DKs unwell and away from home

CeliB

Aw parents are meant to worry and you had every reason to feel frantic, a perfectly normal reaction I should think. I am sure your son will bounce back especially with the incentive of the performance ahead of him. Best wishes sent to you both.

• Like 2

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all for you kind wishes.. I have now spoken to the Dr at the hospital where DS went for a 24 hour check up and then to him on a long skype call and all seems ok though he is definitely looking a bit woozy and unfocussed. Could however be almost entirely due to missing a night's sleep, and on top of that he has only just had his first proper meal. Have told him to go to bed for the afternoon- and this is when you really want to be there- to make sure it happens rather than him randomly trawling the internet. Sigh...

He was however very amused when I told him about people having head injuries and waking up suddenly able to speak a foreign language- he was quite disappointed not to have acquired Russian. So I guess his sense of humour is intact...

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought all you kind people deserve an update on DS. He had a follow up at concussion clinic this week but nothing very significant said except a staged return to work. He still gets a headache if he does more than 2 hours academic work so the faculty have organised for him to miss a different academic class each day so that he minimises the disruption to any one subject. He is still having to take a painkiller for headache at least once a day. After 3 rehearsal classes in a row he said he was shattered (this was about 7 pm his time) and was planning a hot shower and bed (VERY unusual for him- he's a night owl generally).

On the plus side last week he couldn't spot without getting dizzy and falling off his pirouettes. This week he did multiple double tours (which he has now nailed- hurrah!) and head was ok. And he sounded very cheerful. I didn't dare ask about the pirouettes (his bete noir) as I didn't want to make him feel worse!!!

So I guess the upshot is- reasonably optimistic but a bit of a way to go yet....at least he sounds happy and not scared so that makes me feel better. :)

• Like 15

Does sound then as if he did have quite a bang but obviously on the mend which is great news.

Never mind his multiple tours I wish I could pirouette like your son I would never have guessed was his "bête noir"!!

My dd fell down the stairs and hit her head on the radiator , she knocked herself out and ended up in hospital for night.

Apart from coming home with a swollen forehead looking like something out of startreck she was fine.

I'm sure your ds will be absolutely fine . Thoughts are with you

• 1 month later...

Dear all,

thought i would post an update as you may be wondering about DS- in fact he is now completely recovered and back to normal academic classes and ballet classes, rehearsing furiously for the lead in nutcracker, and the New York performance by all accounts was perfect. So I shouldn't have worried!

ON the other hand his hip is still hurting more or less all the time (they seem completely sanguine about it and say its tendonitis due to him growing so fast and will settle of its own accord- I am somewhat more concerned- but then hey, that's my job!).

So anyways (as DS would say in his Americanese) thank you all for your kindness and support.

will try and post link to performance pic

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=678327665525098&set=a.123947177629819.15411.123720817652455&type=1&theater

:)

edited to say

ps sorry am not totally sure if ok to post link as DS is identified on the pic, but it is publicly out there on the Kirov facebook page- however moderators feel free to take off it is contravenes policy and my apologies

Edited by CeliB
  • Like 11

Delighted to hear your DS has made such a good recovery.

With regard to the hip problem - I have a 15 year old girl pupil who has had a similar problem due to a late rapid growth spurt.  She has been seen by her GP who referred her to a consultant but they couldn't find anything wrong structurally.  She was given some exercises to help by a physio who fortunately had been a dancer, so knew the demands of ballet technique, and the general conclusion was the same as for your DS, just work through it and eventually it will ease.

• Like 1

DD's just called to say she's broken two metatarsals in her foot.  School took her to hospital and she will be in a cast for six weeks,  She appears quite calm and we've worked out in our heads how to get her home on the train for Christmas.  Just sitting here a bit stunned really.

Very sorry to hear this.

As someone who broke one metatarsal, I can tell you that it will heal.  It takes about 6 weeks.  But generally speaking a bone break is preferable to a soft tissue injury.  The problem is the frustration of the dancer.  Since the dancer is not sick - she feels fine - lots of energy - yet cannot dance.

She will have to find other activities to take up her attention and energy.  But she will be fine.

I wish her the very best.

• Like 3

Ah thanks I feel better already and I was hoping Anjuli would have the answer, you always do. What would we do without you?  She'll attend class and watch as they are just starting rehearsals for Swan Lake and hopefully by February she will be well fit to take part in the performances. 

Oh dear- exactly the same happened to DS his first XMas holiday home- he ended up having to stay in the UK for an extra 2 weeks as the consultant wouldn't let him go before the 2 week review (he was concerned as the metatarsals fractured quite close to the growth plates). Good news was that at 2 weeks they took the cast off and put him in a surgical boot (much better as he could easily bath/shower) and he was back in class (although not allowed to demi pointe or jump) after 4 weeks as I recall... there have been absolutely no longer term effects. So hope your DDs recovery is as smooth..... :)

• Like 1