Michelle_Richer

Simply Adult Ballet

Well I've just booked the Sleeping Beauty adult  Rep workshop at RAD headquarters in July! 

This is a Saturday one and starts a little later than their sunday ones ....which is good as travelling early on a Sunday is usually not such a good idea .....they're always working on the rail lines up to London on Sunday's though admittedly usually starts to ease off by July.

YBSS are doing an adult ballet masterclass on the middle/crossover Saturday ( 21st July 10am til 1:30pm) of summer school at Askham Bryan College. Copied from their Facebook page apply via the YBSS website.

Adult ballet Class and Solo's Masterclass lead by YBSS Director and former Birmingham Royal Ballet Principal Iain Mackay. For Intermediate and advanced level ages 20+
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mimi'smom said:

YBSS are doing an adult ballet masterclass on the middle/crossover Saturday ( 21st July 10am til 1:30pm) of summer school at Askham Bryan College. Copied from their Facebook page apply via the YBSS website.

Adult ballet Class and Solo's Masterclass lead by YBSS Director and former Birmingham Royal Ballet Principal Iain Mackay. For Intermediate and advanced level ages 20+

I just raced in here to post this, I wasn't sure if I'd be up to scratch so messaged them to check what they describe as inter advanced & got the following,

"Intermediate/advanced as a guideline so that everyone attending can really get the most out of it. I think 3-4 years training is a great marker. That said I can tailor the class as best needed. Does that help? Iain"

Hope this helps anyone make their mind up.

• Like 1

A bit too far for me for a half day workshop but I'm sure it will be good.

Be warned though that the college is quite a bit out of York so last year to watch some classes ended up having to get a rather expensive taxi! I did bus it back but had to wait ages for one to come along and it's a walk to the bus stop. So not wonderfully convenient location but great for the YBSS students who board there as the setting is nice.

• Like 1

Hi LinMM

You could always make a weekend of it with a mini retreat at the Royal Conservatoire Of Scotland base on Scottish Ballet’s production of Cinderella.

Ballet classes will be taught by En Avant Ballet founder Karis Scarlette and Cinderella Repertoire Workshops will be coached by Principal dancer Bethany Kingsley-Garner.

Karis Scarlette was my teacher many moon ago when my monthly treat was doing both ballet classes that evening at the Royal Opera House, but it was extremely expensive.

I wouldn’t mind doing that workshop, but it’s the week before Adrian and I travel up to Ballet West for our one week one-to-one intensive.

I'm already booked on the RAD workshop in London on 21st  though!!

see above post!

Oh okay,  you could always do both. I would have like to see Karis again. I see they do a lot of overseas retreats too, it may be worth a look.

I'm thinking of doing a couple of ENB's taster classes, as I really miss the old place, not that I will be going back.

Err..... I haven't mastered being in two places at once physically just yet Michelle.....though mentally.... unfortunately ....I do find this sometimes possible!!! 

Who did Renato's marathon 2 hours 30 yesterday? "Khruschev! Podgorny! But not....Brezhnev!"

10 hours ago, TYR said:

Who did Renato's marathon 2 hours 30 yesterday?

I did think about coming to London specially for that on Sunday, but I had a lot of work on down here. I'm sorry I missed it - is he teaching regularly back in London now?

Not regularly, but he has been here for weeks here and there. He cancelled earlier in the week and announced a special extra long class that turned out to be built around something of his from Germany. It's probably best to watch his facebook page..

Update: he's here and leading class at CSB for the rest of the week. Then back to Germany. Returns 8th July for most of August. Also, Antonia Franceschi might be about in the first week of June.

Who is Renato for the benefit of those of us who haven't got a clue to whom you are referring?

5 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Who is Renato for the benefit of those of us who haven't got a clue to whom you are referring?

Renato Paroni 

an apparently somewhat  eccentric  Ballet teacher who, when in the UK  and not  off around the world  teaching  at other vocational schools / coaching / ballet mastering   teaches at Central  . including  some of their  open access Evening classes  ... 

the   rosta of teachers for  the  public  classes at Central is  really  rather remarkable https://www.centralschoolofballet.co.uk/classdescriptions.php

13 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Mr Paroni is a master ballet teacher. He has taught in London for several decades - I used to do his classes at Danceworks, and he now teaches adults in the "Central Nights" programme at the Central School of Ballet (an excellent adult programme, by the way). Informally, he is known for teaching long-ish classes - generally running an hour & three quarters or two hours, and he's probably known familiarly, by those who have actually taken his classes, for his very funny metaphors in his coaching & corrections. Yes, he has a distinctive teaching persona.

BUT - a big but - especially for serious dancers ...

He's probably best known in the UK for his connection to the ENB. For a long time, he has been Tamaro Rojo's personal coach, and also works as a choreographer and personal coach for young ENB dancers and students at ENBS. Ms Rojo is a phenomenal turner, and I'd say (from my experience of Renato's teaching) that has been enhanced by her work with Renato. 

He is an extraordinary teacher. He works with a number of other eminent teachers, here and in the USA (Antonia Francheschi, Nina Thilas-Mohs), in teaching the "Equal Weight" method developed by Cristina Bernal (via Maggie Black) - legendary teachers in New York, which is probably the place which rivals London for its dance culture (apols to Paris!). Ms Francheschi danced with the NYCB - specially choreographed for by Balanchine no less!

http://www.peridance.com/facprofile.cfm?fid=1415&name=Antonia_Franceschi

The technique does a lot of work in first, and really works to get you thinking about your weight and turnout in a very functional way. 

My personal experience of Renato's teaching over about 15 years is his extraordinary ability to get adults really safely and securely turned out - I walk out of his classes - even if they're 2 hours long - feeling really well-oiled in my hips, turned out safely, no sore knees, and very lifted & centred. My turns are always good in his classes, and I love his commentaries! He has an absolute eagle eye for corrections. Unfortunuately, he doesn't do the level of hands on corrections that he used to (I suspect some adult dancers have reacted badly) but I can remember, still, the first time I did one of his classes, very nervously at Danceworks - we were still in the plie exercise - and he came up behind me and used practically his whole body to push - gently! -my spine and pelvis into alignment. I got the correction immediately because he was working with my whole body  - there's something about the way he can place your body which is really very very good. I've not experienced that with many other teachers (Hannah Frost has tat ability as well, but teaches quite differently). 

I think he's one of those teachers who homes in on "teachable" students - luckily, I've always been one of those. But some people just don't like his style. And I imagine if all an adult has ever done is syllabus work or basic beginners ballet, his professional outlook (he really does treat adult students like professionals) is challenging. I get that people might not like him, but I think you always need to experience a teacher before dismissing them. I'd always encourage someone to take class with Renato. Even if you don't click with his methods, you won't get injured - at least not through his doing.

• Like 5

I did a class with Renato Paroni one Sunday about four years ago. I think I had gone to Central thinking David Kierce was there and did Renato's class instead.

He definitely has an eccentric touch ....was wearing a boiler suit type thingy with enormous hob naily looking boots but quite liked him as a teacher as like David he can be very funny.

The only problem that day was it was exceptionally crowded .....probably near 40 people present and a massive range of dancers from some Royal Ballet Dancers who were in class( apparently there were no classes at Royal that week!!) to people who had only been doing a couple of years of ballet.

In the Centre he did seem to set slightly different levels .....two groups of slightly harder steps and two with slightly easier ones which would have been very good .....but some annoying people decided to go in almost every group ....some running in at the last minute....grrr.

The barre was very long with loads of tendus which I didn't mind at all and in the end ( though was worried after the long barre) the Centre work overall  wasn't too complex.......the class is called Beginners/General ....and I did think he kept it around this level.

Nice to see how it all should be done by the Royals....I'm sure Marienela Nunez was in class that day....but very unassuming....and some great pirouettes from the male Royals!! 

I would do another of his classes as I mostly enjoyed it .....but not if there are always about 40 there ....have no idea how unusual/ usual this is.

• Like 2

Well, the fact that he attracts that level of dancer tells you something!

And yes, his technique uses a lot of work in tendu, retire, and ronde de jambe. It's usual in an advanced/professional class to do a slow tendu, a fast tendu, a glissé and and a jeté exercise (and those last 2 can be quite different in emphasis) - so this is not so unusual really. I like it - it gets your feet working & you get on your leg - a typical class from Renato or Nina will have a relatively simple barre - easy for an advanced dancer in terns of choreography and accessible to beginners. The centre can then go much faster & with more complexity.

It's probably a shock if you're mostly used to set syllabus work, or conventional & non-professional level classes, but I do like this technique - I find it's also quite kind on an older body!

• Like 1

I think the classes at Central in the evenings and on Sunday's are very good with some excellent teachers and wonderful value .....when I last went £8 for an hour and a half!! Cheaper than here in Brighton.

However I only go rarely now as this was in the days when I first returned to ballet and so before I joined LAB and Alive etc and as am now in London weekly I can only spend so much time there!! So don't have as much time at weekends any more as am in London mid week.

But if anyone is looking for classes then I can generally recommend Central....I personally much prefer to Danceworks even if not all the floors are that perfect to dance on! 

14 hours ago, LinMM said:

I think the classes at Central in the evenings and on Sunday's are very good with some excellent teachers and wonderful value .....when I last went £8 for an hour and a half!! Cheaper than here in Brighton.

However I only go rarely now as this was in the days when I first returned to ballet and so before I joined LAB and Alive etc and as am now in London weekly I can only spend so much time there!! So don't have as much time at weekends any more as am in London mid week.

But if anyone is looking for classes then I can generally recommend Central....I personally much prefer to Danceworks even if not all the floors are that perfect to dance on! 

It's  10 gbp  a class now, but  for a solid hour and a half of   a teacher of the  calibre  that Central Nights has  you can't go wrong  - certainly  if i'm in London  on a weeknight   and can get   ...    last time i was in London was in March for an appointment on the Friday Morning  as   1st class train lunchtime/ mid afternoon  and a night in travelodge is cheaper than trying to  travel on the morning and rather less stressful  delays wise   so I travelled down Thursday afternoon and   decided to have  the rest of friday and some  of saturday  in London  - so  I took David's Thursday  night ' beginners'  class  - yes it's suitable for  total newbies but  for anyone who wants a  decent class taught by a really good teacher  and where  at least half the aching   afterwards is from laughing  ...   I recognised a number  of people  there from TBR   and know they also  take  David;s improvers or improvers plus classes  . 

Friday  I took  Hannah Frost's class at Central  - against  she's a fabulous teacher  and   much fun was had  - also bumped into  a familiar face from TBR  there as well. 

might have to  brave  some of the other classes  next time i'm in the smoke..

and , yes,  the Herbal Hill building has it's own unique charms  ... 

• Like 2

I think it's just not quite so hot and sweaty and NOISY as Danceworks!! ( not to say that there isn't a lot of sweaty work going on of course!  

Going to one of David's classes was a general tonic all round.

• Like 1

Horses for course really. Most good teachers teach at Central, Danceworks and Pineapple variously. I tend to go for particular teachers & levels, rather than the actual studio itself - as long as there are showers, a place to change, and a decent floor, I'm fine. So if I'm working in London Friday-Saturday-Sunday, I'll do Nina Thilas Mohs' class at Central on Friday night & at Danceworks on Sunday afternoon (but her classes are quite a way above Beginners) and Hannah Frost's Beginners at Danceworks on Saturday to keep me tuned up & working on the basics. If I'm in town on Monday, I don't like to miss Adam Pudney's class. I guess the 7pm start of Central's night programme is good for those tied to office hours - the 4:30 start of Danceworks ballet classes can be a bit of a push. 

• Like 1

I agree the teacher comes before the venue every time!! 

Its just me ......I'm not keen these days on either Pineapple or Danceworks studios because they are stifling and lacking in air generally ....and everyone plays the music at full Belt!! I can't even stand ballet class music on so loud it's sometimes painful! ( when my ears are working properly that is....another thread!) 

Central just seems to have a generally calmer air about it. But in the end I go for the teacher not the studio.

• Like 1

On 09/05/2018 at 15:58, LinMM said:

He definitely has an eccentric touch ....was wearing a boiler suit type thingy with enormous hob naily looking boots but quite liked him as a teacher as like David he can be very funny.

On Sunday - at 28 degrees outside - he showed up wearing a fur-lined parka.

• Like 1

Yes that figures somehow!!

Just like you would never have guessed he was a ballet teacher on the day I attended class.....in fact initially I thought he must be the pianist or something....it was those boots ....but come to think of it not that appropriate for a pianist either!!

Grade 2 ISTD done today. Nobody died, so all went reasonably well. 😂

Now to talk my teacher into Grade 3 in November so I can catch up with my wife. 

• Like 6

Great that you took the exam when do you get result? 

21 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Great that you took the exam when do you get result? 

Eventually. The ISTD admin in Ireland is capricious at best.