Simply Adult Ballet: the progress of one adult dancer who took up ballet later in life

Michelle_Richer

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Lin

The Fairy solo’s we are doing are the first two, I think the intention is we a have a go at both and choose. For me its Fairy No 1 “Candide”, I’ve already put a lot of time in that one but still got a bit more to go. I’m now working on Aurora, but I am led to believe that I may not be able to perform both at the end of course show, for that I will be disappointed. I can help think some of Aurora will be simplified as you can’t have potentially 25 dancers doing travelling turns in a circle at the end, and we have three groups of 25.

During one of the break periods today I managed pose’s in a circle around the Sadler’s Wells studio at our Swan Lake workshop.

I haven’t as yet started on the friends dance as that will be re-choreographed, but I will get to grips with the basic movement and combinations as most of those I guess will feature in our piece somewhere.

Lin you will have sore feet if you do Grand Jete's down the high street, otherwise I would most probably be doing them.

Hi Dave

Yes your link makes a lot of sense, particularly your comment “you don’t need to worry too much about clothing before you go – the important things to have are ballet shoes”, then just go and see. I remember the second class I went to had what appeared as a strict dress code of black leo, black chiffon tie round skirt, pink ballet tights and slippers. When I got there I was the only one that complied, when I queried this with the organizers, I was told they could not enforce it and if they did they would loose a lot of dancers.

I think the important thing about clothing is to make sure the teacher can see the profile of your arms and in particular your legs in your ballet movements. In any case tight legging are almost as common as leotards in all the classes I attend.

I do like the bit about the male dancers moving heavy barres, I have known them at one of my classes to leave it too the girls, mainly me and another, we always had to do it. This term things are much better.

Hi Lin

What therapy has your physio recommended between now and the spring intensive, if she is confident you will be OK. There isn’t an awful in the way of jumps in the reps, is more likely you will meet these in the general class beforehand. First Faire variation has no jumps at all, the second does but it’s a short sequence, Aurora has sissonne’s, but we both did the Aurora variation with Franziska last year, all except the traveling turns in a circle, which I don’t think is practical this time with 25 dancers on stage at a time. However the corps de ballet piece is quite jumpy but that will get re-choreographed for a larger number of dancers.

What do you think.

I thought I was going to be in a bit of trouble today after 7 hours of Swan Lake yesterday finishing a very heavy week, especially with that cygnet dance at the end of the session, but I managed my three classes today and the only issue I have found was last thing tonight during our pointe session, when slowly coming down off point, the back of my ankle on the right foot was very sore as the back of the pointe shoe pressed on it, so it was quickly down with an “ouch”.

Edited by Michelle_Richer

When I'm in a hurry those little pots of mango with a lime slice you get from Pret are very good for a quick energy boost as well!!

When I do a workshop I usually take a small bag of dried fruit (love dried apricots) with me to get through the day....plus the inevitable bananas of course.

Thanks Michael I'll PM you later as we know each other fairly well!!

Chelsea Ballet in the days of Thelma?!! We once did a Hungarian dance together!! Hope to see you in August anyway as am planning on doing the Chelsea Ballet Summer school again this year.......injury permitting!!!

• Like 2

Hi Michael

Welcome to the forum, its nice to see a person with a real face and a real name.

We have met; I was at last years Chelsea Ballet and loved your enchainement you built up day by day to that Harold's piece of music.

I tend to be the Black Swan (Bad girl) of this forum with my contentious comments.

• Like 2

Hi Terpsichore

I should be at Northern Ballet for AnneMarie’s classes on the 1st of April as my classes at ENB are on break that week, will you be there that week?.

Wednesday the 2nd is either Paul Lewis at RBS, or Godance at Sleaford as I haven’t been there for a long time.

As for Adult Beginners, ENB not only have Level1 Adult Beginner, but also Absolute Beginners

• Like 1

Hi Terpsichore

I should be at Northern Ballet for AnneMarie’s classes on the 1st of April as my classes at ENB are on break that week, will you be there that week?.

Wednesday the 2nd is either Paul Lewis at RBS, or Godance at Sleaford as I haven’t been there for a long time.

As for Adult Beginners, ENB not only have Level1 Adult Beginner, but also Absolute Beginners

Hi Michelle_Richer

I usually attend Annemarie's Thursday class but I will try to take the Tuesday one too. It will be good to meet you again.

Hi Terpsichore

That good, will you be doing both classes, that end at 12.45pm, I will be and that gives me a chance to go for a coffee and bun with the girls at the café just round the corner (opposite the BBC) as I'm taking a slightly later train back at 2.45.

Hi Fiz

Wow, Pacific Blue is a gorgeous colour, I have turquoise leo's which is about the closest which is a much deeper and darker colour, but I do like that pacific blue. Which style of Moi have you gone for and can you get a matching chiffon skirt to go with it?

I'm getting excited too, as my delivery of tutu’s from Just Ballet will be due towards the end of this month.

• Like 1

It's Calista, Michelle. It has spaghetti straps and a diamanté accent on the back and the bust area mimics it with tiny sparkly bits in the fabric. I suspect it would suit the tinier girls in my class much better than me but I don't care. I love it!

• Like 3

You asked me about a matching skirt, Michelle. There doesn't appear to be but I have emailed Thelma to ask if there could be one or a toning colour.It depends on the cost, though. I was very impressed to see that the price of the demi skirt (which I bought for my eldest for a show in 2005) has not increased in all this time! Wow! How many other commodities can say the same?

Hi Sheila

Fantastic, can’t wait. I’m so excited.

I will try and give you a ring on Wednesday as I’m in London all day tomorrow (Tuesday), with morning one-to-one rep coaching, trustee pension meeting in the afternoon at my old parent companies HQ, then two evening classes at ENB, so quite a full day, with home at 1am, legs permitting.

• Like 1

Hello again! I dare not comment on the fashion designs being discussed (lol) but I would like to go back to the question of the attitude derrière.

I made up this little exercise (it fits nicely to the White Skaters' Adage from Les Patineurs) and tried it on my class at Pineapple on Monday (yesterday) morning. It worked brilliantly. I'll be using it again at my class at Central School of Ballet on Thursday evening.

Face croisée in fifth. Chassée to fourth taking the weight entirely over the front foot and raise back leg to attitude, feeling the natural balance between the arms in open fourth and the leg at the back. Promenade in attitude. Pas de bourré piqué over through two retirés, close fifth front. Chassée to fourth with circular port de bras with the downstage arm, soutenue  and little relevé in fifth. Repeat other side.

I hope this will help you to feel the necessary pull up and natural balance to avoid cramp in attitude.

On the subject of holidays, I am delighted to say that my Monday classes at Pineapple will take place on Easter Monday, as well as the early and late Spring Bank Holiday Mondays: Classes at Harlow Ballet have to stop on Bank Holidays, as the Studio Rent trebles (!!!) but I have no intention of stopping my Thursday evening Central classes (unless the school closes). I make no apology for thinking that regularity in classes is so very important for amateur dancers, as being fit enough and confident enough is an important part of being able to enjoy the performance of the dance-art we all love.

If you haven't booked your "summer intensive" yet, can I put in a word for the Chelsea Ballet Summer Course (already mentioned in this forum), to be held at Pineapple from August 4th - 8th. Pilates, Classical Ballet, Pointe Work and more modern styles are on offer every day and we really have fun! A gorgeous big studio, beautiful music, no pressure and a feeling of working together to enjoy dance. If you've tried it, you know what I mean: if not, give it a go this year. You won't regret it.

Happy dancing days to you all,

Michael

• Like 4

Hi Terpsichore

That good, will you be doing both classes, that end at 12.45pm, I will be and that gives me a chance to go for a coffee and bun with the girls at the café just round the corner (opposite the BBC) as I'm taking a slightly later train back at 2.45.

I will certainly take the 10:30 class but I think the choreography class is a little ambitious for me just now. Perhaps next year. The last tome I tried it I attempted pose pirouettes which I had not covered with Michelle though I had been introduced to them by Fiona Noonan at the Base in Huddersfield. I thought I knew what I was doing and set off with the first group only to find that I didn't. So I am building on what I do know and advancing gradually.

I should however love to join you for refreshments afterwards and we should have a few minutes to chat before Annemarie takes us up to the studio.

Do have a good trip to Leeds. I shall be pleased to see you again and I am sure I speak for everyone in the class.

Edited by terpsichore

Yesterday's dance class at Team Hud was my best ever anywhere.

Our teacher pushed us very hard both physically and mentally.

Physically in that the class which consists mainly of undergraduates were really panting at the end of the session. Panting but giggling and chatting happily. We had all sorts of exercises both at barre and in the centre.

Mentally because the teacher is no longer marking through old step. A quick demonstration accompanied by a "dah, dah, dah, dee, dee, dee, do, dah" and "OK you have a go". And surprisingly we all did without falling over or making too big of a hash of it.

Our teacher trained in Australia and has a typically Antipodean "can do" manner which is rubbing off on to each of us. Even me the great grandmother of the class and certainly the students many of whom started ballet only 8 weeks ago.

Edited by terpsichore
  • Like 4

If you ever make it to the adult classes at Central Ballet there is another lovely Australian "can do" teacher there who has a very cheery class and you"ll have "that's good good good guys" ringing in your ears. When he does have to make some criticisms or corrections it's always with great humour so spurs you on to get on with it!!

He does three levels of classes so should be one to suit!!

Unfortunately because of my injury I have not done any extra classes in London since January so I miss that class (usually for me on a Sunday) and the classes at London Russian. I'm really hoping after Easter to be able to connect with these again.

I did my Russian wed class yesterday for the first time with my medial arch support now stuck securely in ballet shoe. And I did notice a difference in how I was using my foot and infact felt extremely comfortable with them......no balancing probs in adage.....apart that is from my usual wobbles at times.....mostly because back not pulled up enough rather than any foot issue.......but I still did not want to put foot through landing a grand jete or jete en tournant though was able to do tombe piqué turns(I think some call "lame ducks") combined with a piqué turn and soutenus turns......which were sort of okay. So there is an improvement but looks like I'll be in a waiting game of "oo it's better :) oh no it's not :( " for a while longer yet.

Sorry that the injury is still bothering you LinMM but I am glad to detect signs of improvement.

Thanks for the tip about the class at Central.  I will try this chap's class when next in London on a Sunday. He sounds very much like our teacher in Huddersfield.  Her highest praise is "good job!"  She also corrects  her pupils sweetly.

I thought last night's class could not be equalled but it just has been (if not bettered) by Annemarie at Northern Ballet Academy this morning.  We all had such  fun today dancing to the Habanera.

Today I realized for the first time that I get as much pleasure from ballet class as I do from watching ballet in the theatre.  For that reason I am having another go at the second class when Michelle_Richer visits Leeds on Tuesday.

• Like 4

Awww Terpsichore you make me sound like royalty on a state visit to Leeds, I can manage a tiara and fairy wings from the Fairy Variation in Sleeping beauty if that will do.

I haven’t posted very much this week as it’s been a really heavy and challenging week and I wasn’t sure what state I would be in at the end of it, luckily I’m OK.

Monday I did 3 sessions and could not sleep at all Monday night, but not really sure why, possibly excitement or even apprehension of the next day, or just simply too hyped up. Tuesday another three sessions plus an impromptu trustee meeting at my old parent companies HQ. The end of that day I was absolute shattered when I left ENB just before 10pm, we had worked really hard, especially with a lot of jumps/sissonne’s and assemble’s last thing, everyone was tired. I was worried what state of my ankles would be in the following morning. The walk from ENB to the tube station seem to take for ever, I just couldn’t go at my normal pace. The real acid test would be at Peterborough when my legs had stiffened up, lucky they weren’t, however I did use the lifts at Peterborough Station rather than the stairs and I think that helped.

Although I was dead beat when I finally arrived home at 1am, I still found time to do my heel drop therapy. That night I only slept for two hours, I just could not sleep, mainly because of the need to keep flexing my feet to get any form of comfort. After two sessions on Wednesday I was finally able to sleep right through. Today (Thursday ) has just been fantastic. I went to my local village hall and collected the keys from my old ballet teacher, manage to practice and keep refreshed 5 different pieces of repertoire, then it was down to London for my 2 hours of LAB rehearsal. My feet at the end of all that are absolutely fine.

Next week Tuesday and Wednesday will be dancing for pleasure, as my normal rep classes feel more like work as they certainly contain work like properties of schedules, targets and performance where you relentlessly need to push yourself. Don’t get me wrong, I love it, but it’s also nice to have a break or even dance without that pressure just for the joy of dancing.

• Like 2

Awww Terpsichore you make me sound like royalty on a state visit to Leeds,............

Maybe not but it will still be nice to see you again. I mentioned you were coming to several other students yesterday and they are looking forward to seeing you too.

Unfortunately I have to be in London for a talk on Tuesday evening so I can't hang about after class for long.

Awww no red carpet then, seriously they are a lovely bunch of girls at Northern, I see a few of them when we did Cleopatra at The Grand Theatre so they would have known I was coming on the 1st. I too wont be staying long this time, but sufficient to have a coffee and a bun with the girls after the second class as my train leaves at 2.45pm. Normally I would stay on for the evening Intermediate/advanced class, but as I’m so near the LAB Intensive at RBS, I really don’t want to push it on this last week and consider my self extremely lucky to have recovered so quickly and carried on with the intensity I had already planned.

I’ve still got some prep to do and working through my correction from last Tuesdays one-to-one session. Sadly the hall I hire on a Monday is no longer available next week, however I’ve managed to squeeze in between bookings on a Wednesday, then I have Thursday as usual. But this time it has to be practice in a tutu, to replicate what we will be doing in the Intensive, so there are no surprises. I may well video it for my own feedback. I’m not sure what any of the people in the hall car park may think looking through the windows, as the car park is well used for the large village park opposite.

Yes it will be nice to meet you there again too, I should be arriving well before 10am as my train get in at 9.17 ish

Just a quick tip, Michelle_Richer. Annemarie's classes are getting very busy and we are now required to ring ahead to book our places. You can do that today on 0113 220 8000 and I would say the sooner the better.

I will try to get there by 10:00 though I always seem to get phone calls at about that time. It will be good to catch up and hear about all your other classes, workshops and performances.

• Like 1

Michelle_Richer being in town today I took the Improvers and Improvers extra class at Northern Ballet Academy this morning. Although the standard is way above my level as a mere beginner I did my best and found that I could do at least some of the work. Whether I did it well or not or even properly is another matter but I gave it my best shot and had a lot of fun. I even attempted a couple of pirouettes and this time I did not fall flat on my face.

However the main reason to come to class today was to see Michelle_Richer again. Before class she told me all about her other activities. | was very impressed with her taking an intensive class where tutus are de rigeur and dancing as one of Aurora's friends in The Sleeping Beauty though I am not clear whether that is Act 1 (the birthday party) or Act IV (the wedding).

After the two classes Michelle_Richer very kindly invited me to join her and several of the other students at a nearby cafeteria for refreshments. I already knew some of them by sight and this was an opportunity to get to know them better.  I found that I had much in common with the students at my end of the table.

I asked Michelle_Richer whether she had met any of the other members of the forum and she said she had. I was delighted to find that she is regular contact with LinMM and she showed me a picture of her. Michelle_Richer also showed me a picture of herself with Paul Lewis. I sent my love to LinMM and the other members with whom she is in contact.

The weather in Leeds today has been unusually mild and sunny for the time of the year.Perhaps Michelle_Richer brought it to us from Lincolnshire.

Edited by terpsichore
  • Like 1

Hi Terpsichore

The Friends dance is from act1 see the clip:

However this will get highly re-choreographed to accommodate up to 25 dancers, as we will be dancing in 3 groups of 25.

We have two other pieces to do, both solo’s but we will be dancing together; again in tutu’s which is a Fairy Variation, from a choice of first or second fairy, I will take the first “Candide”.

We will also be dancing Aurora’s variation from Act 3, that is the trickier one, but I love it.

Just before I left Northern today I persuaded them to display the RAD “Swan Lake” workshop flyer on one of there notice boards (Fourth floor), at least it’s raised its profile in Yorkshire.