Simply Adult Ballet: the progress of one adult dancer who took up ballet later in life

Michelle_Richer

Are you performing this Giselle variation somewhere Michelle or are just learning it so thoroughly for your own enjoyment so to speak.

I heard from the Rambert this morning and am so lucky will be doing a ballet class in their new premises the day after City Academy......just hope can last out!!

Also on the Tuesday am doing a contemporary class there and we are getting a tour of the new building and a chance to see part of Rambert Company class.

So as said on Rambert thread this is turning out to be a great birthday week for me as on the sat 7th am watching Rambert in rehearsal with a Q and A session at the end and all in the new premises in the afternoon and then in the eve am off to ROH to see R and J with Osipova and Acosta. Honestly what more could you want!!!

• Like 1

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Lin

That sounds fantastic.

Giselle and various other solo variations will become potential performance pieces, but nothing actually planned for that one as yet. Don’t forget our City Academy’s Swan Lake at ROH has a friends and family performance on the 1 st December, I have two public paying performances at our Lincoln show on 6 and 7th December, then I hope you will be at the LAB Spring Intensive at RBS where we are doing something from Sleeping Beauty, large friends and family performance too.

Don’t forget with these and the other workshops I’m doing all helps widen my horizons, I never stop and watch the grass grow or the paint dry, I already have my eye on a pianist, and she is very good a performer in her own right.

• Like 1

I hope to do the Spring Intensive in April.....just hope I remember the booking date November 11th.....should remember that date for other reasons too of course...but they do say preference will be given to previous attendees so if there is a big take up may be unlucky on this one. Anyway on am LAB mailing list so may send a reminder! Otherwise I might like the July intensive as the August one follows straight on from Chelsea Ballet Summer School so I know I won't want to do two consecutive weeks.

On Anjuli's thread ....So you want to be a dancer etc....a newspaper article has been posted this morning about Scottish Ballets adult ballet scheme and the dancers in the clip are all 60's and 70's mostly with a couple of 80plus! So you may have plenty of time yet Michelle!!

• Like 2

Haven't seen that one, but funny you should say that, I'm with Scottish Ballet on Monday doing their intermediate class, as my regular ones for Monday are on half term break, Tuesday I'm strait down from Glasgow to London for my two classes for ENB then back home. A couple of light days I guess for me.

• Like 1

I hope you're doing all this on the advanced fare scheme Michelle.....could cut your costs by half!!

I do love train journeys though. When you get to Paris from Eurostar there are trains going everywhere and I really fancy those double decker ones.

When I used to come back from Nantes station there was a train going to Avignon which I often fancied jumping on!

I suppose you could travel Europe doing ballet classes if you wanted a sort of extended ballet holiday!!!

On the weekend of November 22/24th will be up near Harrogate as Partner wants to go to wood work show there so was thinking of trying to make it into Leeds and at least see the Northern Ballet premises for first time etc even if dont get to do a class!! I think the company are touring though so don't think any performances that weekend unfortunately either.

• Like 1

On the weekend of November 22/24th will be up near Harrogate as Partner wants to go to wood work show there so was thinking of trying to make it into Leeds and at least see the Northern Ballet premises for first time etc even if dont get to do a class!! I think the company are touring though so don't think any performances that weekend unfortunately either.

A company called 2Faced Dance are on at the theatre in NB's HQ on 23rd November.

http://theatreleeds.com/d/?q=dep-arts/2faced-dance

The cafe on the ground floor is open to the public too.

• Like 1

Thanks Janet will see how it works out time wise on the Saturday. But even if dont get to performance would like to have a look at the place etc. I can usually only take woodwork shows for about an hour!!

Ive got it in mind to catch them at The Mayflower in Southampton in May as on the Friday 30th doing Three Little Pigs and on Saturday Midsummers night dream....and have had an idea to go to his theatre for a while! So this seems to fit together well!

• Like 2

You will certainly be well travelled Michelle

I’m always in search of excellence.

I hope you're doing all this on the advanced fare scheme Michelle.....could cut your costs by half!.

I did get advanced tickets but they had gone up from the day before, things were uncertain so I had to leave it to the last minute (Thursday), but hey ho, its still a lot less expensive than the full fare, and of course I use my rail card too. The only downside is, I only have 15minutes between trains at Edinburgh Waverly station, so I have downloaded a platform map of the station.

Although I’m travelling light, which is unusual for me, as I was carrying five and a half stone of luggage during the last summer schools in London? But I will be taking my little DVD player and familiarising myself with the Swan Lake scenes which City Academy has selected for us. This way I make productive use of the time on the train, so I am fully prepped by the time we get to the Rep Workshop at ROH.

Balleteacher, I think the word “subjective” is the key, because objectively, the only realistic measure of excellence for a mature dancer is their personal pleasure in their dancing. As they grow in competence, that might include taking exams for their own satisfaction, but enjoyment should surely be the prime aim.

It's good that the ballet companies are reaching out to provide classes for amateurs and I hope it's a much-needed source of income for them, but I think most people realise that professional-level classical ballet is for properly-trained younger bodies: even Sylvie Guillem has had to adjust with age in order to maintain her high artistic standards. There used to be a troupe of aged Russian ladies who performed classical extracts on point with most of the right steps, but they played it, deadpan, as a comedy act, there was no other way to do it. (I wonder if the Trocks ever saw them?)

It seems to me that the most successful mature dancers are those who avoid self-delusion and injury while following their own dream in full awareness of its limitations – and I get the feeling that quite a few of our posters are achieving this.

Please, all you dancers and amazingly generous teachers, keep posting. I don't dance but what I pick up here helps me appreciate what I see on stage even more.

• Like 7

Thanks Janet will see how it works out time wise on the Saturday. But even if dont get to performance would like to have a look at the place etc. I can usually only take woodwork shows for about an hour!!

Quarry Hill is certainly impressive.  I don't think you can do tours of the building but even just having a drink in the cafe gives you an idea of the hustle and bustle!  From Harrogate, it's a really nice bus drive direct to Leeds (the no 36 is the most direct route) and the bus station is only a couple of hundred yards from Quarry Hill.

Of course, in Harrogate you must try and go to Bettys......

And glorious Knaresborogh is only 2 stops up the line from Harrogate (towards York).  The most spectacular way to arrive there is on the train.  Or it's a 15 minute bus ride.

• Like 2

Janet thanks so much I really fancy the bus ride from Harrogate so will investigate further especially now even got the bus no. I did look on the map and could see its very near the bus/coach station so very convenient. It's a long time since been to Leeds and alas The original Harry Ramsdens is no more much to partners chagrin....he loves fish and chips and once won Harry's challenge in the original restaurant there!!

I didn't know about Knaresborogh....don't tempt me with a little train ride too....perhaps we can do on the Sunday!!

And Betty's in Harrogate....well missed this in York in the summer so will definitely try to find in Harrogate!!

• Like 1

Hi Balleteacher

An interesting framing of your question. Attending the large number of ballet classes that I do, gives me exposure to a large number of teachers with different abilities and styles. For me ballet is about both learning and enjoyment, but I would place learning as the priority. In that I would place the skill of the teacher in imparting that knowledge into my long term memory allowing me to take away and utilise those dance skills effectively elsewhere, at the head of my priority list, secondly but significantly enjoyment and finally the facilities.

If I can give contrasting examples to illustrate this point.:

On the one hand you may have a teacher that is a retired principal ballerina and cleverly show off her performing skill to the class as a enchainement to be performed across the room. Although it may have some enjoyment factor from simultaneously copying, by retaining only some bits in short term memory. Unless I can fully recall that later from long term memory the exercise has largely been wasted. I have often experienced something in my professional life which also illustrates the same point, especially from professional conferences. Often someone would say to me about the speaker “Wow wasn’t he good”, I would say “did you understand him”, reply “Well no, but I though he knew what he was talking about”. My point, pure entertainment with no learning.

Something else I find a little irritating and slopping, is when a teacher illustrates an enchainement by walking across the room either talking the movement or partially doing an occasional movement. As that presentation was sloppy it almost imparts a sloppiness to me that my performance across the room doesn’t really matter, and that’s sad. Leaning is limited and I think the enjoyment factor suffers too, as we all like to do well or at least try too and it be recognised too.

I would rather have an Arthritic teacher in a rundown studio, but who could clearly and effectively go through what she wanted to see from an enchainement, although her demonstration would be lacklustre against my first example, you knew she was doing her very best, furthermore you knew her heart was in teacher YOU, each and every one of you, but who had the ability to impart that knowledge so you could remember it, dance it, and recall it late. For me that teacher is priceless and so is the immense pleasure of learning and taking away.

There are other aspects I look for from teachers, but I guess I would rate those as bonus points, as I like to regard the relationship as a partnership, its takes both of us to make a success of things. After class I’m always quizzing teachers on various aspects of ballet, often movement not covered in our class. Unfortunately the responses are mixed, some are extremely helpful others may be, “We don’t do this at this class or at this level”, not only is it unhelpful but I will do it anyway, with or without guidance. I know that not all teachers have the time to spend after class as they sometimes have other classes following, but those that do I often seek homework to help my progression.

I always love a teacher that is prepared to go the extra mile, especially if I am working on my own choreography, occasionally one of my teachers and I to dance part of my choreography together, for me that is a very special moment.

Irrespective of the type of teacher, I always thank them and the pianist at the end of class, that’s my style and for me that's important.

• Like 1

Just a thought Lin,

If you are able to get down to Leeds during your Harrogate weekend, the West Yorkshire Playhouse is very close to Quarry Hill (you can't miss it as it is directly opposite the bus station) and is also worth a peep in.  There are productions on in both the auditoria on 23rd November.  We all love NB's seasons at WYP - there is such a fantastic atmosphere there:

http://www.wyp.org.uk/what%27s-on.aspx?month=Nov&year=2013

Yes Ive had a look there if nothing else will be having a day of tea and cakes in nice places by the sound of it!

One thing....we had intended staying in Harrogate where this show is but when went to actually book yesterday the price of the rooms had gone up enormously......early bird catches the worm and all that.....should have done it last weekend!!.....so are now booked into Travellodge in Tadcaster!! Which looks as if in middle of a field!!

However it does look as if that is near the main road from York to Leeds so still possible by bus to Leeds I'm sure!

Knowing R he could well want to do the Sunday at the Woodwork show as well!! So then I might go to Harrogate and find Betty's and probably go to Knaresborough Have sent off for info etc.

Only one more thing now Harry's is gone does anyone know of a good fish and chip shop in Leeds/York/Harrogate area?

This is really for another thread I realise but not sure what to call it!!

Hi Lin

If you get to Leeds you may want to check this one out: https://www.leedsgrandtheatre.com/Online/default.asp

I may be doing a workshop there in December.

I have booked LAB term 2 today to start in the new year on Thursdays at RAD headquarters, it does look a bit awkward to get to though. I would have preferred Saddler's but it would mean giving up one of my ballet schools that have public paying performances and that would never do, especially as I tend to nag them about what to put on, I couldn't just dump them, I'm not like that.

Well it's out of the way but ALL the way on a 19 bus which you can pick up in Central London.....or get to Sloane Square on the underground and pick up the 19 from there.

Also the possibility of Vauxhall on the Victoria Line and a bus from there....forgotten number off hand.

Google suggests Piccadilly line to South Kensington then a No 49 Bus at (D) then to (BE) and walk the rest.

Clapham junction looks like another possible, then its a 15 minute walk to RAD.

I assume the Imperial Wharf bridge does not have a foot bridge as that would be the shortest route.

I'm pretty sure longer than a 15 min walk from Capham Junction!!

Also you really want the shortest bus journey for when you are in a hurry! That's probably from Vauxhall or Clapham junction.....but won't Clapham Junction only get you to Victoria or Waterloo so still have to get the tube!

Where do you come into London is that Kings Cross or Liverpool Street?

This might help: http://www.rad.org.uk/article.asp?id=161&realCat=111

We always get the 170 bus as it stops right outside HQ. It's a lovely bus ride from Victoria; lots to see.

If you get the 170, get off the bus but turn left as if walking back the way you came; the gates to the courtyard where HQ is are just there on your right on the same side of the road.

Don't get off and carry on walking in the same direction as the bus as you'll have missed HQ.

Having done both the suggested route from South Kensington and the 170 bus from Victoria to get to RAD headquarters I would say that it is definitely quicker on the 170 bus as spanner suggests. The bus journey is slightly longer but without the walk at the end, overall it is a quicker way to get to RAD HQ and far nicer in bad weather!!

• Like 1

By tube it's also probably quicker from Kings Cross to Victoria. It's about 15 mins on the tube!! As Victoria line is a fast one on the whole.

I haven't tried the 170 bus route so may be quicker....a lot depends on exactly what time of day you'll be travelling!

I quite like the 19 route as when I got on in Islington took me all the way practically with just a 7-10 min walk the other end(if you didn't miss the turning! I think Ive made the same mistake a couple of times now!) However could take for ever sometimes especially around Knightsbridge!

Also some buses are much more frequent than others so that's worth checking too.

You could have fun trying them all out!!

What an awful day, not just the weather. I arrived at Peterborough Station full of cheer after having my hair done, about an hour or so before my train was due out for Edinburgh. When the train first appeared on the notice board it was running 3 minutes late (I only have 16mins for my connection to Glasgow), Just after that all trains were suspended on the East Coast main line. There had been a serious incident with the overhead power cables (I think a train had fowled some and they had come down). The station staff said it would be at least two hours and possibly all day before services were resumed back to normal.

That certainly took the wind out of my sales, no Scottish ballet and £200 down and nothing to show for it. I phoned Scottish ballet from the station, my Travel Lodge Invoice did not have a phone number so I couldn’t cancel it until I got home, so that cant be recovered.

Not a nice day, I wish I had stayed in bed.

When you fill the form in for the rail refund Michelle please mention your losses on the class and hotel.  Many years ago, I was in a similar situation trying to get to London.  I got my train fare refunded and an ex-gratia payment that covered about half the cost of the theatre ticket I couldn't use.

How awful this had to happen.

• Like 2