for dancers of any age with some sort of nice whole bread Rye or rye/wheat mix or pitta or even carrots. One of my favourites is some sort of good quality soup(but Heinz tomato would do!) and carrots cut into thinnish slices with humours dip plus a banana. Also Pret a manger do a little pot of mango slices with a lime slice which is absolutely delicious but a bit of an expensive way to buy it admittedly!

On Saturdays when I'm rushed to get out to class by 11 I sometimes have banana and jam sandwiches.....again a good quality jam say raspberry, strawberry blackberry or my absolute favourite mulberry is better if it has more fruit content. Or porridge with mulberry jam is delicious!!

Having just bought the dancers Nutrition book by Zerlina Mastin I'll see If she comes up with something as there is a whole chapter on Dancers on the Go which I haven't read yet!!

As you can probably tell am absolutely starving at mo.....just got back from Spanish class and partner is preparing a bacon and bean sandwich (he is the cook....and a very very good one lucky for me.....smells coming from the kitchen..... Mmmmm....time of eating not that good though especially if want to lose weight!

• Like 2

I have been told that my "do it yourself" muesli is very nutricious.  I sometimes have it for meals other than breakfast.

It's basically porridge oats with seeds (usually pumpkin because I like them best), dried fruit and fresh fruit.  At the moment I am using blueberries and mango but I also use banana, strawberry, blackberry, raspberry.  Pineapple doesn't work for me - it seems to react with the milk and gives a funny taste.  The porridge oats are brilliant because they give a slow release of energy.

• Like 2

She is only 7 and she won't get home until about 7pm so I don't think she'd last until afterwards. My younger daughter has a lesson first so she has around an hour to eat & digest. Thanks for the links will definitely get one of those food flasks, pasta, rice etc always goes done well. I love home made muesli too Janet, it is one of the few things that keep me going til lunch. Currently adding dates, pumpkin seeds and pecans, I like it with pouring yogurt instead of milk too. Lin you must be starving! I get so grumpy when I'm hungry, I always have to eat before ballet!

Kitsch queen if you have time to share your chicken recipe that would be lovely, the slow cooker definitely comes in handy round here!

• Like 4

We too have found spaghetti bog in a Thermos brand food flask works well for ds if he needs a hot meal before/between classes. Avoid the Stanley Aladdin food flask that comes with a stainless steel bowl lid as it is heavy, expensive, and not nearly as efficient at holding the heat!

Dh and dd make up a packet soup and then add cooked rice (can be from one of those microwave packets) to take walking in the hills. Very quick to do!

• Like 3

We had about 4 years of doing this and the thermos food flasks do work really well.  My DD often had pasta.  Her favourite was also the tomato soup (had to be tomato) and she would take the nairns cheesy oatcakes to eat with it.  We have done the jacket potato too - I cut it, added the cheese and double wrapped it in foil and popped it in one of the ordinary childrens thermal lunchboxes.  It was about an hour from me making it before she got to eat and it was still nice and warm.  Another favourite were filled tortilla wraps.  These also stay warm if you double wrap with tin foil and put in a lunchbox as above.  And don't forget the banana or fruit salad for pudding!

• Like 8

Tray.... brill idea DD always wears her food on our eating out days.

I think we all need to remember that the best healthiest, nutrious food does not have to be hot or cooked!.

If you are really concerned with nutrition etc raw veg like carrots, mange tout, sugar snap pears, red pepper and maybe hummus or prawns/tuna in small bit of mayo would we better for you than a huge bowl of dead pasta. Veg omelette i like a asparagus one cold for breakfast.

Make your own cereal bars from the healthy muesli or maybe just muesli with plain yog instead of milk.

i take the opportunity to get nuts into my daughter on car journeys as they are now banned from her school.

• Like 4

Tray.... brill idea DD always wears her food on our eating out days.

I think we all need to remember that the best healthiest, nutrious food does not have to be hot or cooked!.

If you are really concerned with nutrition etc raw veg like carrots, mange tout, sugar snap pears, red pepper and maybe hummus or prawns/tuna in small bit of mayo would we better for you than a huge bowl of dead pasta. Veg omelette i like a asparagus one cold for breakfast.

Make your own cereal bars from the healthy muesli or maybe just muesli with plain yog instead of milk.

i take the opportunity to get nuts into my daughter on car journeys as they are now banned from her school.

I agree that the veg are an important addition but we are talking about a 7 year old for whom this will be there evening meal and before exercise, carbs eg pasta or rice are extremely important and should not be thought of as something children should not eat. Adults can restrict carbs children need them to grow and for their bodies to produce energy. All things in moderation is my moto!

• Like 3

If you google NHS 'change for life'.They used to have healthy meals and snacks suitable for children. Not sure if any can be used for 'on the go' but my older children love most of the recipes. Today I'm making bogeyman soup for after a cold football match :)

• Like 2

I agree that the veg are an important addition but we are talking about a 7 year old for whom this will be there evening meal and before exercise, carbs eg pasta or rice are extremely important and should not be thought of as something children should not eat. Adults can restrict carbs children need them to grow and for their bodies to produce energy. All things in moderation is my moto!

I hesitate to mention the word, but.... chips?!!!! Once a week won't do any harm, and as outofmydepth says, carbs (and fats also) are an important part of children's diets.

• Like 3

Bogeyman soup sounds interesting, I will definitely have a look thanks amethyst. I am quite relaxed about her eating, I believe everything in moderation too, she doesn't like chips though! (and I would end up eating them ;-) ).

• Like 4