Dance schools in Manchester

Dance*is*life

My niece is looking for a decent school for her daughters in the Manchester area.  They live in Didsbury and are looking more for an all-round training school rather than a ballet specific school, because the girls love musical theatre.  However, they definitely want serious training, where they'll actually learn something, because they realise now how important technique is. The older one who is 9 has been going to a school round the corner from them, but sadly has rather been wasting her time there. Nuff said.  Any suggestions will be gratefully received and passed on.  Thanks a lot!

I was going to say Centrepointe (in Denton, just off the M60) all the way as your great nieces would most certainly get great technique training there but I'm not sure whether it has the all-round emphasis and the musical theatre work that's wanted. If it were me I would phone them - the principal Caroline Wright (she teaches the Manchester RBS MAs I believe) will be able to confirm what genres are on offer and whether it may be suitable. If it isn't the right place then she may also be able to suggest other dance schools that may fit the bill.

Good luck to your niece! Centrepointe has produced two if not more Billy Elliots, including Matthew Koon ('Got to Dance', now with Northern Ballet having trained further at ENBS) and Tierney Heap (now with the Royal Ballet having gone on to the RBS upper school after Centrepointe).

I too think Centrepointe would be great, that's one I actually have heard of, probably because of Matthew Koon,  but I think she feels that it is a bit far to drive, not sure why - possibly opposite direction to their day school or something.  It might be an idea though for my niece to phone them anyway - thanks for that - I'll suggest it to her.  What I was wondering was if there were any smaller schools that were good.  I myself went to a very small private performing arts school in Wimbledon and it was a gem.  I suppose I was hoping for somewhere like that!  They are both such "performers" - whenever I see them they put on a show for me, singing and dancing - I would really like to see them getting some decent training........

Has she had a look on the northwestdance site?

The Lowry Cat is also excellent. You have to be 12 to audition for the scheme but they do have a weekly class for younger children . Pm me if you want anymore info. I just live down the road from didsbury.

There is a dancing school think it`s in Chorlton but don`t quote me on that. It has been around for ages called Barbara Sharples. When is was about 9 and 10 [`77 and `78],the Barbara Sharples dancers were very good.They won all the competitions in ballet,modern and tap.She wouldn`t enter them unless they  were at a very high standard.The school wiped the floor with the competition every time in everything,every year. Don`t know if it`s still of the same standard or not. Think it`s now called Sharples Theatre School.

I think I remember Barbara Sharples from when I used to do the All-England.  Is that possible - has she been around that long?   I'll inform my niece.  Thank you. She lives in West Didsbury, but the kids go to school in a different area, so I think close to home would be helpful after the long drive to and from school.