Tring, elmhurst & RBS auditions for yr 9 vocational training

amanda-w

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum although I've been reading the info on here which has been so helpful. Dd is doing the audition rounds for vocational training for entry into year 9, she's auditioning for RBS (15th jan in Bristol) Elmhurst (no date yet) & Tring (21 nov). I thought it may be helpful to find some people doing a similar round of auditions to me to share info and support each other as I've found this is taking over my life and my husband is sick of hearing me talk about it :-)

My daughter desperately wants to go to Elmhurst but I understand its difficult getting a place for year 9 as the existing students are not assessed out until the end of year 9 so she would have more of a chance for year 10 whereas RBS students are assessed out every year. Does anyone know about tring?

From my experience if the school have a place, and your daughter is considered suitable then a place may be offered regardless of how many are assessed out etc.  I think its the 'not knowing' and speculation which causes the main concern during the coming months - try not to stress and enjoy the journey, it will be over before you know it.  There are no certainties, explanations or blueprints - if there were we would all have the answers.

Places can be awarded to Y9 students to start after the Easter term rather than waiting until the September start in Y10 so there may be no more spaces available in Y10 even if children have left the school.

One point for us all to remember when we are talking about numbers and assessing out though, it is somebody elses DD/DS who has worked so hard and often through no failing of their own finds themselves leaving their friends and having to change schools - they aren't a statistic or a place :-)

Edited by BankruptMum
  • Like 9

The knot in your stomach that you feel all the way through the audition process just tightens when they are successful.! In my experience its stressful getting in but far moreso staying in ! I fear the upset my dd will experience if she comes home and also the loss if she stays and her friends go home !

Its the ultimate rollercoaster ride :) I wish all getting on board the best of luck xx

• Like 1

From my experience if the school have a place, and your daughter is considered suitable then a place may be offered regardless of how many are assessed out etc.  I think its the 'not knowing' and speculation which causes the main concern during the coming months - try not to stress and enjoy the journey, it will be over before you know it.  There are no certainties, explanations or blueprints - if there were we would all have the answers.

Places can be awarded to Y9 students to start after the Easter term rather than waiting until the September start in Y10 so there may be no more spaces available in Y10 even if children have left the school.

One point for us all to remember when we are talking about numbers and assessing out though, it is somebody elses DD/DS who has worked so hard and often through no failing of their own finds themselves leaving their friends and having to change schools - they aren't a statistic or a place :-)

Absolutely agree.

Welcome to the forum, AmandaLou. :-)

• Like 1

The knot in your stomach that you feel all the way through the audition process just tightens when they are successful.! In my experience its stressful getting in but far moreso staying in ! I fear the upset my dd will experience if she comes home and also the loss if she stays and her friends go home !

Its the ultimate rollercoaster ride :) I wish all getting on board the best of luck xx

and to be fair it is very stressful for those who don't get in and never get in to Lower School.  Because then, after the doubts and questions of why your DC didn't get in, comes the very long and stressful hours of finding good local schools and teachers who will help and support, auditioning for associate programs, fitting in homework, long, long hours travelling in the car, in the dark to lessons whilst doing homework every night, working with academic schools to help support the time needed to dance and travel... the list goes on....

but moving on...  I would echo Bankruptmum's point that there really is no point in trying to guess or find out what places are available, what years should you audition etc.  I believe that if a school wants your DC they will sort out the logistics anyhow.  I know this from auditioning every year at schools and knowing friends/acquaintances of my DD who have, or have not, got places.

Just enjoy the journey, make time to do other things around the audition day, maybe have a meal out after or some shopping because you want to look back on it/them as good experiences whether or not your DC gets a place.

• Like 3

and to be fair it is very stressful for those who don't get in and never get in to Lower School. Because then, after the doubts and questions of why your DC didn't get in, comes the very long and stressful hours of finding good local schools and teachers who will help and support, auditioning for associate programs, fitting in homework, long, long hours travelling in the car, in the dark to lessons whilst doing homework every night, working with academic schools to help support the time needed to dance and travel... the list goes on....

I am completely with you! I have one of these dc as well ! :(

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies, all your experiences and opinions are helpful and I didn't mean to cause any offence by using the term 'assessing out' it's very unfortunate that children are given such an amazing opportunity and then it can be taken away a year later or even at the end of the term with an associate course and I certainly wasn't referring to any child as just a statistic. My daughter is in an associate programme and understands the pressures, although not to the extent of a full time student. She also knows she needs to fight for her place and put in 100% every week as there are so many talented and dedicated children out there that would do anything for the opportunity. She's also had a 'no' for year 7 entry into RBS so has experienced this disappointment too.

Just enjoy the journey, make time to do other things around the audition day, maybe have a meal out after or some shopping because you want to look back on it/them as good experiences whether or not your DC gets a place.

Great advice, it's all good experience

• Like 1

Hi Amandalou

My daughter has just recieved her audition date for Elmhurst, 19th November, though she will be auditioning for yr 10.  Haven't recieved the date for Hammond yet.  She is desperate to go to either school but I think the sensible was to look at it is to prepare well and try your best, with the realisation that there are not enough places for all the talented dancers and the likelihood is that they may not get a place.  The stress on children can be immense, but a realistic and sensible attitude to the process is key.  It will be an amazing experience, no matter what the result!

• Like 2

Hi Amandalou 

welcome to the forum . It doesnt seem a moment since my ds was doing year 7 auditions , and now is doing so again for 6 th form vocational training . it is good to share the experience with others in the same boat , as even DH sometimes tire of ballet talk , or dont speak the language !! 

I wish your dd every success . I dont think we shall be in the same place at the same time as 6th form auditions are separate , but we shall be covering the same mileage , and perhaps frequenting the same coffee bars. i now seem to be an expert in places to stay/eat in vicinity of vocational schools ! PM me if you like x

• Like 1

Hi Amandalou 

welcome to the forum . It doesnt seem a moment since my ds was doing year 7 auditions , and now is doing so again for 6 th form vocational training . it is good to share the experience with others in the same boat , as even DH sometimes tire of ballet talk , or dont speak the language !! 

I wish your dd every success . I dont think we shall be in the same place at the same time as 6th form auditions are separate , but we shall be covering the same mileage , and perhaps frequenting the same coffee bars. i now seem to be an expert in places to stay/eat in vicinity of vocational schools ! PM me if you like x

Thank you, good luck to your dd too for the 6th form auditions. Has your daughter been in vocational training since year 7, if so which school did she go to?